Let's talk about protein...

PCBR
on 7/5/18 1:04 pm

Is your nutritionist available to you by email? I email with mine quite a bit and she is amazingly, wonderfully responsive. It would be a really helpful way to get guidance between appointments.

Oh, also..have you tried any of the fruity "Snytrax Nectar" powder mixes? If Jello is your jam, these might blend better. I just drink them mixed with water when I'm sick of premier protein premades.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

seattledeb
on 7/5/18 3:41 pm

I had an RnY but I had trouble with greek yogurt early out. I started to just pull out 2oz to eat. A whole container was just too overwhelming.

10 years and your the first I read about mixing protein powder with jello. You are adventrous!

Try going to theworldaccordongtoeggface.com Early on it saved me.

DescendTheStair
on 7/5/18 3:52 pm - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

I REALLY wanted that protein powder and jello to work. You've no idea how disappointed I was to see it separated. I even tried to taste it and ugh...had to wash my mouth out it was so gritty. Will definitely check out that website. Thank you so much!

36 year old single mom of an awesome geeky teenager

5'3.75" (yes, that extra three-quarter inch is necessary. I'm ALMOST 5'4"!).

June 25th, 2018 VSG with Dr A. Hargroder| HW:291 SW:284 CW:272 GW: 135

January 10th, 2022 Revision to RNY with Dr. M. Reavis| HW: 291 LW: 195 CW: 245 GW: 135

Amateur dragon slayer, fairy hunter, occasional builder of fantastical worlds through words.

seattledeb
on 7/5/18 4:03 pm

Sugar free jello is good towards your fluid count.

Gwen M.
on 7/5/18 4:20 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

When I was newly post-op, I mixed syntrax fuzzy navel with greek yogurt and froze it in popsicle molds. It was a great, high protein treat and easier to eat for me that straight yogurt. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

DescendTheStair
on 7/5/18 4:25 pm - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

This sounds REALLY good. I haven't tried any of the syntrax yet, kind of stuck with my tried and true optum - vanilla ice cream, but I usually mix things with that (peanut butter, berries, etc. All the stuff I can't have yet). I think they sell individual packets somewhere around here. I'll have to pick one up and give it a try.

January 10th, 2022 Revision to RNY with Dr. M. Reavis| HW: 291 LW: 195 CW: 245 GW: 135

Amateur dragon slayer, fairy hunter, occasional builder of fantastical worlds through words.

rocky513
on 7/5/18 4:46 pm - WI

If you added your protein powder to boiling water it will clump up. The fluids you mix with protein powder must be below 140 degrees. Many of us make protein "hot chocolate" by tempering the ho****er/protein. You mix a little room temperature water with the protein until you have a well mixed slurry, then you had the ho****er (stirring continually until well blended).

Protein and jello....ick...

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Gina 22 years out
on 7/6/18 5:44 am - Burleson, TX

Be forewarned: Leave yourself lots of time, when you dive into eggface's world...it's like Pinterest...you lose all sense of time...

Eggface is da bomb!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

DescendTheStair
on 7/5/18 3:53 pm - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

I think, from having read this, that text is a very poor medium in general for getting our feelings across. I feel a lot was misunderstood between everyone, and I'm sorry it all got to that. It was very sad to see the breakdown of good communication when it's processed via text and we don't have a tone of voice, or facial or body language to base our impressions off of. So, I personally apologize to all involved, and hope when tempers cool that we can all come together for the common goal of becoming healthier and living our lives to the fullest. I didn't mean for anyone to butt heads or for anything to be taken out of turn. I am a full supporter of "if it doesn't work, slow down" as my first day of full liquids left me a bit nauseated, so I went back to just broths for another day or two before trying again. My protein goal was something like 70g ontop of the clear fluids and I definitely didn't get that down right away.

I think what was said overall about the plan I received personally is that it does go kind of quick through progression, and having this big binder to guide us after surgery, we try what the guide tells us to try when it tells us to try it. Of course, my nutritionist did stress that if it's uncomfortable or anything doesn't feel right, to stop. We just have to go by what our bodies are allowing us to do. The progression through surgical techniques, new information, new theories, etc is heading towards a "Do it faster." approach which this plan may or may not be suffering from as well. But, it's what we're given, and we take our notes as we progress and bring them up when we have our appointments.

I thank you all for the wonderful advice, and always look forward to reading the various threads and comments from this amazing community. We're all here to support one another, and to share knowledge and wisdom regardless of where or how we got to where we are now.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/7/18 8:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You are under NO obligation to apologize on behalf of people who mis-read, think they know everything, and get snarky with those who are trying to help.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics