Why not Mexico

Manda32
on 1/18/18 1:14 am

I had my VSG surgery in Ontario last March, and my brother also had a VSG at the end of November. Yes, I do very much agree with you that the RNY is heavily pushed in our system, but I would not make the decision of going to Mexico, until you've talked to the surgeon first.

I'm finding more and more that some surgeons are being a bit more open to discussing the VSG options, rather then tell you your having the RNY and that's it. Generally speaking VSG is chosen for people if they can't get off NSAIDS, or other medical concerns (previous abdominal surgery, etc).

Having said that, I believe the surgeon will listen to your concerns. My best advice is to be your own advocate, if you want to the VSG, you might have to push for it, but it doesn't mean you absolutely can't get it done here. Also, you could always ask to see another surgeon, if this surgeon refuses.

I'm not sure what center you are going through, but most hospitals have multiple surgeons doing these surgeries. It might push you back a little, but again, if your lucky to get a surgeon whose willing to listen, and hey all those concerns you have, he/she might suggest the VSG so you never know.

I also don't take calcium supplements either. I'm pretty sure most people do, but my doctor doesn't suggest calcium, unless my bloodwork were to show it being low. Now, I understand you have had some bone loss, and mild osteoporosis, so I'm thinking either surgery you'd most likely have to take it. Yes, we don't have malabsorption, but we can't eat a lot either.

My mom 'had' osteoporosis they have some wonderful drugs that increased her bone density over the years. Are you on any meds for it? I know my mom had and still has to take a lot of calcium supplements, as she doesn't eat a lot of foods ri*****alcium.

Discuss everything with the surgeon, and I hope you can get the surgery you want.

I have zero regrets doing WLS surgery. I'm so thankful I had the VSG, and all the pre and post op care we have here in Ontario, so fight for it! The post op care is wonderful, and you won't have that if you go to Mexico, even though I do understand your dilema.

Good luck on Friday! I wish you all the best!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Grim_Traveller
on 1/18/18 1:45 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There is no good blood test to find out if your bone health is affected by lack of calcium intake. The only reliable test for that is a DEXA scan.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Mirandia
on 1/19/18 2:26 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Perhaps all you need to do is stick to your guns about which surgery you prefer back with your solid reasons.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/17/18 11:15 am
VSG on 08/29/16

I researched the heck out of going to Mexico prior to doing it. I absolutely 100% would back anyone going where I went. Very thorough, excellent care and the cleanest facility I have been to in my life and I work in the medical industry.

Rachel B.
on 1/24/18 8:19 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I second that!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Harpediem
on 1/18/18 8:22 am

Thank you manda32

i feel very encouraged after reading your post. I meet my surgeon tomorrow so I have a lot of questions. I'm told I'll have my surgery in Kingston, and they do VSG 's at the hospital here so that sounds hopeful. I hope my surgery will be in a month, which is when they are booking now, so I'm getting excited. Frankly, I'd rather not go to Mexico though DrAlveraz is a very good doctor who does follow up but he's too far away if there's a problem.

the tone at the pre-op seminar was almost that VSG is a poor second choice. Frankly, I don't see it that way. I see so many people on these forums who have reached their goal and stayed there. I think it's all about "sticking with the program". Not matter what wls surgery you have you can regain some or all your weight if you don't make that commitment.

Pauline

cherri_wyatt
on 1/19/18 6:05 pm
VSG on 01/04/18

I had my surgery in Mexico in the 4th , 28lbs down

Harpediem
on 1/21/18 8:29 am

Update

i met the surgeon and he is happy to do the VSG. Said there would be a little extra paperwork for him to justify it but it wouldn't be a problem.

feeling relieve.

diane S.
on 1/21/18 8:42 am

Hi, Regarding vsg vs rny, there is an article on the lap.sf web site about vsg being a better option for older patients. That factored in to my decision but only you can decide. Regarding Mexico, I have hear much good about Dr. A. I have also heard that if you go to Mexico and come home and later have a complication, other surgeons don't want to deal with it. But thats the US and one person's opinion. Knowing what I know now 8 years out, I would not avoid Mexico with a good surgeon as Dr. A. GL. DS

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Donna L.
on 1/21/18 9:29 am, edited 1/21/18 1:31 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've known many who've been able to get a VSG in Canada without having to go to Mexico. And, the sleeve is catching up with the bypass. These numbers are from 2012, and even more sleeves are done than several years ago. Part of the preference is that RNY was the gold standard world-wide and the VSG was actually experimental on its own up until a few years ago.

So, don't lose heart. They are likely to perform it. :) Here's the data from several years ago.

As for Mexico, many do get surgery there safely. Just be cautious and investigate. Still, I'm not sure why they wouldn't do it unless you have GERD and/or diabetes. If that's the case, the RNY is better in the long run, speaking as someone who has had to deal with reflux since post-op.

"In 2012?2013, gastric bypass was the most commonly performed bariatric surgery in Canadian hospitals (53%), followed by sleeve gastrectomy (28%) and gastric banding (15%). Between 2006?2007 and 2009?2010, gastric banding and gastric bypass were the most common procedures. However, gastric bypass and sleeve procedures have increased sharply since 2009?2010, while the overall number of other procedures (such as biliopancreatic diversion) has declined."

Source: https://secure.cihi.ca/free_products/Bariatric_Surgery_in_Ca nada_EN.pdf

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics