Extended Pre-op Diet Cheat Day

camcam95
on 7/23/18 10:56 pm

Hello,

My nutritionist assigned a 6 week extended pre-op diet and I began on July 5, 2018 and am down 18 pounds. My surgery is on August 17... so my two week pre-op diet begins August 2nd (only protein shakes and veggies.) Can I have one last "cheat" meal before my two week pre-op diet begins or will that ruin everything? I've really been working soooo hard, literally doing everything by the book and I don't want to risk my surgery. But on the other hand I really want one last goodbye- if you will.

Thanks in advance!

Gwen M.
on 7/24/18 5:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

One meal will not ruin everything. However, thinking of things in terms of "cheating" and that "one meal could ruin everything" are mindsets that MIGHT ruin everything. And, really, nothing needs one last goodbye, since there's nothing that you won't be able to eat at some point in the future, should you choose to.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kamac
on 7/24/18 9:22 am
VSG on 07/09/18

I agree with Gwen. One "off plan" meal won't ruin anything, but best not to think of it in terms of "all or nothing", or "cheating". Surgery won't prevent you from enjoying your favourite foods in the future. I'm only 2 weeks out, but what's worked for me during my pre-surgery diet and the days since surgery, is reminding myself that I'm not saying goodbye forever to chocolate (for example). I'm saying goodbye for now, and working on radically changing my relationship with it (and myself), and how I eat in general. It's made "letting go" much easier.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/25/18 10:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Just remember that a "cheat meal" while you're healing from surgery could literally kill you. (Food that is too solid or difficult to digest can rip a hole in your staple line, leading to life-threatening complications.) It's not a great habit to get into.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Jester
on 7/25/18 10:28 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

As others have said, it won't hurt you, but it also won't help you. I decided to forgoe any "cheats" or "food funerals" in my six-week diet prior to surgery. I lost close to 50 lbs and was very ready for the post-op and lifelong way of eating. I do not regret it, and am grateful for all the weight I lost prior to surgery as it just shortened the weight -loss process even more.

Ultimately you have to do what works for you, but that's my $0.02.

Most Active
Recent Topics