Feeling full/pressure

DescendTheStair
on 6/28/18 7:57 pm - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

So I'm now post op day 3, going into four. Tomorrow starts my full liquid diet but I'm a little worried I'm not getting enough fluids. I feel "full" all the time. My daily fluid Oz count atm is 18-20, I got in my 40g of protein but getting to 36oz of fluids is highly unlikely before bed. I've been mindful of taking sips every 20-30 mins but I just feel soooo full that I don't even want to look at my water bottle, much less think about drinking a protein shake tomorrow or soups/etc. Does this ever pass? Is it just temporary or is it something that could've gone wrong that's preventing me from being able to get my clear liquids in? I have been making sure to get up and walk every hour, and also went out with a friend to pick a couch out for his new place. Don't know if it's just gas? I've taken the gas drops they gave but nothing seems to be helping this feeling of fullness.

36 year old single mom of an awesome geeky teenager

5'3.75" (yes, that extra three-quarter inch is necessary. I'm ALMOST 5'4"!).

June 25th, 2018 VSG with Dr A. Hargroder| HW:291 SW:284 CW:272 GW: 135

January 10th, 2022 Revision to RNY with Dr. M. Reavis| HW: 291 LW: 195 CW: 245 GW: 135

Amateur dragon slayer, fairy hunter, occasional builder of fantastical worlds through words.

PCBR
on 6/28/18 9:48 pm

Do you know that your protein shakes count toward your liquid?

I was okay with sipping and it didn't make me feel full.

Talk to your doc. Could be your new stomach is just swollen, gassy. Also, there's probably still gas in your abdominal cavity creating pressure. My nutritionist specifically said tha****er moves through pretty quickly. I'm doubting the full feeling is from water. That said, definite call them tomorrow. Oh! Also, I've seen here that some people get downndifferent tempsnof water more easily--so maybe experiment?

DescendTheStair
on 6/29/18 1:01 am - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

Yeah I've been counting the clear protein drinks towards my fluid goal, the rest of the time I've been sipping water or crystal light, but definitely still have a feeling of fullness. I'll experiment with Temps, maybe some warm tea will make me feel less pressure than I do with ice cold drinks (but in this heat, ice cold feels sooooo good). I need to call them tomorrow anyway to make my two week appt so I'll definitely mention it.

January 10th, 2022 Revision to RNY with Dr. M. Reavis| HW: 291 LW: 195 CW: 245 GW: 135

Amateur dragon slayer, fairy hunter, occasional builder of fantastical worlds through words.

mmsmom
on 6/29/18 4:52 am - Woburn, MA

I felt the same. It was swelling. Id say no need to worry and at this point only eat what's comfortable and focus on hydration

VSG on 04/28/2014

Gwen M.
on 6/29/18 7:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

All liquid counts to your goal, and your goal is really 64 ounces. Sip all day, hydration is your #1 job right now. Try different liquids and different temperatures. Walk as much as you can, preferably more than just walking around your house for a few minutes every hour.

Set a timer for every 15 minutes and drink an ounce or two.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/29/18 7:52 am
RNY on 08/05/19

18 - 20oz is not NEARLY enough fluid. You can get incredibly sick from dehydration!

20 - 30 minutes is far too long between sips. You should be drinking constantly, like a tiny sip ever 5 minutes or so.

If your water bottle is intimidating, find smaller glasses! I used 3oz paper bathroom cups, and I made it my goal to finish one of those every half-hour.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TheWombat
on 6/29/18 10:17 am
VSG on 06/11/18

That's a good tip about using smaller glasses. You may be able to find the tiny plastic or paper cups you were given in hospital (especially at a party store).

I've also heard some people say that they found water easier with a bit of apple juice mixed in. Yes, juice isn't the best for you in the long run, but right now anything that helps you get the fluids in is good.

Some people set their phones to beep every 5 minutes (while they're awake) to remind them to sip.

In this hot weather, you may find it easier to suck on crushed ice.

DescendTheStair
on 6/29/18 1:24 pm - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

This may be what helps the most. I'd been sipping from a 24oz tumbler and would get upset when it barely looked like it moved even if I felt I was sipping enough. Swapped to using 4oz cups today I picked up after reading, and I've managed to get down 24oz already, which is incredibly encouraging. Thank you so much. I think it was just me being way too intimidated by such a large container.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/29/18 1:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Wonderful, that's great news! Keep it up! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 6/30/18 8:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You feel full because your stomach is swollen. You should be sipping more than every 20-30 minutes. You should sip constantly. 64oz is your MINIMUM GOAL - minimum...otherwise you're about to start feeling much, much worse. First comes even more fatigue, then nausea, then kidney stones. So what's worse? Hydration is more important than protein right now.

First finding something that "doesn't suck" is key. Nothing brings pleasure right now, so give up that pipe dream. It doesn't have to be water and crystal light. Everything wet counts. I found my answer in green koolaid, hawaiian punch and decaf sweet tea (all with splenda).

I made drinking games. I would drink before I did anything, and drink again after I did it. I would drink whenever I saw someone wearing the color blue, or whenever someone cussed on my favorite binge watched tv show. Any way I could find to trigger myself to take a sip, I did it, because like you, there was no pleasure in it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics