I'm still fatigued :(

LinWillLoses
on 8/13/18 4:19 pm

I know some folks have stated that this was an easy procedure for them. It has not been an extrodinarily difficult one for me. However the first day out of surgery was extremely painful for me and I had the worst nausea for about 12 hours. They tried several different medications before the nausea would stop. Dry heaving with new incision sites didn't help at all. Now at home I am very fatigued. Pain has subsided greatly. Just mainly soreness at the 1 main surgery location. I have stopped pain meds and just take Tylenol to take the egde off. But I still feel so fatigued. Did anyone else experience this? It's been 4 days since my procedure. I am just looking forward to having my energy back.

PCBR
on 8/13/18 5:22 pm

Similar experience here, too. Minus the nausea (I'm so sorry. That must have been hell.)

The only time I was nauseated was in the hospital when I tried to sit up. That subsided a bit when we switched to Tylenol from the IV drip (replacing the morphine that I believe was giving me that seasick feeling). That said, I wasn't up and walking about with ease for days and the gas pains were terrible.

Be patient with yourself as it relates to your energy. Remember that a lot of you reserves are going into simply healing you right now (healing burns calories). Take it slow. Your energy will return. I'm 10 weeks out and have more energy now at 600-800 calories a day than I did before my WLS. Probably because I'm eating more nutrient dense food and am no longer carrying the equivalent of a 4 year old.

Also, are you taking your vitamins?

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

LinWillLoses
on 8/13/18 7:45 pm

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, the nausea was hell, I even asked the nurse if this was normal. I wouldn't wi**** on my worst enemy. I'm keeping up with my vitamins, protein and fluids. I know it's my body getting used to the changes and healing. Luckily I have short term disability for my time off so I'm going to take my time and get all the rest I can.

PCBR
on 8/14/18 3:34 pm

I have a history of feeling nauseated with anesthesia, so I was sure to ask the doctor to make sure that they put anti-nausea meds in my ****tail. That might've helped if they were still in my system in the day or two post-op.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/13/18 5:41 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You had major surgery, 4 days ago! I was still taking naps 3 months after surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

LinWillLoses
on 8/13/18 7:46 pm

Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling this way!

kamac
on 8/13/18 6:58 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Total normal! You just had major surgery; your body is recovering from the anesthesia and the assault on your organs. Rest is just as important as sipping your fluids and walking.

My own experience has been that I've felt incrementally better with more energy every day since surgery. But while I'm doing a lot more, I also still get very tired. Sometimes my energy just crashes, usually in the mid to late afternoon.

I was just at my 1 month post-surgery class, and the nurse told us it can take up to 9 months before the fatigue/energy crashes go away for good. Everyone said they still struggled with fatigue. She kept reminding us that our bodies are recuperating and still reacting to a major stress.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

LinWillLoses
on 8/13/18 7:56 pm

Thank you Kara, I have just been reading on different support forums and seeing YouTube videos where folks are feeling great and going back to work just days after surgery. And I'm sitting here feeling like I got ran over by an old lawn mower. I'm glad for them but, this girl is tired. I'm glad I have company on my end of the recovery scale. I'm going to run this at my pace and keep healing and losing! Thanks again ?

PCBR
on 8/14/18 3:36 pm

Those people, plus people I know if my own life, messed up my mind, too. I felt like warmed over garbage when I thought I'd be bounding around like them. They also seemed to lose weight faster than me, adding to my chagrin. I warn you now: Try your best to NOT compare. Follow your plan and try not to look over at others (easier said than done, trust me).

Shannon S.
on 8/13/18 7:27 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Absolutely. I had about 3 weeks of fatigue. I had about 2 weeks of some pretty awful incision pain. You just had major surgery. Keep sipping and getting your protein in and you will feel better.

Most Active
Recent Topics