Was VSG a Mistake?

kamac
on 8/8/18 11:20 am
VSG on 07/09/18

I'm just a couple of weeks behind you in terms of surgery date (so still very new at this too) but I wanted to say I'm sorry you're feeling so down and frustrated. This process is definitely not easy. It's understandable that concern for your liver is making you more anxious, too.

I'm not a medical professional but, even though your weight is in a stall right now, it doesn't mean there aren't healthy, positive changes happening inside your body. Here in Canada, wls patients are put on Optifast shakes for a few weeks before surgery, to shrink the liver. Some folks lose a lot of weight during Optifast, but some folks don't. Sometimes they post on the Ontario board, worried they aren't losing weight. But the answer from the vets is always the same- even though you aren't losing weight on the scale, your liver is still losing fat and shrinking. And they're right.

So your weight loss might be temporarily stalled, but your body is still receiving many benefits from your food plan, vitamins, and water intake.

I also agree with Ginny, having to go through a bunch of stressful invasive medical procedures doesn't help either. Between the surgery and all that, your body's probably saying OH HELL NO until it has a little more time to adjust.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Colonel_Panic
on 8/9/18 6:54 am - Raleigh, NC
VSG on 04/08/19

Also keep the long run in mind - after you're down to goal weight, your sleeve will still be there to help you keep the weight off (which is the bigger challenge in my opinion).

PCBR
on 8/9/18 7:36 am, edited 8/9/18 12:38 am

As someone who has a sad history of losing and gaining hundreds of pounds since I was 11 years old, big +1 on this.

Yes, you may well have lost just the same weight from diet and exercise alone. And studies say you'd have about a 1-5% chance of keeping that weight off long-term. The odds would not be in your favor.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

corriev
on 8/9/18 7:50 am, edited 8/9/18 12:51 am
VSG on 03/06/18

Hang in there.. I stalled for about 6 weeks around the 8 week mark ,and then the weight loss started again.. I did notice that while the scale was not moving, i was loosing centimeters... My Dietitian at Guelph said that in the first year you will have 3 big stalls that last between 3 and 6 weeks... Good luck

soundview
on 8/9/18 7:46 pm
VSG on 09/28/15

I was what you could call a slow loser. I'm three years out and my first two months I lost very slowly. I ended up down 140lbs by 18 months out. I had lots of big drops followed by weeks of stalls. Don't focus on the numbers on the scale focus on you food and don't feed your fear of failing. Try to believe the process will work and have confidence your body will adjust and loose. You had a lot more going on the just your sleeve and you need to allow some time for healing. I'm 3 years out and in maintenance and I look back can remember the frustration of not loosing as fast as others. The bottom line is my surgery group all ended up loosing about the same by 1.5-2 years out the process was different for each of us. Good luck,

Sleeve Surgery 9/28/2015 - HW 290, PreOp Diet -15lbs, SW 275, GW 148

NateH
on 8/10/18 9:33 am
VSG on 09/26/14

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Just manage day to day and stay on track and it will work. Play the long game!

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

BobbieDoll
on 8/13/18 12:25 am - CO

I had surgery last week. Was on all clear liquids 2 days post and still on liquids only for another 2 weeks after. I have had nothing else and have gained weight. My doctor told me not to get on the scale yet because I will be disappointed at this stage. Obviously I weighed myself anyway. He was right, How could I gain weight after eating nothing for a week now? My daily calorie intake is 320.

MissCheri18
on 8/13/18 8:33 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Thank you everyone! My stall broke the next day after posting this! (figures LOL) and I have now lost as of tis morning 6 lbs. so I know the stall, at least this one, has ended! I will try to accept the next one without letting myself feel like a failure. These stalls seem to come at the same weight point as plateaus did during other "dieting" so I wonder if that is saying our body is in control?

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

Most Active
Recent Topics