Quitting Smoking

June W.
on 2/7/18 1:16 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12

Hi all!

I'm quitting smoking and am just curious if anyone else has gone through this while trying to work a good food plan. And been successful, hopefully.

I do not want to sabotage my food plan with misdirected cravings. I plan to be packing water everywhere I go to help me through this. Any suggestions or encouragement would be appreciated!

Jess Says Yes
on 2/7/18 6:05 pm, edited 2/7/18 10:08 am
VSG on 10/24/17

Congrats on choosing to quit, that Is awesome!

Here are some tips that are helpful for some my clients:

First of all, write down the reasons you are quitting, specifically exploring what you have to gain from quitting. Start each day by reading this list.

Secondly, devise a plan for if you become tempted to smoke. Are you going to go for a walk, call a friend, knit, have a cup of tea, etc. Planning for this in advance can help when the urge hits.

If possible get yourself an accountability buddy. Someone you trust who you can tell about your goals who can check in with you to provide encouragement, lend an ear, and help keep you accountable.

Finally, keep sugar free mints or gum on hand!

These same tips can be applied to avoiding certain foods, and you can combine the goals and your plan of action in whatever way works best for you!

Jess

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde

Pre-op:-32 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-10 M5-13 M6-8 M7-12 M8-7 M9-7 M10-0 M11-11

Ladyblu
on 2/8/18 7:05 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

Congratulations. I quit smoking about 15 years ago. It is not easy. However, you can do this. When I quit, I also was losing weight. It can be done.

Sugar free mints and gum. Crunch on celery (if you like it). And be kind to yourself. Take baths, relax, read, knit, try to avoid stress. Try to avoid situations that trigger the cravings. The physical craving goes away pretty quickly. The mental craving is a bit harder to tame. To this day, there can be flashes a few times year when the urge to smoke is overwhelming. Grit your teeth, make a fist and pause. Don't give in. It will pass. Cry if you have to. Rage if you must. Beat this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

Shannon S.
on 2/8/18 6:02 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

When I quit 12-13ish years ago I used a patch and chewed a lot of gum. The patch really does help to take the edge off. There is no sure fire way to do it. You will have to have a ton of will power. I recommend keeping sugar free gum to prevent snacking, and drink lots of water. Try and stay busy with exercise and use relaxation techniques. I know it sounds weird but big deep breaths, hold for 5 seconds or so, then blow out slowly through pursed lips. Has a calming effect. Used to help me during tigger moments (like when driving). Good luck.

Notaboutperfect
on 2/9/18 6:38 am
VSG on 11/08/16

If you are in to the essential oil craze (guilty) there has been some research into the use of black pepper and cinnamon bark EO to curb nicotine craving. It's not conclusive. Anecdotally; use a carrier oil with the EOs to soak toothpicks, then chew the toothpick when you would normally have a smoke or when a craving hits. I enjoy EOs, but don't ingest them however the amount on the toothpick would be minimal. It would smell amazing and help with the oral fix. Another thing I've heard is helpful is to sauna to help the body detox. I wish you strength and good health!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/12/18 6:24 am

The patch may help you with nicotine cravings. I don't recommend the vape, since people can develop cross addiction to vape- inhaling chemicals instead of nicotine. I've seen it personally. Not sure what is worse- the nicotine or the vape chemicals.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

apw0
on 2/12/18 1:42 pm - Doylestown, PA

Congratulations on your decision to quit!!!

One of the things that really helped me, was Chantix. I didn't have any of the side effects that lots of folks have, so I was very fortunate. I would do this in addition to a patch, or even gum. I was a smoker for almost 40 years, and if I can do it, I know that YOU can do it.

Another thing that helped me was crushed ice, believe it or not.

Most Active
Recent Topics