Vsg surgery

C. Guzman
on 6/12/18 4:42 pm

Thank you. I guess my main fear is the stomach pain and how fast I could go back to work, but I also understand this is a major surgery and that scares me too. I have the olbera balloon and the pain the first 2 nights were unbearable, not only the pain also the inside were really bad. And to top it off I haven't lost 1 pound ð??" the reson I got this procedure done was because of the fear cutting my stomach, I believed that I wasn't going to have that bad of a pain since they didn't cut my stomach but I was so wrong. I did go back to work in 1 week, but I know that I could of gone sooner it was only bad for 3 days I didn't have much vomiting or nausea it was bad cramping. And all I put my self thru and not even 1 lbs have I lost in 2 months ð??- the dr was honest he told me that I should have the sleeve surgery, because he has only seen succses in 10% of patients. But I didn't listen ?

sweetpotato1959
on 6/12/18 3:40 pm

My pain was mostly incision line, not stomach pain...but I had an OPEN surgery...not one with the new tools/methods of the trade today.

The big thing is getting in proper nutrition on the diet you are assigned at each stage of healing. keeping up, and ingesting foods ,fluids and your nutrition is a full time job at first.

Get all instructions in writing( keep a clean copy to add later changes to as page gets flled with revisions/intolerances to meds/supplements of diet etc...

.. for everything past a soft diet write down all changes, limits, instructions.. . ie .. separate foods from fluids by 30 min at least.,very small bites, ice cream tasting spoon size and chew each bite 10 times.

...protein goals and carb limits should be set/clearly and should stay in those, from beginning...fruits make me hungry , so I avoid them...in all forms.dry meats are still hard for me to eat.(decades later). must be prepared so they are moist..

..your food preferences can change..be aware that what tastes fantastic today ...may not be tolerable in 2 days. Having a variety of foods on your "permitted list" is imperative. Hang in there,. you have got this. You are worth this big step and you will be successful.

C. Guzman
on 6/13/18 7:32 pm

Awww thank you so much for taking your time and explaining in details, that is the key word for me details. I am glad you share that information with me, because nobody has even mention that you may never tolerate certain foods again, thanks again

sweetpotato1959
on 6/13/18 8:57 pm

In some ways it can be tolerance, and that varies with the surgical procedure you have done and the surgeon. He can answer that better than anyone.. .about tolerances to certain foods.. My surgical procedure was different from anything they are doing today.

.. It has been 23 years since my gastric surgery. There are foods I like but am just now getting ability to eat, Shrimp, crab legs are two...they are particularly hard to digest for me... I have a lack of enzyme as well.. so is probably related to that.

I have trouble with the chicken thigh... it tastes wonderful going down, not so much on the way up -because it had hidden fat in it...so I have to pick it apart and pull out any little fat pieces. ( I used to hate picky eaters, Now I am one!)

In addition tastes change, and a food that is preferred, may become unable to get to go down.(unable to tolerate the taste, food fatigue) it can be a temporary thing , usually not a permanent one.... just don't stock a lot of one flavor/kind of protein- unless it is something you can change the flavor of... sometimes the vanilla ones can be changed, to palatable, by adding plain unsweet koolaid mix of different flavors and artificial sweetner of choice.. I used to like the tropical punch to do this with.

Hope this clarifies...for you.

C. Guzman
on 6/13/18 10:18 pm

Yes you have thank you.

Gwen M.
on 6/14/18 4:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had the VSG - the surgery it seems like you'll be getting. The only foods I don't "tolerate" are dry chicken breast (it can just be too dense) and falafel. I can eat them, they just feel like a lead brick in my stomach.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Shannon S.
on 6/9/18 5:14 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I had some pretty rough incision pain for a solid week. Work was out of the question 1st week due to pain. 2nd and 3rd week I was just very fatigued so it wouldn't have been pretty. I returned after the 3rd week. I also have a sit down office job. I've heard of people going back quicker, but I just couldn't. Surgeon gave up to 6 weeks for recovery.

C. Guzman
on 6/9/18 5:45 pm

Well idk if I could have 3 weeks off from work; because my insurance has denied me 2 twice even though my Dr has treated my for obesity for over 2 years so I was looking into going out of the country to afford my surgery. My God sister got her sleeve done with a certified Dr in mexico and she is doing good, she did all her homework and this Dr even came on on opera and I could afforded that but I couldn't afford it here in the US. So I don't know if my job would allow that or if I could even get disability for the time that I will be off.

Ejme24
on 6/9/18 11:18 pm
VSG on 07/17/17

My sister and I had ours done in Mexico as well. Our insurance wouldn't cover us in the U.S. But it was affordable there and the nursing staff and our surgeon were really nice. Everyone has a different pain level tolerance. Thirty minutes after mine I was up and walking. No pain. However I was really sensitive to smells. The girl I shared a room with had shampoo that really got to me for some reason. But I put some of my perfume on a towel and it was all good. I work in healthcare and went back after one week on light duty... no lifting. My sister though was extremely uncomfortable. She ended up being out for 3 weeks and on the pain meds for 6. But she has always had a low pain threshold. So it really depends on you and how you have handled pain in the past. In the end though.. it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

C. Guzman
on 6/10/18 9:46 am

Thank you for sharing your experience. Do you recommend your Doctor? What part of Mexico did you had your vsg done?

Most Active
Recent Topics