Smoothie

Bobbisoft
on 3/28/18 12:44 pm
VSG on 03/14/18

is it ok to drink a small smoothie with some protein? Thank you blessings

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/28/18 12:51 pm

Depends what you consider a smoothie. Most smoothies are full of sugar - the body does not care if sugar is added or natural. Sugar is sugar and it may slow down or stop your weight loss.

My "smoothie" is a glass of almond or coconut unsweetened milk, with a 1/4 cup of my fav fruits (mostly berries)+ sweetener like stevia. I add proteins to it making it into a protein drink.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 3/28/18 1:46 pm - Warren, OH

You have to experiment a bit, but I make a mock Wendy's Frosty with skim milk, frozen strawberries and chocolate protein powder.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/28/18 2:39 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Depends what you put in it. While you're actively losing, you're best to avoid fruit and eat protein protein protein. So the standard "fruit plus yogurt plus protein plus ice" formula is not a good choice.

The most successful people here keep under 25g carbs per day, and eat only things with 10g protein or more per 100 calories. A small smoothie will definitely put you over that daily carb limit.

If you want to make a smoothie by blending a protein shake with ice, that's totally fine.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Shannon S.
on 3/28/18 2:42 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

My nut advises against them in the weightloss phase due to high caloric intake and carbs. She says the only smoothie I can have is protein shake mixed with ice and blended in the blender. Some people add some low carb additives. Peanut butter, decaf instant coffee, and vanilla/almond extract are a few.

Harpediem
on 3/28/18 3:30 pm

My smoothie right now a week after surgery is a container of vanilla premiere protein with a scoop of fruit flavoured protein powder.

It works.

Knitter215
on 3/28/18 7:29 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

I make a protein frappucino. I take a cup of iced coffee, a scoop of caramel protein powder, a squirt of sugar free chocolate sauce, a handful of ice and throw it in the blender. To thicken it, you can add a couple of tablespoons of vanilla Oikos Triple Zero. Under 200 Calories and about 28 grams of protein.

Or Vanilla protein powder, skim Fairlife milk and a handful of strawberries or peaches. Or pineapple. I use frozen fruit because it acts like icecubes in the blender. Pinterest is your friend on this. There are hundreds of posts about bariatric protein shakes that are smoothies in texture.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Most Active
Recent Topics