Food and Cooking Post Op

Gwen M.
on 4/2/18 6:21 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I've sort of volunteered to talk about meal planning and cooking at my local WLS support group. I have a basic idea of what I want to talk about - good sources for recipes, how to plan when you don't need as much food as you used to, how to feed a "mixed-diet" family..

I was wondering what things you were concerned about pre-op regarding food/cooking and what challenges you've had adapting post-op?

Thanks!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CC C.
on 4/2/18 8:30 pm

I really struggled with the idea that I wasn't able to eat much in the way of veggies while I was losing because they took up too much valuable real estate needed for protein. It was so counter to everything I'd ever learned about nutrition. So maybe veggie guilt early on?

Also plate and bowl size. The portions I could eat post-op on my old dishes looked depressingly small.

My Foodsaver made a huge difference with the amount of food I initially would waste because one recipe would take me forever to eat. The freezer is now my friend rather than a place stuff goes to get freezer burned before going in the trash.

dh101
on 4/3/18 8:58 am
VSG on 06/29/17

I would have liked ideas that a whole family can use. Also noting the difference between post surgery system recovery diet and food for the rest of your life.

So... use a little Pam, switch to a little olive oil, instead of butter.

for active children a small portion of starch in addition to their servings of protein and veggies. Ok partner can have some too... but you won't have room.

Accept, get your head around, and get used to taking home 1/2 a meal when you eat out.

Learn to cook from scratch. Simple techniques can produce amazing meals faster that reheating frozen dinners, and be healthier for you. Learn how to sauté, the result means that in 15 minutes you can have a wide variety of dishes.

intelligent grocery shopping: 4 oz of raw boneless/ skinless chicken results in the correct 3 oz cooked serving. Shop the outside of the store. Use fresh veggies so you don't have to even go down the frozen food isle.

Get used to the idea that carbonated drinks just won't fit, so start now learning how good water can taste. Drink water early and often.

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/18 9:29 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I recommend an instapot to everyone I know. Makes cooking so easy and it's been a god send after surgery.

veggiegal10
on 4/3/18 10:04 am

I think as a younger and very active person, I was concerned about how I would get in enough protein for an active lifestyle and enough fluids prior to working out;

Immediately after surgery a shot glass amount of water fills you up, so I was afraid of being chronically dehydrated. My stomach has stretched a little since then, but I still can't gulp fluids if I'm running behind on my intake. Fluid intake has to be done over the course of the day (since I typically work out in the evening). You have to get used to having water around, basically.

And protein will have to be first on the menu, always. If I do that, I don't have a problem. That helps both with getting enough protein and reducing space for carbs.

HW: 227lbs Weight at surgery: 209lbs CW: 153lbs GW: ~145lbs.

VSG w/ Dr. Dunnican 8/10/2009; Revision w/ Dr. Wayne Weiss 3/31/14

Jester
on 4/3/18 10:36 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

Preparation, preparation, preparation. Honestly, this was the probably the biggest lifestyle change I had to make, and I would say it has the biggest contribution to my continued success.

I'm lazy. That's a fact. I just don't have the desire to get up and make/pack my lunch everyday. Here is how I tackle the problem:

• Once a month or so (depending on how much stocked up food I have), I cook at least two big meals - double recipes. Then I put them in containers, label them, and put them in my freezer
  • Once a week (Sunday's for me), I go to the grocery store and stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables (I know a lot of people don;t eat many of these, but I eat a ton), and I prep whatever I bought (wash, rinse, chop as necessary) and put them into 5 different baggies.
  • Every morning when I get up, I grab a frozen lunch and my bag(s) or fruits and vegetables

This is the gift that keeps on giving. As I generally have 3-4 different meals in my freezer at any given time I ALWAYS have something to eat ALWAYS. In a pinch? Nuke a meal for 5 minutes and your done. Are you preparing something for your family you wob't eat? Just grab your own meal. Someone else cook for you and not always make food you will eat? Just grab a meal.

I also tend to prep breakfasts this way. I will cook up an entire container of steel-cut oats and freeze it into individual bags. Or this weekend, I just made up a breakfast scramble and put it into 5 containers - one for each morning.

I should probably say that my wife stays home and prepares dinners (well, a couple days a week anyway), and while she generally cooks food I will eat, not always. If you are in charge of your family dinners, your approach may have to be slightly different than this one. I'm currently going through a divorce, so I'm trying to figure out how I will handle this on the weeks I have my daughter. I imagine I will prep as much of the ingredients in advance as possible and refrigerate, then just cook them quickly when I get home from work. She better get ready to eat "just like dad". LOL.

Sorry for the long post to a fairly simple question, but I am pretty much evangelical about this. It saves me over and over and over.

Oh, and one other thing that probably goes without saying - keep as much junk out of the house as possible. If it's not there, you probably won't eat it.

Shannon S.
on 4/3/18 5:13 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

My biggest concern was wasting food. Especially since I buy organic meats at Costco to save money. I've learned to break my meat down beforehand, and cook for no more than two days (my limit for leftovers). This helps me not to throw food out. I also by organic bread and refrigerate it so it doesn't go bad as a loaf of bread lasts forever now. Storing food in meal sized portions, and essentially cooking less are all ways I compensate for my smaller tummy.

I also experience the lack of veggie guilt as Cecily stated. I found a 0 carb organic green mix at Walmart for only 50 calories, and I take a scoop in 8 oz of water on not so great veggie intake days. I'm also very compliant with my vitamins!

Pat D.
on 4/4/18 10:37 am
VSG on 01/17/18

I always loved to cook and had a good reputation for doing so with family and friends...it was a big part of socializing. I wondered if I would still enjoy it. I am two months out, and eating isn't very fun because of some reflux issues, but the good news is that I still love cooking for others. I'm rarely hungry, so it's not much of a temptation. Thank God for that!

I was surprised at how little I can eat, and I continually make too much food! Lots of stuff seems to get thrown out. I find that if I use my foodsaver or buy small freezer containers, I can just freeze small amounts until I get used to cooking less.

I agree with the others about the "veggie guilt" issue. I MISS VEGGIES, and like them...but it's also a mind-thing. We were always taught that veggies were our friend in the weight loss challenge.

One more challenge at first...simplifying recipes so that you are eating one food at a time, rather than a recipe with lots of ingredients. If something unsettles your stomach, and it's a complex recipe, it's hard to tell what's causing the upset. Go slow mixing foods when you get on solids.

Surgery 1/17/18 HW: 279 SW:261 CW:220 Goal: 150

"Nothing is impossible with God's grace.."

happyteacher
on 4/4/18 6:01 pm

I remember really trying to figure out how to navigate meeting my needs with balancing family meals. Long story short, eventually I realized to just eat the protein out of the dishes and not to worry to much about what it was cooked in. I also remember it taking a long long time to find good protein sources. Maybe offer up some of the lesser known options. Finally, I wish back then I had the Instant Pot and my sous vide- those are a perfect fit for the dietary needs. I would do a thing on that for sure :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics