Which Postop Week Did You Start Salad And Green Smoothies?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/23/18 2:58 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Keto and IF are fine, but calories are the bottom line. You can still eat too many calories doing keto, which is why your loss may slow or stop.

on 8/23/18 3:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Take a look at his publication list on Amazon (here).

His books suggest that you can teach your brain to make your body burn calories faster (here), promotes a gimmick "big-ass salad" diet (here), and claims that green smoothies are a miraculous health cure (here).

The books say they're "Dr. V approved," but lack any sort of endorsement from reputable scientific or medical groups.

Other than a very brief bio (here), I can't find anything about his professional training or credentials.

Bottom line: he does not sound like a reputable source.

Mindy325
on 8/23/18 6:49 pm
VSG on 06/26/18

It seems that he has retired from being a bariatric surgeon. I think he did mostly gastric sleeves, but he's now into a multi level marketing thing that he's inviting people to join. I got a couple of his VSG books on kindle but haven't really looked into them yet. I'm in my 9th week postop and my sleeve currently has no room for anything but protein and not even enough solid protein. If I need a little fat to help the solid protein slide down, at least I'm not getting too much fat. The other day I calculated my calories and they came out to 680. Probably not enough, but I just can't force more in at this point even with shakes.

on 8/23/18 7:37 pm, edited 8/23/18 12:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

During the weight loss phase, most people average 600-800 calories, 60+ g protein, and under 25g carbs. Sounds like you're doing fine.

Don't be discouraged about the scale moving slowly. Stalls and slowdowns happen, and most people take about a year to reach goal.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/24/18 1:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Multi level marketing things are great for those running them. They are never good for anyone else. I know many of us were desperate enough to take that gamble at our highest weights. But you don't need to try those things now. The surgery gives us what we need to succeed without trying crazy schemes. You can do it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/18 2:59 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Every overweight person I know swears by their breakfast smoothies, or green smoothies that they pack with fruit they don't count calories for, yogurts, sweeteners, etc. Where did the trend of having a smoothie will cure obesity come from anyway? I am for smoothies if they are within a calorie budget, but for nearly everyone that is never a case.

Most Active
Recent Topics