2 Days out no WL!?

PCBR
on 6/7/18 7:51 pm

Okay, I admit that I'm sore and miserable. Surgery was Tuesday. I know folks who bounced back big time from VSG and were up and walking a lot the next day. I've been in a lot of pain and just today started to move a bit more, fold clothes, etc. I finally hopped on the scale to find---I weigh the same as I did the morning of surgery!?! Wtf!? Am I still swollen with IV fluids! I'm on clear liquids..barely anything yesterday (needed to show I could tolerate in order to go home). Today, nearly through two bottles is premiere protein clear and some water (1-2 oz at a time Baby!). Anyway, I know I'm in the emotional, "oh my god, what have I done" phase and am coming off meds, etc. but nothing? Not even the weight of what they took out? Vets, please tell me I'm not some doomed freak.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/7/18 8:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This is absolutely normal. Some people even gain weight when they come home from surgery!

Hang in there and be patient. Make sure you're drinking as much as you can, dehydration is a ***** Walk around as best you can. You've just had major surgery, so be kind to yourself!

The scale will move, trust me. You can do this!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PCBR
on 6/7/18 8:15 pm

Thank you! My head knows it, my heart needed to hear it. I think this is my first lesson in "don't compare"---I feel silly for thinking this part would be breezy. One day, one sip, one step at a time.

C. Guzman
on 6/9/18 11:06 am

I am glad you posted this, because I Want to do this procedure and I thought you los weight right away. Thank you for sharing now I know it takes a little time to see it in the scale

PCBR
on 6/7/18 8:52 pm

Btw, also: boobs! I have giant boobs. They are weighing down on all my sore spots. Curse them. I need a personal valet to carry em for me. No one mentioned this possibility lol

hollykim
on 6/8/18 6:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 8, 2018 at 2:51 AM Pacific Time, PCBR wrote:

Okay, I admit that I'm sore and miserable. Surgery was Tuesday. I know folks who bounced back big time from VSG and were up and walking a lot the next day. I've been in a lot of pain and just today started to move a bit more, fold clothes, etc. I finally hopped on the scale to find---I weigh the same as I did the morning of surgery!?! Wtf!? Am I still swollen with IV fluids! I'm on clear liquids..barely anything yesterday (needed to show I could tolerate in order to go home). Today, nearly through two bottles is premiere protein clear and some water (1-2 oz at a time Baby!). Anyway, I know I'm in the emotional, "oh my god, what have I done" phase and am coming off meds, etc. but nothing? Not even the weight of what they took out? Vets, please tell me I'm not some doomed freak.

forget folding clothes, or snything else. All that upper body movement is making those boobs rub new incisions. That friction can cause the incisions to pull apart. Not to mention make recovery more painful.

your only three jobs right now are sipping as much as possible, walking slowly around your house, often and resting the rest of the time.

Nothing else matters, let someone else fold clothes. Take care of you, and if the clothes don't get folded, big deal.

Gwen M.
on 6/8/18 6:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal. Many people take a week (or sometimes two) to get back to their surgery day weight. I was even advised not to weigh myself for the first two weeks because of this. And, yes, I said "get back to" meaning that many people actually "gain" weight in surgery! So consider yourself lucky that you didn't :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PCBR
on 6/8/18 1:47 pm

Thank you :)

SNCplus2
on 6/8/18 1:28 pm
VSG on 05/07/18

I had surgery on May 7th and was discharged May 8th. At my one-week post-op I weighed exactly the same as on May 7th. By the following week I was starting to lose. The gas pains were what got me -- 15 minutes of walking would result in at least an hour of cramping in my shoulders and back. Luckily by Thursday (the 3rd full day post-surgery, I was feeling much better). I am sure all will turn-around for you very soon! Good luck!

VSG 5/7/2018

Height: 5ft 7in; HW: 254; SW: 219; original goal: 150; maintenance goal: 135-140; CW: 138

PCBR
on 6/8/18 1:46 pm

Thank you!

Those gas pains are no joke. When I was just out of surgery, it's what hurt most. This is my 3rd day post op. Still sore, but moving better and less gas. I have chewable Gasx that kinda dissolves in my mouth. Not sure I'd they help, but worth a try. If I could do it again, I would have done leg, glute and back strength training to help compensate for the week and sore spots.

Today, I'm struggling a bit with a headache. Just keeping with the tiny sips and focusing on protein and hydration. Broth is as bold as I've gotten, though I soon might try some yogurt (wild woman!!) While I'm not nauseated, the idea of solid or crunchy food is kinda horrifying, which makes sense.

may I ask how long it was until you felt like you could go out and do normal things? My husband is out of town starting Wednesday of next week (could not be helped) and I will have 2 young kids solo for the last 3 days of school--plus work the last two of the week (desk job). Just tying to figure out how much help I need to ask for.

thanks for your advice and encouragement!

Most Active
Recent Topics