Nausea

Murlie
on 9/28/18 1:11 pm
VSG on 06/15/18

I am 3 months out from a VSG, and have lost 55 lbs. At first I had a lot of reflux, but taking the famotidine has pretty much stopped that. Now (mainly the last few days) I am experiencing nausea, occasionally to the point of vomiting. I get hungry, but it seems worse just before I eat something (it's like the thought of food triggers it) - even sipping water will cause it. It is worse in the morning, and especially when taking my medications. I am forcing myself to drink water and a least some protein shake, but it isn't easy! Any suggestions?

hollykim
on 9/28/18 1:31 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 28, 2018 at 8:11 PM Pacific Time, Murlie wrote:

I am 3 months out from a VSG, and have lost 55 lbs. At first I had a lot of reflux, but taking the famotidine has pretty much stopped that. Now (mainly the last few days) I am experiencing nausea, occasionally to the point of vomiting. I get hungry, but it seems worse just before I eat something (it's like the thought of food triggers it) - even sipping water will cause it. It is worse in the morning, and especially when taking my medications. I am forcing myself to drink water and a least some protein shake, but it isn't easy! Any suggestions?

acid reflux can cause nausea and vomiting. You may need to restart the anti acid med.

dehydration can also cause nausea. How much liquid are you drinking? 64 + oz a day?

MissCheri18
on 9/28/18 4:27 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Since you are taking reflux medication and it seems to have helped it. And since this has just started I think you need to call your doctor this could be a serious issue.

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

Chanelcamp26
on 9/28/18 9:26 am
VSG on 07/24/18

I am right there with you! I have a lot of acid reflux after surgery, never a problem before surgery. I take famotidine as well and it seems to help. I also deal with nausea mostly in the morning. It gets so bad that sometimes I have to lay down. I was at Trader Joe's last weekend and had to abandon my cart and run to the car.

I felt like I would throw up but it was that horrid feeling of overproduction of saliva. Then I remembered I had a Zofran in my purse. I was given the prescription after my surgery. They use it mostly for patients receiving chemotherapy. It is a small anti-nausea medication that dissolves quickly on your tongue. No having to swallow. It works incredibly quickly and quells the nausea.

Ask your doctor ASAP if you can have this medication. I only use it when the nausea is so bad I can't focus on anything else. We have lives to live and you shouldn't be suffering with nausea.

I drink 8 oz of water when I wake up. Then I wait an hour and start drinking my clear protein drink. Shakes are too heavy for my stomach so early. I almost never eat first thing in the morning, however that could work for some people.

Hope you feel better soon.

snuzyQ
on 9/28/18 6:10 pm

Congratulations on the great weight loss!

I read in several other posts that this is referred to as the "slimies". It appears to be a common experience among VSGers.

I have not yet had my VSG, but I get this same reaction when my blood sugar drops too low (I'm diabetic). I prevent it by eating low- glycemic carbs, at least 20 grams worth with each of my meals. If the slimies happen first thing in the morning, I reach for 4 ounces of apple juice before anything else happens and that seems to quell it. Or regular Tang. I've even kept apple juice by my bedside and had it before I get out of bed. Sweetened decaffeinated tea has the same effect...any drink that has some sugar in it, but a very small quantity - just 4 ounces. Then I follow the sweet something with protein. The protein allows the blood sugar to stabilize. Drinking this small amount of carb will not slow down your weight loss and may actually make that protein shake seem a little more appetizing to you.

Try including some carb with each of your meals...3 squares a day, even if you can only get down a tablespoon or two of soft food.

Don't be shy about communicating with your doc. If your trouble continues in spite of the above measures, it might be a good time to get in touch with him/her.

Gwen M.
on 9/29/18 7:08 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

This is bad advice to give someone who is post-op, just FYI. Drinking calories is suboptimal at any point. Carbs with all meals is also bad advice for a post-op.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Murlie
on 9/29/18 10:58 pm
VSG on 06/15/18

Thanks for responding to my post! I will try the apple juice. My day starts with taking a med for my thyroid (or lack of...I had it removed a couple of years ago) and the water I take it with seems to start the nausea. I can't eat or drink anything that has calcium for a couple of hours after taking it. Will see if using apple juice helps!

Gwen M.
on 9/30/18 5:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Please don't - apple juice is a bad choice for someone who is post-op.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

catwoman7
on 9/30/18 5:18 am, edited 9/29/18 10:19 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree with Gwen. Apple juice (and sugar in general) is not a good choice for a post-op. As is eating carbs with every meal. Most of us limit carbs as much as possible during the weight loss phase. I would call your doctor.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

MarinaGirl
on 9/30/18 7:36 am
On September 29, 2018 at 1:10 AM Pacific Time, snuzyQ wrote:

Congratulations on the great weight loss!

I read in several other posts that this is referred to as the "slimies". It appears to be a common experience among VSGers.

I have not yet had my VSG, but I get this same reaction when my blood sugar drops too low (I'm diabetic). I prevent it by eating low- glycemic carbs, at least 20 grams worth with each of my meals. If the slimies happen first thing in the morning, I reach for 4 ounces of apple juice before anything else happens and that seems to quell it. Or regular Tang. I've even kept apple juice by my bedside and had it before I get out of bed. Sweetened decaffeinated tea has the same effect...any drink that has some sugar in it, but a very small quantity - just 4 ounces. Then I follow the sweet something with protein. The protein allows the blood sugar to stabilize. Drinking this small amount of carb will not slow down your weight loss and may actually make that protein shake seem a little more appetizing to you.

Try including some carb with each of your meals...3 squares a day, even if you can only get down a tablespoon or two of soft food.

Don't be shy about communicating with your doc. If your trouble continues in spite of the above measures, it might be a good time to get in touch with him/her.

Poor advice in your post. As well, what the OP experienced is not what is typically called the slimies/foamies. That happens when a post-op patient eats too fast, too big a bite, or doesn't chew their food well.

Most Active
Recent Topics