How can i help my daughter

stephaniejoy
on 1/24/18 10:26 am - Mont Belvieu, TX

Hello! I had RNY in 2008 and have been very successful with it. I lead a fairly normal life now....nothing is "off limits" I just limit my amounts.

My daughter was just sleeved. What can I do to help her? I want her to be as successful with her surgery choice as I was with mine.

Stephanie H.
Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win.
- Bernadette Devlin
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway - Earl Nightingale
All Time High/Pre-Op/Surgery Day/
1st Goal/2nd Goal/Current

217          210          204            145       135          118
                                         GOAL!!!
April 7th 2010 - LBL/BL/BA

Gwen M.
on 1/24/18 11:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Does she live with you?

I've found that the best support is just for people not to do the "Oh, I know you like this delicious thing and I saw it while I was at the store so I bought it for you as a treat!" Because that makes everyone feel bad. I feel bad that I don't want the thing and throw it away, the person trying to be kind feels bad because I'm thrown away something they did to be kind, etc.

And it's also nice for people not to suggest, "Oh, you don't want to cook tonight? We can just eat out instead!" Since that also can derail me.

Other than that, I just want people to cheer me on, not food police me, and not make a big deal out of the fact that I've had VSG :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenorama
on 1/24/18 11:32 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

The rules for a sleeve are pretty much the same as for RNY. Make sure she keeps to her surgeon's recovery program for the first few weeks. After that, modeling behavior for her by eating protein forward, measuring portions and not drinking at the same time will be excellent guidance.

Jen

dannypaul
on 1/28/18 11:46 am
RNY on 08/31/17

You've been a success for 10yrs. I'm sure there isn't much you don't know. If I had a role model like you I'm sure my chances of successfully keeping my weight off would be very good. She sounds lucky to have you for guidance.

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/18 12:00 am

How does she respond feedback from you today? This will be a good indicator of how it will go post-surgery. Just m2cw

mpattee
on 1/30/18 8:01 am
VSG on 11/29/17

Hi Stephanie,

I had the sleeve surgery on November 29, 2017. Success in this type of in-natural situation, as you know, is achieved through persistence and commitment. Helping her remain committed to her surgeons program, seeking counseling and support groups, and eating properly are all ways you can help in my opinion. I tend to act defensively when my wife tries to offer suggestions or if I feel that she is correcting me and I also tend to respond directly, which causes me to have to stop, count a little, and realize that my wife's intention is noble and good and should not be scoffed at. There are my 2 cents worth.

Matt

Amber Waddell
on 2/3/18 2:33 pm

I had WLS in 2010 when I was 18 years old. I lost 200 pounds and have been able to keep it off. I suggest just being there for her. I found it helpful to connect with people (on here and other social media outlets like facebook groups, youtube etc.) Sometimes, kids don't want to hear it from a close friend or family member, but instead will listen to what other people will say. (just my observations and personally what I went through as a young adult undergoing WLS)

Here is my channel I just started doing. I'll be talking about my 8 year journey with the VSG, how I lost 200 pounds and how I have been successful with my surgery. She should come on here for support too! :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi6hsyQ60BiKEbRKHehIDuw

Most Active
Recent Topics