Tendinitis and staying on plan

Teresa G.
on 8/12/18 10:52 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I will look into that.

Thanks Gwen.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

PCBR
on 8/12/18 11:33 am

Oh, man! I'm sorry you're having to deal with this crap. It must feel really discouraging. Are any other pain meds an option (ie Tylenol+Vicodin) I had oxy once for my back and do t blame you for not wanting to go there--definitely not a great feeling. I don't know a lot about the latest pain medications, but hope there's something out there that can give you stronger relief without knocking you out. Is a local nerve block an option?

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Teresa G.
on 8/12/18 11:54 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Yeah, I'm going to make an appointment with my PCP tomorrow and see what other options I have. Codeine makes me really nauseous so Tylenol 3 is out.

The only thing that kinda scares me about blocking the pain is then I could make it worse. The pain tells me to take it easy (i.e. don't be running up and down the stairs!) I just want to take the edge off it.

Thanks for the commiseration, PC. I just felt the need to vent...or maybe whine? heheh

I'm on a mission today...I'm making a TON of egg bites and will be putting them in the freezer. Apparently they freeze well. My hens are VERY prolific right now and I've got about 7 dozen eggs I need to use up! If the kids come over, they'll get some to take home as well.

So far I've made spinach, swiss and roasted red pepper, and feta, spinach and sun-dried tomato.

I might make a frittata or two as well. Any ideas for other kinds of egg dishes?

At least my knee doesn't hurt when I'm standing or walking around. I'm REALLY going to be thankful for my sit-stand desk tomorrow!

Teresa (WA State)

Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

SkinnyNikki7
on 8/12/18 12:31 pm - Vineland, NJ
VSG on 08/13/12

How about egg salad? I make mine with avocado and use greek yogurt instead of mayo

Height = 5'2 Age = 37 Surgery Date = August 13, 2012 HW = 231lbs LW = 131lbs

Regain SW = 209.6 CW = 191.2 Goal Weight = 157.6 lbs

The only way you will see results is if you stay consistent!

PCBR
on 8/12/18 2:57 pm

For my surgery, they gave me Norco, which I understand to be Tylenol+Vicodin. Is that similar to codiene? Anyway, I thought it worked well to reduce pain and inflammation, while not making one feel too dopey (not that I'd drive on it). I'm not trying to push drugs on you or anything. Just imagining that Advil probably isn't dong the trick.

OMG! Super chickens!! I wonder if you can make little frittatas and freeze them. You can also make little egg cups in a muffin tin and freeze those. I have a recipe somewhere for amazing bacon and egg cups--they use bread, but I bet could be done without bread. Lmk if you want me to dig it up.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Harpediem
on 8/12/18 12:39 pm

Very important. I'm a retired very successful acupuncturist. Tibia-patellar syndrome starts at the hip, so treatment needs to start with gently stretching hip flexors, psoas muscles and quads. Acupuncture won't do the job. Find a physio in your area who is trained in Barnes style mayo-fascial release therapy.

the problem is not caused by obesity, other than some obese people sit too much, shortening the muscles used for walking and striding. When the muscles are shorted too long, the tendons that enclose the kneecap and pass over the knee joint then get over-stretched,causing, as you know, miserable pain. As you stretch the quads, -spas and hip flexors, the tibia-pâtellar tendon releases and relaxes and the pain goes away.

a few weekly treatments will make a world of difference and the therapist will show you how todo the stretches daily at home. They'll be a bit uncomfortable at first as you learn how to relax those muscles into a deep stretch. But you'll be amazed to see yourself skipping up and down stairs. I'm not an MFR therapist, but mine kept me walking and got rid of debilitating shoulder pain as well.

if you're on the west coast you shouldn't have any trouble finding an mfr practitioner. You can google the John Barnes website for a list.

good luck.

pauline

Teresa G.
on 8/12/18 1:11 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

THANK you Pauline!

I'm looking on the JB website now for an MFR practitioner. It isn't returning anything, but looks like it's still searching. Hmmm.

Thank you again!

Teresa (WA State)

Teresa G.
on 8/12/18 1:18 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

THANK you Pauline!

I'm looking on the JB website now for an MFR practitioner. It isn't returning anything, but looks like it's still searching. Hmmm. I went in a different way to look and it returned a half dozen in my state...the closest is two hours away.

edited to add:

Here is the emphasis that my physical therapist who fixed me a few years ago after an ACL injury does: trigger point work, acupressure, myofascial release, visceral mobilization and craniosacral therapy.

Teresa (WA State)

Harpediem
on 8/13/18 6:57 am

I had to travel 3 hours to find an mfr physio. It was worth everysec0nd 0n the road. I was able to stay with friends overnight, so I'd get two or three treatments -one a day, then go back 2 or 3 weeks later. The stretches you do at home make healing a lot faster.

pauline

Teresa G.
on 8/13/18 7:49 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Traveling that far and spending two or three days is impossible with my job

I was VERY fortunate to be able to get an appointment this afternoon with my physical therapist (he had a cancellation). Like I said, he practices myofascial release as well as trigger point therapy...it's painful at the time but so effective. I'm very optimistic that he'll "fix" me once again. And yeah, he'll give me exercises.

Thank you Pauline for giving me the push I needed to bring in the big guns on this!

Teresa (WA State)

Most Active
Recent Topics