Referrals for VSG or Gastric Sleeve Surgery

cherbear04
on 1/23/18 1:41 pm - KELOWNA, BC

I'm having a heck of a time finding info about being referred for VSG or the Gastric Sleeve Surgery. I was in my GP's office and asked if he could refer me or if I was even a candidate and he's like I don't know. He gave me the number of another doctor, whom told me he only does the surgery occasionally and pretty much picks and chooses who he does the surgery for.

Is there a form my doctor needs to fill out to go to one of the Bariatric locations in BC or do I just ask him to send a referral to one of them?

Someone please help my head is hurting from trying to hunt on the internet.

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/18 12:59 am

I think Bariatrics is considered a specialty so probably your doctor would need be your referral. I heard the waiting list in Canada is about 5 years. Can you wait that long?

Donna L.
on 1/26/18 7:39 am, edited 1/25/18 11:39 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

With Canada, it depends on where you live as to how long the wait times are. Having said that, I have had friends who have gotten it in under two years...less than one year in one instance, but that was a while ago. Even here in the US some people have to wait 1-2 years for various reasons.

Definitely talk to people who went through the area you'd be likely to go through for a better idea.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/18 7:37 pm

Wonder how long ago that was. I chat with a Canadian on another forum and she gave me that 5 year waiting timeframe a couple months ago.

Donna L.
on 1/30/18 11:09 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That was about a year ago. It's really very location dependent in regards to Canada. Some places have long waits and others do not.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Grim_Traveller
on 1/24/18 7:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The Canadian system is very different from the US. There are a bunch of forums on here for Canadians. The link specific to BC is http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/BC/

There are a bunch of other Canadian groups though.

Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cheffy
on 6/13/18 3:25 pm

How did this turn out for you?
I just asked my doctor a couple weeks ago for a referral and he did not know where. I followed up today and was apparently they have referred me to a doc in Kelowna (im from Penticton).

have you heard from the doc? how long did it take doryou to hear from doc ( if have already)?
I can only find a website for Gastric-band in Kelowna which i dont want..

Any update would be helpful for me to prepare.

Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics