Guilt

Amy R.
on 7/8/18 2:10 pm

So this is kind of to be expected early post op and you've got great advice to up your fluids. That will help.

Also, you'll be most successful if you ditch easy carbs like cream of wheat. Follow your surgeon's plan this early out obviously. But once you're solidly post op and all healed up, consider looking into minimizing carbs.

They aren't "evil" and a calorie is a calorie. But protein tends to keep us feeling "full" longer and can make it easier to stay within the desired calorie range. Protein intake also speeds and supports healing. I could easily knock back a couple of thousand calories a day on "full liquids".

It will get better. Try not to be discouraged. Extra weight and/or not losing is just a part of the process this early out.

PCBR
on 7/8/18 2:54 pm

My full liquids plan had cream of wheat, also--mixed with fair life and banana premiere protein. I was surprised that it was on the plan (as was pureed oatmeal--which was so gross--when blended, it turns to paste). I was able to have so little of it that I netted under 20 carbs per day all the same--it also took days to finish a packet, so ultimately CoW was just boring AND wasteful. I seriously think it was just a tummy-safe food that is meant to get you used to easting again. I wouldn't think of eating it now. As food choices become more varied, it's become easier to put away simple carbs.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Amy R.
on 7/8/18 4:56 pm

yep. Which is why I told the OP to follow her surgeon's plan this early out.

2oz of cream of wheat or oatmeal or similar isn't going to make a difference in amount of weight lost. But it's something I would strongly advise any WLS postop to take a good look at once cleared for all foods.

PCBR
on 7/8/18 6:01 pm

Yes, I saw you say that :)

Amy R.
on 7/9/18 6:20 am

ha! I sometimes forget which thread I'm even posting on. It's harder to keep track around here than someone might think! =)

PCBR
on 7/9/18 9:14 pm

Agree. And let's face it, in writing "yes, ands" don't always come off that way.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/8/18 3:47 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

During the weight loss period I weighed once a month on my surgiversary. I knew I couldn't handle stalls or worse yet, temporary increases. It is only since I've been in maintenance that I have weighed daily and up days are still sometimes difficult.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Teresa G.
on 7/9/18 7:35 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I think that's a marvelous idea, Liz! I may start just weighing only on the 7th of the month.

Of course, this will start after my weigh-in at my one-month check up this Wednesday.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

PCBR
on 7/9/18 9:16 pm

Ohh. That demonstrates a level of patience that definitely lack. Good on you!

Dorothyolivera
on 7/9/18 5:10 pm
RNY on 11/14/17

Just remember your in this for the long haul... I didn't lose anything for a while and it's still slower than some others. But, I'm 8 months on the 14th of July and I'm down 80 pounds, wish I had taken measurements. It will come off not to worry. Put the scale away for awhile, it just messes with your mind. Star****ching what happens with your clothes... Just enjoy the journey!

Most Active
Recent Topics