Reaching onederland/End Goal

Laura in Texas
on 1/22/18 7:57 am

I wanted to get to the same weight I was in my 20's. I felt healthy then. For me, that is 140 (a BMI of 22). Quite a few people here lose 100% of our excess weight.

We get to choose our own goal, but I do think it is imperative to have one. Whether that be a certain BMI or body fat percentage or size (a tricky one since sizes vary so much and everything has spandex), you get to choose.

If we do not have any goal at all, it is too easy to gain. "Well, I look OK at this weight even though I have gained x amount of pounds" seems to be a common trap. People keep gaining, and gaining, and gaining, justifying it in their head that they still feel OK or look OK, etc.

I think having a number on the scale as your goal is important and it is important to weigh on a regular basis.

Just my $0.02.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/22/18 9:30 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My surgeon set my goal at the top of normal BMI for me (around 140). I passed that within about 4 months post-op, so I set my own goal at 125, the lowest adult weight I was ever at (for a minute or two). I reached that at about 7 months post-op and started raising my calories but lost another 10 pounds more or less before my weight stabilized at about 9 months post-op. At first I thought it was too thin, but then I got used to being 115-118, which I have been maintaining for almost 14 months now.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/22/18 9:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I struggled HARD with the body dysmorphia, especially about the time I hit 199. I didn't recognize the face I was in the mirror, and that freaked me the hell out. So I totally understood you!

I didn't really have a goal that was a number on the scale. I wanted to get off my blood pressure meds (happened at 4 months out), off my CPAP (6 months), and ride 40 miles in the big city bike race (just shy of 1 year post-op****pt working to lose that whole first year, hit 150, did the race, and said "Yeah, I'm happy with this."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics