VSG over 600 lbs

avee23
on 3/29/18 3:06 pm
VSG on 11/08/17

You sure are sassy for no reason. I had the sleeve done and was speaking from my own experience. Was I over 500 lbs, no, so I don't know how it'll work for someone that weight. WHICH IS WHY I ASKED FOR ADVICE. Pretty sure I'm just trying to gather information for her to make sure she's doing what's best for her. That's what this site is for, no? Rude. You should think before you attack.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/29/18 3:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 29, 2018 at 10:06 PM Pacific Time, avee23 wrote:

You sure are sassy for no reason. I had the sleeve done and was speaking from my own experience. Was I over 500 lbs, no, so I don't know how it'll work for someone that weight. WHICH IS WHY I ASKED FOR ADVICE. Pretty sure I'm just trying to gather information for her to make sure she's doing what's best for her. That's what this site is for, no? Rude. You should think before you attack.

From your post, I got the impression that you were trying to make her decision for her.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Shannon S.
on 3/30/18 4:55 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Ahh you've met one of our OH trolls! I can't see the post so must have been someone I blocked. You should follow suit. I can't see anything in your post worth attitude! I will say I believe VSG can be as successful as any surgery. It is also the 1st part of a another surgery called the DS. If ever they were to need a revision they could revise very easily to this surgery. Hopefully the VSG would do the trick and this wouldn't have to occur. I can tell you that the VSG won't do it all (no surgery will), but with the VSG you can eat pretty much anything. It is a restrictive procedure, whereas others combine restrictive with mabsorption for optimal results. In my opinion, this surgery is best for someone who has had at least some success in the past with losing weight, even if just 25-30lbs, and just maybe couldn't see it all the way through. I guess I'm saying that because I feel this surgery still requires a higher level of self discipline, because you can graze your way to failure. Hope this helps a little!

avee23
on 3/30/18 7:34 am
VSG on 11/08/17

Thank you for your input! I have shared my post with my friend and she's been very greatful for all of the advice :) and agrees about the unnecessity of the trolls attitude. I will be blocking her.

CC C.
on 3/30/18 1:33 pm

Not to insert my nose where it doesn't belong, but Julie gives a lot of great advice, so I wouldn't be quick to block her. Sometimes we read things into people's posts that aren't there or misinterpret tone. Or maybe there is tone, but the person's overall contributions are worth seeing. I think her intent was to be protective of your of friend.

Now removing my nose!

Janet P.
on 3/29/18 1:14 pm

As a few others have stated, having the VSG at your friend's weight would be a good start. The sleeve is the first part of the DS, so if she doesn't lose the weight she wants with the VSG, she can always get the second part of the DS.

I'm sure she will have initial success with the VSG, but will she be able to lose 400+ pounds? Personally I would be surprised but anything is possible. At least with the DS or RNY, there is malabsorption to help her. At the beginning all of the surgery choices are restrictive. With the VSG only you must be super vigilant otherwise the potential is there to gain (or not lose). With the DS or RNY even as you get farther out and you can eat more (less restriction) you have the malabsorption to help continue to lose weight and then keep it off.

I only know one person that size (he was over 500 pounds) and he had the DS.

I hope your friend finds the answers she's looking for.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

avee23
on 3/29/18 2:59 pm
VSG on 11/08/17

You bring up really good points. I'll be sure to pass that along. Thanks!

babsinga
on 3/30/18 1:15 pm
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

Any weight loss procedure with determination will help her. But as others have said, GERD is a big problem with the sleeve. I know, I had one for almost a decade and revised to RNY. However, if she does nothing with a morbid obesity problem and such a high BMI, that is worse. Plus if she is sleeved, she could lose weight and then get a DS or even a RNY. Nothing wrong with two procedures if that is what it takes. Most people who are morbidly obese never get a to normal BMI unless they do something radical. My BMI was 55 when I had surgery.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

B. Jones
on 3/31/18 6:12 am

I'll throw in my $.02 if it's worth something. I was 550 lbs when I had my sleeve (BMI was 77) I had a choice between 4 weight loss surgeries at the time. I ended up choosing the sleeve, I was self pay and "The band" seemed kinda hokey to me. I lost over 300 pounds that first year. Next two years I roughly maintained that 300 pound weight loss and felt pretty good. Dr. Winterstein did my surgery and Dr. Anthone assisted. They always worked in pairs for patient safety. Dr. Winterstein did the Laproscopic & Dr. Anthone did the open DS.

I remember talking to the surgeons during this time frame. Dr. Gary Anthone & Dr. Brad Winterstein are in Omaha Ne but no longer practice together, this was 9 years ago I had mine done. Maybe their data has changed or other surgeons will say different, but my initial weight loss (sleeve for someone my size) compared with the DS & RNY is it's all about the same when it comes to getting the initial weight off. It didn't matter, the surgeries all do their job. Maintaining the weight loss long term is a little different story.

My mom, dad, sister and me have all had WLS. MY mom had the DS, rest of us had the sleeve. My mom by FAR seems to have the easiest time keeping the weight off. My dad regained about 1/2 (50lbs) of what he lost. I have regained almost 90lbs 2X, but I'm down 30 right now. My sister just had hers a month ago so she gets a pass for now :) Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have spent the money for the DS ($20K more) I think life would have been easier for me. I joke about going to Dr. Anthone and getting stage 2, I knew a couple people had that done later and it really helped them after regain from initial sleeve.

Obviously it's your friends call, it's good your helping her out on this. I think the sleeve is fantastic and I will always recommend it over the RNY. Just knowing what I know and the people I know with it. I still enjoy food, almost nothing I can't eat. RNY loses it's effectiveness over time vs DS look this up. If she can get the DS from the start I would get it or sleeve first then DS later if needed. (Wish I had the 20K) My mom was 340, now she's 170-175 and eats like a horse but she's almost 6 years out and doesn't struggle like me or dad (I love hating her)

For the record I totally own my weight regain. It's my doing for sure, I've had 11 surgeries total now, working on my feet, having a physical type of job has been a double edged sword. I've been told I need to get a desk job and I think the Dr.s are right. Having regained this kind of weight walking lifting etc at work all day scares me to get a desk job though.

Sorry if I'm all over the place, haven't started that 2nd cup of coffee yet.

I wish her luck.

Feel free to message me if you got more ?'s. I attended support group for 6 years till I fell of the wagon 3 years ago. I might be able to lend an ear.

avee23
on 3/31/18 9:45 am
VSG on 11/08/17

Thank you for your input! Very insightful. I completely relate. I was also self pay when I had my sleeve so my choice was obvious for that reason alone. I think you're doing great and wish you all the best in continuing your journey! I will definitely make sure she reads what you've said. Thanks again!

Most Active
Recent Topics