Ideally when can drink alcohol and ideas for low calorie drinks or mocktails

NCMTNEER13
on 6/1/18 8:08 am
VSG on 11/26/18

Little Bill....You got my point 100%. It's not the message.....its the delivery.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/18 9:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

What's so "high and mighty" about laying out the basic medical facts that alcohol contains empty calories, and that WLS patients are at a documented risk for transfer addiction?

There's no judgement attached to "here are the reasons why doctors recommend that you don't drink."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/2/18 4:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On June 1, 2018 at 3:08 PM Pacific Time, NCMTNEER13 wrote:

Little Bill....You got my point 100%. It's not the message.....its the delivery.

That's sometimes true. Like when someone condescendingly refers to others as "high and mighty."

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/31/18 2:35 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

High & mighty? There's nothing high & mighty warning someone about transfer addictions, or the added stress on the liver during the rapid weight loss phase, or how alcohol hits your altered anatomy faster than it did pre op. People are giving their real life experiences with alcohol. There's nothing high & mighty about that.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

hollykim
on 5/31/18 5:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 31, 2018 at 4:35 PM Pacific Time, NCMTNEER13 wrote:

I would stick with your doctor's advice and recommendations and not worry about the opinions found on here. While I'm sure the advice on here is very well-intended, I've noticed that a lot of posters get very "high and mighty" on the subject of alcohol. Just like when it comes to eating food.... just because it isn't best for them, doesn't mean it's wrong for you. Even without WLS, the effects of alcohol are different for everyone.

kind oh " high and mighty" for someone who has been around for 3 months.

NCMTNEER13
on 6/1/18 11:13 am
VSG on 11/26/18

I didn't realize that there were time requirements needed to post my observation of how people react. Could I have been kinder than saying "high and mighty" ? Sure, but that is my personal feeling. And yes, I have only been on my own weight loss journey (and a registered member of this site) for 3 months, but let's just ignore the fact that I have supported my wife on her WLS journey for over 10 years. I have been reading this board and other sites for a number of years to help her with her struggles and successes. And before someone makes an assumption, she has been very successful and has lost over 120 lbs since surgery, with no regain and no transfer addiction.

As LittleBill stated in this thread, "Its not about the message, its about the delivery" and your response about me being "high and mighty for someone who has been around for 3 months" proves that.

hollykim
on 6/1/18 10:48 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 1, 2018 at 6:13 PM Pacific Time, NCMTNEER13 wrote:

I didn't realize that there were time requirements needed to post my observation of how people react. Could I have been kinder than saying "high and mighty" ? Sure, but that is my personal feeling. And yes, I have only been on my own weight loss journey (and a registered member of this site) for 3 months, but let's just ignore the fact that I have supported my wife on her WLS journey for over 10 years. I have been reading this board and other sites for a number of years to help her with her struggles and successes. And before someone makes an assumption, she has been very successful and has lost over 120 lbs since surgery, with no regain and no transfer addiction.

As LittleBill stated in this thread, "Its not about the message, its about the delivery" and your response about me being "high and mighty for someone who has been around for 3 months" proves that.

you delivery proved your own point as well.

on 6/1/18 9:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

>> Just like when it comes to eating food.... just because it isn't best for them, doesn't mean it's wrong for you.

Example: there have been posters on OH who post about eating things not appropriate for their post-op diet-- KFC bowls, tacos, and popcorn-- that put them at a very real risk for dangerous complications. That kind of thing isn't "best for me," and it's sure as hell not "best for them."

If it makes me some sort of "high and mighty" jerkface for pointing out that they are risk of busting open their staple line and dying? By golly, I guess I'll just stand by the label.

on 6/1/18 1:40 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

While the effects may be a LITTLE bit different from person to person, the trends are strong enough that the ASMBS, in their medical wisdom, recommends avoiding it. (Source) Does that mean the medical experts are "high and mighty," too?

"Alcohol is not recommended after bariatric surgery. Alcohol contains calories but minimal nutrition and will work against your weight loss goal. For example, wine contains twice the calories per ounce that regular soda does. The absorption of alcohol changes with gastric bypass and gastric sleeve because an enzyme in the stomach which usually begins to digest alcohol is absent or greatly reduced.

Alcohol may also be absorbed more quickly into the body after gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. The absorbed alcohol will be more potent, and studies have demonstrated that obesity surgery patients reach a higher alcohol level and maintain the higher levels for a longer period than others. In some patients, alcohol use can increase and lead to alcohol dependence. For all of these reasons, it is recommended to avoid alcohol after bariatric surgery."

Erin T.
on 6/2/18 4:36 am
VSG on 01/17/17

"and studies have demonstrated that obesity surgery patients reach a higher alcohol level and maintain the higher levels for a longer period than others."

The second portion of this is interesting to me. Anecdotal of course, but for me, alcohol now hits me faster and exits much quicker. Maybe that's because I'm normally feeling effects from one drink and I don't go on to maintain that feeling by drinking more. I liken it to how wine effected me pre-op - a tiny amount and I'd want to curl up and go to sleep, but if I waited a few minutes I was fine.

Disclaimer: I do not, nor will I ever, drink and drive - even after a single drink - so my perception of my drunkenness or lack thereof is not going to affect anyone but me.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
Recent Topics