Food Sensitivities and Migraine

KimberLeeG
on 8/29/18 3:31 am
VSG on 09/17/18

Helloooo all,

I am scheduled for my VSG in 3 weeks. My biggest concern has been Migraine. I've had them since about the age of 14, and they have progressively gotten worse. I have discovered that food sensitivities have been one of my biggest triggers, I have to stay away from any artificial sweeteners, or super processed foods that contain MSG.

I have spoken to my surgeon about my concern as I am down to 1 bad migraine every 6 months due to avoiding my food triggers. He stated that the only issue he has had with migraineurs is to make sure they are not dehydrated.

My biggest concern is I don't want this procedure to trigger or produce more/worst migraines as I would rather stay 300 lbs than experience worse migraines. As with all health issues, everyone is different but if you have a similar experience, please share how VSG influenced your migraine.

Finally, i am having difficulty finding a sufficient protein drink that has zero artificial sweetener/flavorings (including stevia, etc.) that meets my nutritionists protein requirements. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This website is such a great tool..LOL I know I have a lot of questions.

HELP! I don't want to cancel my procedure!

-Kim

Cathy H.
on 8/29/18 8:03 am, edited 8/29/18 2:36 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I didn't like the taste of pre-made protein drinks, so I got powder and made my own. The whey protein I used pre and post-op has no artificial sweeteners in it. Isopure Zero Carb, you can get it on Amazon:

Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder, 100% Whey Protein Isolate, Keto Friendly, Unflavored, 3 Pounds

I believe they also have it at GNC.

I don't have migraines so I can't really help you with that, other than to say that staying hydrated is the number one priority post-op--hydration first, protein second. You will be drinking all the time the first couple of weeks in order to get all your liquids in, sip sip sip constantly. Some people even use timers to make sure they are getting in all their liquids.

Good luck!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

KimberLeeG
on 8/29/18 12:25 pm
VSG on 09/17/18

Thanks so much! I will try the zero carb whey protein! I hadn't seen it in my google searches!

MissCheri18
on 8/29/18 8:03 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Hi and Congrats on your upcoming life journey. I do not see the "diet" causing you more migraine risks once you are out of the liquid stage as long as you keep your protein up to limit you will not need a protein shake and fluids are a must so if you follow that part you should not have any dehydration, remember all fluids count so a protein shake, milk type product, Jell-O even towards your fluids.

So, hmm as for the Protein Powder/drinks issue... I would talk to your pharmacist (seriously) they may know of something that you can order OR that you can get by prescription in which case your surgeon should be able to write you the script for!

Good luck!

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

KimberLeeG
on 8/29/18 12:27 pm
VSG on 09/17/18

Thanks, I NEVER THOUGHT TO ASK THE PHARMACIST!!!

Dcgirl
on 8/29/18 8:47 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I can't tag her (this outdated website doesn't allow it) but look for daisydoo02 - she is almost 5 years post-op from RNY and occasionally has migraines. I know she can't take Advil or NSAIDS but has a prescription for something that helps.

I believe most people suffer fewer migraines once they lose weight. Most of us find ourselves in the best health of our lives post massive weight loss :) I hope you find yourself in the same boat!

KimberLeeG
on 8/29/18 12:28 pm
VSG on 09/17/18

Hello, thanks for your response! I will check her out...I am hopeful that all my inflammatory issues will be reduced with weight loss as well.

PCBR
on 8/29/18 4:28 pm

For the past few years, my migraines have turned to aural migraines. Once in a while, I get pain/nausea, but for the most part, I get visual disturbances. That said, I haven't had one since starting to lose weight during the VSG process. Also, recently I saw another member say on a "NSV" thread that I started on Friday that when they lost weight, they stopped having migraines. That's not me saying that losing weight means fewer migraines for everyone. Plus, I'm early in the process so who knows?

If you want to avoid protein shakes, maybe you can substitute Fairlife Skim Milk. Their nutritional values are on their website, but if memory serves, it's about 13g of protein for a cost of 80 calories. Plus, they filter out the lactose so that carbs are lower than other milk.

All in all, I think that you could easily dodge your food triggers. Lots of plans include sugar-free, artificially sweetened this and that, but they are not requirements by any means. This process makes you really diagnose what you're putting into your body---especially at the beginning where you need to keep it very simple and add one food at a time.

Best of luck! I'm so sorry that you suffer from such terrible migraines.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Mirandia
on 9/1/18 6:34 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I too occasionally had/have migraines .. but I haven't had one since my surgery (March 2016) Granted I would only have one every few months and they lasted only an hour or so. Not going to say I was cured ... but who knows maybe I am. Maybe it was something that I just don't eat anymore and haven't noticed.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Most Active
Recent Topics