Frustrated.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/24/18 9:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Calorie consumption determines weight loss, not carbs. You absolutely need to track your calories and make sure you eat fewer than you burn in a day.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathy S.
on 1/24/18 8:06 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Marcy,

How frustrating this much be. I didn't have the VSG so listen to what those that did advise. Protein first, track everything and check out the daily thread Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Wednesday to see what your fellow VSGer's are eating.

That being said do talk to your surgeon about checking to make sure there are no medical issues going on that would be preventing you from losing. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Amy R.
on 1/25/18 8:37 am

Marcy am I reading this correctly that you are 4 and 1/2 months post op and have lost only 23 pounds?

Assuming that is the case I'm going to also assume that you've heard just about every possibility out there for why the weight isn't coming off and you've checked into all of them. Tracked every calorie, maintained high fluid intake, moved your body, cut out carbs, factored in your weight at surgery (lower weight preop equals slower post op losses for some), corrected for any lactose intolerance, maybe switched up your eating patterns, factored in any meds, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

You need to see a doctor.

Maybe your surgeon or maybe an endocrinologist or even your GP if that's where your insurance mandates you start. Because something isn't right. You won't lose weight as fast as someone who has malabsorption and an average of five pounds per month is perfectly respectable. But to have had nothing at all lost in the last sixish weeks or so while adhering to that low calorie of a food plan just doesn't compute.

When we do everything "right" consistently and have absolutely zero results, something else is wrong somewhere. Please follow up with your doc.

Nknerr
on 1/25/18 9:43 am
VBG on 12/07/17

So, why did my surgeon tell me that 4-8 pounds a month is what they want you to lose post surgery, but you are saying that 23 lbs in 4 and 1/2 months is not enough weight loss? I'm confused by this.

That was followed up by my Neurologist telling me that if I lose weight (more than 10 lbs a month) too quickly that it can cause neurological repercussions?

I also have not lost any weight in the last 4 weeks and am keeping track of my calories (600-800) a day with less than 20 carbs and have not lost weight. The only thing the docs can say is that maybe the stress of going back to work is to blame? Such as not getting enough sleep, not having "relaxation" time, occasionally missing the 64 oz of fluids a day, etc. however, since I went back to work, I have been actually having hunger pangs. I have an appointment to meet with the social worker on Monday to talk to him about cravings. He states that I'm not having hunger pangs, but cravings, but wait until he hears my stomach growl, which can be heard across the room. YES, I am now causing issues at work meetings because of the stomach noises.

A side note to this is that I have just started exercising for the first time in three years. I started about 4 weeks ago. My physical therapist said that I more than doubled the muscle strength in my thighs and lower legs. Could that be why I haven't lost pounds, but inches instead?

Can anyone help with this?

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Amy R.
on 1/25/18 1:27 pm

First of all, I'm not a doctor or medical professional.

AND I'm not speaking to your specific situation but to that of the OP. You shouldn't use any numbers I throw out to gauge your own progress. No one should. You need to see your own doctor if your experience does not line up with his expectations.

Also though, because this is such a huge myth in the WLS world - exercise doesn't account for weight gain. It would take many weeks of consistent exercise to build up even one pound of muscle. Make sure to run this by your surgeon as well.

Amy R.
on 1/25/18 1:38 pm

Also Natalie. Not meaning to brush off your post. I used those numbers as a point of reference for perhaps a comparison on some level between the VSG (sleeve) and the RnY. Sleevers don't malabsorb calories. Hence the slower weight loss for some. Lower starting weights also tend to slower rates of loss.

In the end, goal is completely attainable via both surgeries - but the rate of loss is sometimes different. If you are concerned maybe give your surgeons' office a call. Stalls/plateaus do happen. Some even last four to six weeks.

The OP's post is bit more alarming because she looks to be closing in on seven or eight weeks with no loss.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/25/18 2:32 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Gaining some muscle in your legs is likely NOT sufficient to stop your weight loss. Neither is stress. 90% of the time, it's purely a calories-in-versus-calories-out situation.

When you track your calories, are you weighing and measuring your portions EXACTLY? It's very possible to mis-estimate and end up eating more than you log.

It is very common to have a noisy stomach after surgery, which can be caused by normal digestion. Are you on an acid-reducer or PPI?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/25/18 2:54 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You might want to make your own post so that you can get answers more specific to your particular case. Your post can get lost when attached to someone else.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Grim_Traveller
on 1/25/18 2:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

When you get closer to goal, the weight comes off slower. You just don't have as much fat left, and 4 to 8 pounds in a month is great. But the first few months after surgery, 4 to 8 pounds is not very good -- not for anyone with enough excess weight to qualify for WLS.

Surgeons and dieticians give out really, really crappy advice sometimes, and set goals that are extremely conservative. Most are happy if you lose 50% of your excess weight. If you are good with that, great. But anyone who wants to lose 100% of their excess weight should hunker down and lose a lot more than that in their first few months. Unless, maybe, if they start out at 4'10" tall and were lightweights to begin with.

I've seen thousands of people lose at a very fast rate, and no one had neurological problems because of their loss. I know a great many who had neurological problems from being obese for too long.

Whiie you are losing weight, it's not possible to gain muscle mass. You can make your existing muscles stronger, which you've done. But you haven't added muscle, just strength.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Erin T.
on 1/25/18 6:19 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

My stomach is still very grumbly and noisy and it's not hunger. It just makes a lot of noise.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
Recent Topics