PICC line for VSG?!

jd_vsg2018
on 6/7/18 11:20 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Hi everyone! My surgery is scheduled for MONDAY (eeek!) This is my first surgery so I am a little nervous. I am also getting a PICC line because its impossible to find my veins unless you take your time. Has anyone ever had a PICC line? Does it hurt? I hate needles!

MissCheri18
on 6/7/18 12:55 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

I had one, mine was in my chest near the collarbone I do not remember it being inserted nor removed so sorry I can't help you out there BUT if you have trouble with them getting into veins and have to dig and dig I'd say it is going to be MUCH less painful to get the PICC.

jd_vsg2018
on 6/7/18 1:12 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Thank you!

Shannon S.
on 6/7/18 5:47 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm a nurse and I did a couple rotations in interventional radiology where I was able to shadow the PICC nurse. They used lidocaine to numb the area, and the patients never flinched. Pretty much like any IV, but it's usually guided by ultrasound, and the catheter will usually be 20-40 cm into your vein. If you felt anything it would be the initial puncture of the skin, but again I don't think you will feel it. In the hospital make sure the nurses are flushing all lines daily with saline and heparin solution, after each use, and after they draw labs. They should also scrub the port with alcohol prior to accessing. I witnessed lazy nurses who don't do this when I was on the floor. It is a line that goes into your subclavian vein which is very close to your heart. It is not something that should be overlooked. Dressing should be changed after the 1st 24 hours, then every 7 days, or if raggedy or soiled. The site should never be exposed. Educate yourself and google a YouTube video on "caring for a PICC line". You'll be fine.

seattledeb
on 6/7/18 6:40 pm

You had a VSG. Don't you think a PICC is kinda overkill? Don't most patients go home the next day?

To the orginial poster...how bad are your veins? No one EVER can get a line in? There usually is the pro IV person. The one who can get the bad ones. That's the nurse I ask for. I sure would try a stick to see if they can get it before putting a PICC in. Good luck to you.

Shannon S.
on 6/7/18 7:45 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

There are some people who are just extremely difficult sticks. I've seen PICC lines placed for situations like this. It is a safety precaution and a very smart idea.

seattledeb
on 6/7/18 10:34 pm

Yes you're right. I've just never heard of it. The good news for me is that the less I weigh, the easier it is to find my veins.

jd_vsg2018
on 6/8/18 7:44 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Thank you so much for this information! I really appreciate it.

PCBR
on 6/7/18 8:10 pm

It took 4 poke n' searches to find a spot for my IV--and we even used that vein finder thing. I feel you with the small, deep veins, sister.

Most Active
Recent Topics