7 months pre op.

Nicolegagnon2012
on 3/24/18 7:25 pm
VSG on 09/05/18

I've got seven months until surgery. And I'm so scared. I'm not sure if it's normal to be this scared so soon. I have been struggling for 7 years with my waist and I lost my chance at a military career due to my weight. My kids are scared because they're scared they won't know me I think that's silly but yet I hear it is a common thing for people not to look the same. My youngest one said to me today that she was excited for when I was smaller again so we could play. But my reason for posting this it's just does anyone have any regrets? Is it hard afterwards I know it's hard but mentally is it hard?

JourneyBound
on 3/25/18 4:57 am
VSG on 10/09/17

Change is always scary & hard. Fear of the unknown, fear of not having food to rely on, & as a best friend, & for different reasons for each individual. Many here will advise therapy to get your mind in the right place before & after. 7 months is a wonderful mount of time to mentally prepare yourself.

When surgery goes well & as planned, some experience little to no pain, some take a couple of weeks to recuperate. Personally, after a week I was fine. Also personally, I have learned that my children follow my lead; when i show them strength & fearlessness in a challenging situation they mimic that. Talk to them according to their age, & explain that yes you'll change, but in an amazing way. You'll be healthier, & happier, & stronger, & an even better mom than you already are.

This has been the best decision that I've made for myself since marrying my husband & having my children. You will not regret doing this for yourself!

VSG 10/9/17

HW: 294.2 SW: 286.2 CW:174.6

STGW: 170 LTGW:140

Pre-op:-8 M1:-25.4 M2:-16.8 M3:-15.6 M4:-13.8 M5:-5.4 M6:-8.6 M7:-9.2 M8:-5 M9:-5.6 M10:-2.4

Gwen M.
on 3/25/18 5:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's totally normal to be scared. (It's also normal not to be - there's a very wide range of normal here!) If you aren't already, it would be really great to start seeing a therapist now and working on the mental aspects of the change you've started. The surgery only changes your stomach, we've still got to change our brains.

I have zero regrets. I'm four years post-op. My weight is in a great place but I'm slowly working toward getting it a bit lower. I'm living a life I never dreamed of living - I'm a full time college student, I'm healthy, I became a runner and ran a half marathon, I seek out physical challenges, I love this life.

Of course I look different - I've lost 170 pounds! But, to the people who know and love me, I'm still me. I'm just a different (and better) version of me.

It IS hard afterward. I've had to do a lot of mental work post-op. I went through a period of borderline body dysmorphoria that was pretty scary for me. I had to recognize that I had Binge Eating Disorder in order to get that diagnosed and treated properly. And, while dealing with all of the mental hurdles, life still goes on. My dad still had to battle cancer, he still died, my closest friend decided he had other things to do than to be my friend, etc. Life can be harder when you no longer have your old coping mechanism of food - another reason why therapy can be integral to weight loss success.

And if I had to rewind my life five years, I'd choose this all over again.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics