Needing Advice!

Fashionmonica123
on 2/9/18 8:11 pm
VSG on 03/15/16

Hello!

I am almost 2 years out from VSG. I started my journey at over 350 pounds. In my first year I got down to 185. Such an amazing feeling, on cloud 9. My goal is 160. Old habits came back to haunt me though. Started eating what I definitely knew I shouldn't. But I still felt restricted, ate healthy the majority of the time and drank drank drank my water! But I still unfortunately gained.... now I am at 228. I feel like I am failing! The new year came and I kicked it in high gear. I did 1 week liquids and starting eating protein first etc. etc. gym everyday! But nothing... I have lost nothing! So here I am a month out from my "New Years Resolution" and feeling Hopeless! It has crossed my mind if I need to do more in order to loose again! Is there a pill or a revision? What are my options! Im only 2 years out so is it to soon to consider a revision. Ive done lots of research and Im just confused on what my options even are! Any advice or help is greatly appreciated! Let me know your thought ð?¤--

your fellow VSG er,

M

ocean4dlm
on 2/10/18 2:30 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

I suggest you weigh/measure food and log it using My Fitness Pal, or a similar program. Doing that, you can take a close look at the actual breakdown of what you are eating, and adjust as needed.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/10/18 4:43 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

And perhaps post on one or more of the menu threads here on OH to stay accountable and see what others are eating.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

rocky513
on 2/10/18 5:47 am - WI

You can and will gain weight, even while eating healthy food, if you are eating too much. Are you weighing and measuring your food or are you relying on your sleeve to tell you when you've eaten enough?

Our stomachs are lying liars. Eating until we feel full is what got most of us in the position to need WLS. If you are eating until you feel full, you are eating too much. Weighing and measuring so you know exactly how much you've eaten and tracking carbs, protein, and calories is imperative to your success. Measure your food and then stop eating. If you feel hungry, ignore it. Hunger is not an emergency requiring immediate action. You can wait until your next planned meal to eat. Grazing is a big reason WLS peeps re-gain. Eating by the clock may help you get control if this is a problem.

Keep drinking tha****er. Remember that 64 ounces is the MINIMUM amount recommended. I drink around 120 ounces to feel good.

Most insurance companies require some kind of mechanical failure to get a revision. Regain is not considered a mechanical failure of your original surgery. Also, most insurances have a one per lifetime cap on WLS.

It won't be as easy as when you first had surgery, but you can do this!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Gwen M.
on 2/10/18 7:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi and welcome!

The first thing you should do is start measuring and tracking everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal. From there, work on getting back to your basics. Here are mine, but yours might be slightly different:

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (protein shake for breakfast is my exception since I've never liked putting solid food in my stomach first thing in the morning)
a. Don't drink with meals or for 30 minutes after eating
6. Weigh portions and track/log what you consume
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
a. Try to eat at a table
b. Eat with utensils
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh yourself daily
a. But focus on the trend of your weight, not the day to day fluctuations
10. Be kind to yourself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 2/10/18 7:49 am
RNY on 07/23/14

It can be really frustrating not to lose when we feel like we are being 'good'. As everyone has said, journaling your food in something like MFP will give you s more accurate snapshot of what you are actually doing.

Sometimes it is not what we think. Have you contacted your surgeon, had follow up recently? Do they have a Registered Dietitian you can talk to? Even if you want to talk about revision, it is always good to come armed with showing them what you are doing.

Joining the menu thread here maybe helpful. I don't think I would have gotten as far as I did if I didn't show up daily. Part of keeping the focus.

Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Valerie G.
on 2/10/18 1:51 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Give your reset some more time, but do know that there are revision options. For some - they need more than eating less to lose and keep off what they need. For others, the sleeve is the perfect solution.

Some sleeve patients have revised to RNY (especially good for those suffering with GERD). Some have had a band placed over the sleeve (not recommend because of the problem bandsters have had). Many have revised to the DS, which is basically part-two since the sleeve came from the two-part DS with many patients losing enough to not need the malabsorptive component.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Shannon S.
on 2/11/18 1:44 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I always find counting calories is the best way. Even now at 3 mnths out I'm counting calories, because I can eat more than some. I can't tell you how many diets I've tried: low carb, low fat, Atkins, and I failed them all! The only system that I have been remotely successful with is counting calories and exercise. You have to burn more than you take in. Try My fitness pal, and seriously count every morsel that goes in, from the half n half you may put in your coffee, to the olive oil you use to make vegetables, and don't go a morsel over 1000. This means you have to pay attention to serving sizes and such. Of course you still need a good protein drink to ensure 65-70 grams of protein, and get back on your multivitamin regimen for your health (if you've stopped). Wishing you all the best!

Most Active
Recent Topics