Not losing any weight!

Jyshiver
on 1/22/18 10:14 am

It might be that your calories are too low. Our bodies need a certain level just to continue functioning, especially to lose weight. What does your nutritionist recommend?

And don't mess with your meds! I know I don't eat well (or anything else) when I am depressed. Sleeved 11/16/17, been on prozac 25 years and wellbutron almost that long plus I take Deplin, which is a prescription vitamin that helps the medication cross the brain barrier. Good luck!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/23/18 9:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

>> It might be that your calories are too low.

This is EXTREMELY unlikely.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Jyshiver
on 1/23/18 10:53 am

What makes you say that? I talk to lots of early post-op patients who haven't gotten their calories beyond 700 or 800 calories. And weight loss will stall if calories are too low.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/23/18 10:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

No, weight loss will NOT stall if calories are too low. People like to cite "starvation mode," but it's a complete and total myth.

http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/

During the initial weight loss phase, stalls happen, whether you're eating 600 calories or 1000.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Jyshiver
on 1/23/18 11:17 am

He has some good points. And he clearly read Wansink's book which had lots of enlightening ideas. But I see nothing in his article about bariatric patients. What is usual and normal for other people often doesn't apply to us. He gives almost no clinical studies to support his ideas. Besides, I was more concerned about her staying on her meds.

Sepster
on 1/23/18 10:41 am
VSG on 09/11/17 with

I haven't seen a nutritionist. I thought I'll do better and see what happens. I need to go to a therapist more than a nutritionist I think! My old habits are hard to break. I'm specially struggling with grazing. I'm getting better though. As much as I want to have something sugary in the house I don't buy it no matter what! I'm using willpower, but that is not going to last. That's why I want a therapist familiar with bariatric patients.

Jyshiver
on 1/23/18 10:57 am

I hear that! I couldn't have done any of this without my therapist and psychiatrist! I would suggest using an app to record everything you eat. It helps a lot with accountability. But you are right about getting to the heart of WHY you eat. I also read a good article about why willpower is overrated. You only have so much willpower so you need to find strategies beyond that. I will try to find that article and send you the link. Meanwhile, hang in there!

Sepster
on 1/23/18 11:30 am
VSG on 09/11/17 with

I just started using MyFitness App a couple of days ago, but I don't log in as soon as I eat something. I forget that after eating I need to put it in the app! and since I don't eat on schedule, I can't set an alarm.

Jyshiver
on 1/23/18 12:00 pm

It takes while to get in the habit! But it is worth it. Plus it takes some time to find your foods. I end up leaving product wrappers on my desk so I don't forget to log them! It does get easier!

Olive1990
on 1/22/18 10:24 am

Hi there, 4 months or so post op for me I hit a platue for 6 months. I became very frustrated. I too was on Celexa. I kept on just eating what I was suppose to and doing everything as per treatment. I did go back to see my surgeon. I had a gastric bypass, anyway he did an upper GI and the test came back fine but from then on I started loosing 30 lbs a month till I hit my goal. I just suggest to keep your head up and push through. and push the water. Good Luck and may God bless you.Olive

Most Active
Recent Topics