Lying about VSG - What surgery can I say I had? :D

happyteacher
on 9/30/18 6:29 pm

I did not reveal the surgery, but not due to embarrassment. I have a serious workplace discrimination situation. If you choose to go this route, just be very prepared with what your response will be- people will ask relentlessly. I had a standard reply of something like "surgery, diet, exercise, and recovery from various surgeries with different factors contributing at different times". In my case though it was known that I was dealing with cancer throughout this period (especially a few months post op) so folks attributed loss to that as much as anything.

Most of us don't lose a tremendous amount in 2 months. Rather a good start and then steady loss. The difference is we mantain that cumulative loss of 10-15 pounds a months for 6 months or longer depending on needs. If you look at my signature, there really wasn't any period of dramatic unexplained loss that could not be accounted for by diligent dieting and exercise. But people gossip. If it is just embarrassment you may find that once you get going at it talking about it will be less daunting. I wouldn't lie though, just not reveal your medical status.

For the asshats that wouldn't back off I would be direct and tell them that I didn't want to discuss my medical situation with them.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

PookyS
on 9/30/18 8:12 pm

Why is it that the same teachers ask over and over? I'm really sick of the skinny Minnie's making comments about my body and how I look "so much better" or "like a different person" right in front of other people. The kids are MUCH more polite than some of my busy-body co-workers. Never once has a teen badgered me about "what I am doing," nor have millennials in my profession. It's people in my own late boomer/gen x age group who are the very worst offenders. Considering we get harassment and bullying training every darn year, you'd think they'd be more PC. Obesity is the last acceptable discrimination. These are people who wouldn't give me the frickin' time of day when I was 350+ pounds. Ok-I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

happyteacher
on 10/1/18 4:27 pm

Same experience. It was never the younger teachers who didn't respect boundaries, but the Boomers!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

MsNikki318
on 10/1/18 9:27 am - Bastrop, LA, LA
VSG on 10/28/16

I simply said I was having a procedure. I was sleeved Oct 2016, I have 2 sleeve buddies. People believe that surgery is the end all, it is not. It is a tool. My buddies weren't as successful and one he gained all the weight and extra back.

So I didn't feel the need to speak on my surgery,and even now, I don't give all the credit of my success to the"surgery". I worked hard to lose and maintain. And the mental struggle was just as hard as the physical.

None of their beeswax,lol

Dusty2018
on 10/1/18 1:28 pm - Winamac, IN

Don't think you have to lie to anyone. First, this is your decision. Second, it's nobodys business except for you and your doctor. Of course people are going to notice your weight loss or the way you eat. The truth is, you're on a diet and can control the amount you eat and what you eat now. Don't feel you need to let anyone know you had surgery. If they ask, just say, I'm successful in what not to eat thus weight loss.

Dusty2018
on 10/1/18 3:34 pm - Winamac, IN

is your procedure in the US or otherwise? There are some great Bariatric Surgeons out there. Good luck and God bless......ð?¤--ð?'

MissSunshineCo
on 10/1/18 3:51 pm
VSG on 10/15/18

I'm in Colorado

Dusty2018
on 10/1/18 5:43 pm - Winamac, IN

Beautiful State! I'll be thinking of you on Oct 15th and pray you have a easy time throughout. I'd like to hear how you're doing. I go to my MD tomorrow to talk to him about vertical gastric sleeve. Take care.

SNCplus2
on 10/1/18 4:29 pm
VSG on 05/07/18

I have also took the approach of I was having surgery but not discussing what type. People have been very respectful of my privacy -- only one person has specifically asked what type of surgery I had, and they let it go when I said I did not feel comfortable discussion my medical issues with her.

I do get asked fairly frequently how much I have lost. If the person is not a close enough friend I typically respond "quite a bit" and if they ask again for the specific amount, I reply "more than I care to admit" and that ends the questioning. ?

VSG 5/7/2018

Height: 5ft 7in; HW: 254; SW: 219; original goal: 150; maintenance goal: 135-140; CW: 138

Irishnana
on 10/1/18 4:56 pm
RNY on 04/28/15

I decided not to tell anyone. I know people who had the surgery and I heard some of the comments people made. Things that were none of their business. I did not want to go through that. I know some say you should tell everyone, it is a personal decision. Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics