Will I be able to enjoy my 5th year anniversary?

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/18 7:37 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Other's have already given you all the advice you need. Whether you follow it, or not, try to keep in mind that you're there to celebrate your marriage and love for your husband, not the food. A very expensive restaurant at this stage of your surgery is really a big waste of money at least for you. You won't be able to eat it, unless you want to make yourself very ill.

jenorama
on 6/11/18 4:16 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

One of the hardest things to do post-surgery is separate food from celebrations. Food has been used to celebrate major milestones in our lives for most of us from our very first birthdays, but it doesn't have to be that way. These days, it's more about spending special time together and there are many other ways to do that beyond sharing a meal.

Jen

ScaleSkater
on 6/11/18 10:10 am, edited 6/11/18 3:12 am

My first thought was similar to above - total waste at this stage, unless the restaurant has important meaning to you or your spouse. Either celebrate later or move the venue to an appropriate restaurant. That early I think I'd pick a place that serves amazing chili. Or order a simple appetizer or two that are on profile. Most restaurants will be happy to make a compliant plate - you just have to ask. Though my program didn't allow most solid foods until 4 weeks. You might just be there - in that case - how about a nice piece of salmon prepared rare or mid-rare to make sure not too dry.

More importantly - how have you changed your relationship with food. If you are still dreaming about food in the way you describe, you might be in trouble in a few months. My wife asks me all the time - where do I want to eat - asking in some way to please me. I keep telling her I really don't care what I eat, so you chose - or risk me picking the same places that are "easy" for me. I can find something anywhere and be on profile. That includes a fried chicken shack - you just have to mentally be prepared on how to adapt things. My hope for you is that you stay away from this mess. You might even get very sick from that stuff and it will truly spoil your night. Hope all goes well with your Anniversary.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

B. Jones
on 6/11/18 1:50 pm

I'll be a bit of a buzz kill and say don't even go. Eating out that soon after surgery you might be setting yourself up for failure and get sick. Happened to me at 5 months, let alone 5 weeks. I felt like I ruined the meal for everybody in the group. I would suggest do something fun/different instead of eating out with your husband. Wait 3 - 6 months, give yourself time to heal and adopt new food habits. Then go out and enjoy the Alfredo chix pasta, you'll be able to eat a bit more and take some home for later.

Not trying to be mean, I know it's a special day for you. I think you would enjoy celebrating later rather than sooner.

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/18 6:35 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Don't think it's a buzz kill at all! I was thinking the same thing. An expensive restaurant at this point seems like such a giant waste of money. Though, to be fair, I thought fancy restaurants were giant wastes of money long before any surgery.

ladygodiva1228
on 6/12/18 6:28 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I'll be real honest with you. Eating out and with food that is rich and heavy may make for an anniversary to remember.

You might be able to eat a couple of bites of the chicken, but the pasta would be a no go. But then again the chicken with the sauce could upset your stomach and instead of enjoying time with your husband you could be in the bathroom at the nice expensive restaurant the entire time.

Most folks don't tempt fate and try something new outside of their house. I understand you want to have a nice 5th year anniversary, but you also don't want to risk being sick or worse rupturing your staple line because the food didn't agree with you and you end up throwing up. You will only be 5 weeks out and may not be fully healed yet.

It's ultimately your choice.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Amy R.
on 6/12/18 8:04 am

Quality restaurants of the caliber you are describing will work with you and any dietary restrictions you have. They do it every day for people with celiac, diabetes, etc. Wait staff shouldn't have any problem bringing anything you want. Which in this case should be anything that's completely on plan. I promise if you do any of the noodles there is a major chance you will regret it.

I do understand about wanting to go to a nice restaurant regardless of being so early out. Your husband will be able to enjoy it and if it's the way you want to mark this occasion I honestly see nothing wrong with it. Time with my husband is never a waste, whether I'm eating or not. I'm almost ten years out and there are still times when 99% of my meal goes in a doggie bag for home due to a "small pouch" day.

You're going to do what you want, obviously. Just be careful and focus on your husband, not the food.

NANNY13
on 6/15/18 3:32 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

Oh Please do not do it! At this point it is hard to tell how your body is going to react to any food that you introduce. You will have an unhappy time if you have a bad reaction and end up in the ladies room all night.

How about dancing or an amazing romantic get away?

Valerie G.
on 6/22/18 5:53 pm, edited 6/22/18 10:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Foods are going to be so iffy that early on to solid foods, and pasta will blow up in your tiny stomach like a blimp after only a couple of bites and chicken can be hard to digest at first, sitting in your stomach like a brick. If you want to truly enjoy it, I would wait for another special occasion several months down the line. I am also a lover of a good Alfredo, too and instead of pasta, I have them replace it with some broccoli or another veggie to go with the chicken. Eggplant, mushrooms and zucchini also go well with the sauce and chicken. Right now, you're lucky to enjoy a few bites of anything before you're asking for a carry-out box.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics