Anyone try intermittent fasting on VSG?

valexi
on 5/7/18 9:06 pm - Canada

I'm doing the 8 hour window of eating and can't seem to get my protein and calories in, it's a great concept but feeling weak :( eating very low carbs, no sugar! Eating clean.

Any tips?

Thanks!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/18 10:33 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Try not fasting. If you can't get your nutrition in then fasting is not going to be good. You need your protein and calories or you'll waste away. How far out from surgery are you? What is clean eating? You could get your protein if you're just eating chicken every meal.

valexi
on 5/8/18 10:39 am, edited 5/8/18 3:39 am - Canada

I fast from 8pm - 12pm I?m not big breakfast eater anyway.

clean eating is nothing processed, no fast food, no sugar, no white flower only whole grains. No white potatoes but yes to sweet potato. Lots of greens and protein, chicken beef, fish, sea food..

I had the lap band in 2008, then removed and did the VSG 4 years ago, I lost 100 lbs but was snacking too much on junk at night so did not loose anymore.

i need to loose another 120lbs

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/8/18 1:03 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I eat one meal at 9 am and the remainder from 1 pm to 8 pm most every day. I generally get 90-110 gm of protein even in a lower calorie day. I could easily flip my current breakfast into the mid-afternoon and move my second meal to 12 if I wanted to. In other words it should be possible to accomplish the fasting you are trying to do and still get plenty of protein with the right choices. BTW, I don't use protein shakes anymore and almost never have protein bars.

Is fasting necessary? IMHO at the end of the day it is calories that count, not when you eat them.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

valexi
on 5/8/18 1:30 pm - Canada

Thank you for your reply!

I don't do shakes or protein bars either.

I do drink to break fast VegeGreens by progressive in cold water ( pineapple cocunut great flavour not griddy)

The point of fasting is to cleanse and go to fat stores to burn fat. I still drink green tea 1-2 cups, lots of water, 1-2 cups of coffee while fasting.

I weigh 286 at 5"9 my highest was 400!

I had my fifth child while I had my lapband, they loosened it so I can eat more for baby but ended up eating for baby and the whole family! Lol The band was awful!!!!

I love the VSG, I need to move more but feel like my energy only kicks in at 4pm after I've eaten enough.

You are right!! GOOD Calories are what to watch for!

Im supposed to have 1800 according to fitness pall but with fasting sometimes can't reach 900.

Im going to try to eat more often, 3 meals instead of 2.

Thank you!

Val

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/8/18 2:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The idea of a "cleanse" is bull**** Your liver and kidneys do a just fine job of that on their own without any special shakes, fasts, or other nonsense.

VegeGreens is not a good choice for weight loss. You need to be eating foods with 10g protein per 100 calories; this shake has 2g protein per 40 calories.

If you need to lose weight, you should definitely NOT be eating 1800 calories. MFP recommendations were not designed for bariatric patients! During the weight-loss phase, most people eat between 600 - 800 calories with 60+g protein and under 25g carbs.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

valexi
on 5/8/18 6:58 pm, edited 5/8/18 12:04 pm - Canada

I have VeggeGreens for the greens I can?t consume all day plus just good for you for energy.

I?m eating about 800-900cals a day and feel weak most of the time.

What do you eat in a day? Please give examples.

Following fitness pal, that's where I got the 1800 weight and height calorie deficit.

I think I should just stop eating at 8pm and get up and eat something instead of waiting until 1pm.

i don't take vitamins, can you recommend a brand? I use to take centrum, but stopped years ago. I started taking fish oils 2 weeks ago.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/8/18 10:36 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you haven't been taking vitamins, that is almost certainly why you feel weak. Have you had your bloodwork done lately? Several types of deficiencies, particularly iron, can sap your energy and leave you feeling exhausted-- not to mention put your health at serious risk.

You'll probably want a double dose of a multi like centrum, as well as additional iron and calcium. I posted some reference info here:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6032156/Helpful-vitam in-info/

For an idea of what you should be eating in a day, check the daily menu threads on the VSG and RNY boards. That will give you a good idea of what most people do while losing weight or maintaining.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

valexi
on 5/9/18 9:13 am, edited 5/9/18 11:24 am - Canada

Thank you so much!

Wow I checked the blogs! Most barely eat!!!

I will try my best! It?s been too long! I?ve cut out the junk and NOT eating past 8pm. Will take vitamins and see if there is a change.

Thsnk you for the info! ?

NYMom222
on 5/9/18 8:03 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I am 5'11" tall so I get that MFP is going to give you a higher calorie allotment. 1800 is too much to lose. I can't lose on 1800 with a RMR of 2250 and working out at the gym at least 6 hours a week. If you were close to goal I would say only reduce slightly, since you still have a lot to lose 900-1000 calories is fine.

I would say watch your carb intake for weight loss I tried to stay at 30 net or 30-50g a day.

Also watch your protein intake I aimed for 100 a day.

Protein first, then veggies then IF you have room fruit then (starchy) carbs.

Fasting? Not a magic bullet. You have a tool, it's a matter of using it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Recent Topics