Scared

theAntiChick
on 4/17/18 7:51 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Just something to consider... is this an actual Registered Dietician, or is this a Nutritionist? If it's a Nutritionist, know that they don't have any required coursework or license/certification test. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. I have found that NUTs advise ranges from bad to dangerous. I don't put much stock in NUTs. If this is actually an RD, I'd put more weight in what she's saying, but also remember each person has individual responses to diets.

I am tall (5'9") and by 6 months my surgeon had me at about 1,000 cal/day and wanted me at about 1,200 by a year out. That worked very well for me, but many people will gain at 1,200. There's a couple of schools of thought on this. Some say keep calorie intake as low as you can as long as you can and get the weight off fast. Others say keep calories low enough to keep losing, but start working them toward a "normal" intake so you don't get "stuck" at too low a calorie maintenance level. I've looked at the evidence for both sides, and it's not terribly conclusive either way. My surgeon was in the "don't get stuck" camp, and it worked for me. Other people here have found following that advice gets their weight loss stalled out.

The other thing my surgeon said was to increase the calories very gradually... add 100 cal for a couple of weeks, see if you're still losing. If so, add 100 cal for another couple of weeks. Stop when weight loss slows and maintain that level for a month or two before trying to raise it again. Suddenly adding too many calories can stall weight loss out.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Recent Topics