VSG for Low BMI

cyndid
on 6/7/18 9:18 pm

Hello everyone! I need some advice about getting vertical sleeve gastrectomy.

I am 5'3 and weigh 169 lbs. I am only one pound away from being at a 30.0 BMI. I've struggled with being overweight my entire life. Three years ago I started eating healthier and exercising and lost 50 pounds. I've been able to keep the weight off, but have not been able to continue to lose weight even though I still eat healthy. I enjoy eating healthy foods, but I get hungry. I drink my water and eat my vegetables, but I still want more.

I've contemplating having VSG in Tijuana Mexico for the past two years since I do not have insurance. My only concern though is if the weight loss is worth the potential side effects. I only have 40-45 pounds to lose, but I've been at the same weight for 2 years. Do you guys ever regret the surgery? Are there side effects ya'll did not expect? Is there anyone who had VSG at a low BMI who had success with the surgery? What are your thoughts, comments, advice. I'm all ears!

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/18 2:45 pm, edited 6/8/18 7:45 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I feel like surgery is worth the potential complications when the health risks of obesity are higher than the health risks of surgery. At a BMI of 29, your health is probably not especially at risk from your weight, unless you have diabetes, high BP, etc. If I could go back in time to when I was miserable at 170lbs and always on a diet (before I gained up to 222lbs) I would give myself a copy of Dr Fung?s ?obesity code? book and follow his recommendations. That?s my 2 cents.

Most Active
Recent Topics