6 years post op?

Grim_Traveller
on 1/17/18 5:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This 1,000 times this.

Simple carbs is what got every single one of us onto an obesity website. It wasn't fat, or meat, or cheese, or lack of exercise. Simple carbs put us here.

Simple carbs is what puts people back here with regain.

Leave the simple carbs the hell alone. There is absolutely no reason any of us need to eat rice, potatoes, sugar or wheat again. Not unless we want to be obese again.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gina 22 years out
on 1/17/18 5:49 am - Burleson, TX

PERFECTLY well said!!!!!

As a successful, almost 16 year post op, I ABSOLUTELY appreciate the opportunity to learn new things, EVERY day, and my ability to keep an open mind!!!

If I did the things I "learned", back in the dark ages, no flippin' way would I be sitting at 18 pounds UNDER goal, this morning

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

sweetpotato1959
on 1/17/18 4:49 pm

Rocky,

These are techniques, NOT a diet prescription. They get their diet prescription from their SURGEON . I am talking technique. = A Thing that can be done as someone prepares a family dish to keep one's self on track,. I use a specific technique to alter my food from what I serve my family.It was not necessary to say WHY I remove any thing from my diet, to say HOW I do it.

On the cheese, I was saying I remove a portion of a food I want prepared in a different way from what I am preparing for the rest of the family. My post was on a specific food I alter. I can't eat cheese! and I like it..My hubby loves mac and cheese. NOthing MORE. I remove my one ounce portion of pasta and that is my carb. I have a meat and a side.Done.

I used as an example of HOW I rotate.( rice/pasta/etc.) (one oz.rice or carb/carrots=7 grams carb) to show that others can use a food they choose in rotation, It can be ANY vegetable or group of vegetables one normally has in their diet. and will have less carbs than my 7per meal.(Some people don't want broccoli daily.)

The list of vegs I can't eat is much longer than what I can. String beans is the only veg I can eat without worrying about the carbs, beyond my pouch limitations. If my protein is in, I have them for a snack.

Carbs are my only other choice besides protein drinks that have some carbs in them...I can't eat the things you are eating,( ex.no lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage,nothing in that family) but rotation of food choices May help someone who is having difficulty.

For most lactose intolerant ones, Yes, you are corrrect,generally it is said there is no lactose in sharp cheddars and some other food. Apparently, that is not my Only problem, but lactose intolerance is part of my issue..One or two bites is just not worth the pain.I don't tolerate most cheese or milk products, EVen Lactose free milk must be limited,I use up 1 oz a day..beyond that it gives me issues. Organic lactose free ,when I can find it. is a little better tolerated... Why? ___Not sure.

My intolerances are related to an expansive lack of enzymes that include lactose....Lactose intolerance alone is different, and easily addressed. Mine that are lacking include enzyme precursors and lactase... and beyond...I have not found the right combinations to allow me to eat cabbage,lettuce, raw or cooked greens,broccoli or cauliflower..ie non carbs.

If you have any ideas, have done any research on those enzyme combinations, I could try ,It would be very helpful and appreciated. I would love to add these foods without gastric distress.

You are so blessed,to not have food fatigue. I don't often, will eat same meal for 3 days in a row, but my husband does. So I must consider it,when I prepare our meals. If I eat a single protein as my meal, my food just sits there.

I was blessed to have a twist that untwisted twice 5 years apart from different causes, with low intermittent suction. Obstructions are not pretty. Those with that condition have my true sympathy and empathy.

None of these issues are to be laughed about. None of these things are funny. Please don't minimize it, any problem you don't have. Others may suffer with it. and need to find acceptable work arounds to stay in their diet and get nutrition in. Enzyme deficinecy is not as severe with the current procedures being done, I am thankful ,others don't have the exact issues I have.

And no I don't eat foods and fluids together, I separate my foods and fluids by at least 30 min, which was my orig.RX. Food celebrations don't happen here either. ...not part of my culture.

Miss Liss
on 1/18/18 7:33 am, edited 1/17/18 11:35 pm

I have gut issues. One of my issues is a lack of digestive enzymes. I take digestive enzymes, and I do well with most foods now except dairy. I just can't eat dairy, and I hate that because I love cheese. Dairy and gluten cause me major issues with my gut, but thanks to the wonderful enzyme supplements on the market, I can enjoy all the veggies raw and cooked with no problems. And that allows me to eat how I am supposed to eat to keep my weight off. I see a naturopathic doctor for my gut issues and have been amazed at how much better I feel.

**Edited to add that I just saw your post below and that you have tried enzymes and probiotics already. Hopefully you'll find the combo that works for you.

sweetpotato1959
on 1/18/18 11:08 am

Thanks for our kind and considerate response.

it seems like we always crave what we don't tolerate... I tried the OTC digestive enzymes in two different brands / different amounts and have sought further interventions... I am not truly allergic to milk, but don't digest anything that is not labeled lactose free, and precious little of that, which IS labeled lactose free.. so it is a severe type of lactose intolerance with enzyme deficiency..... a half gallon of lactose free milk.. lasts me 3 weeks.,( I freeze half of it and re thaw as needed, in ice cube trays.).

. I have another set of enzymes that were recommended but have not arrived yet , The plan is to start with the lower recommended dose and increase to the higher recommended dose.. We are also changing to a more holistic diet, avoiding all GMO products and products with finishing procedures..no pesticides, etc...that is in progress and a s offending things are removed, His stomach and nerves are functioning better.

Some take exception to me saying I had my surgery many years ago.I say that so that others are aware I had an older surgery..Is there anyone who does not know surgical procedures/practices have changed in that length of time?..

.I have a large section of small bowel that is not able to absorb/produce enzyme? ...the part where my enzymes are made,just below the old stomach...,+a 6 ft attached to the bottom of my pouch.In addition to the RNY Ihad a couple of resection procedures and a large portion of my colon removed..

The surgery I had was NOT recommended to the lactose intolerant, but I had came to that conclusion on my own, no true diagnosis.. I wanted to LIVE well.. and was going down hill, so I had the only surgical option being done in my area at that time. It has given me the ability to do/care phycically for my family, and it extended my Moms life(she had it to)by a couple decades of quality .

Each time I have gastritis my issue becomes worse, somethin akin to an open sewer, papermill and sour milk, kinda combined. My husband is all for me finding the answers..he is really looking forward to the resolution of this issue as am I.

Daisydoo02
on 1/17/18 5:48 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

The LACTOSE intolerant DO EAT CHEESE!

Both my husband and I are lactose intolerant, him from birth and me after my RNY. We eat cheese all the time and have ZERO problems.

You really need to stop making claims that are false.

Food fatigue is a TOTALLY different topic than eating the amount of carbs you do. Get your story straight and stop giving out "advice" that is totally against the principles of WLS.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

sweetpotato1959
on 1/16/18 7:35 pm

Jacreasy, .(and also to others). I know others who do not know me, consider MY diet to be odd, and against what they do and what they are prescribed. I do not recommend necessarily you eat exactly what I eat. I have to change my foods up in some manner or I go into food fatigue and can't eat...nothing, nada,not meat, not vegs, only junk like potato chips go down then. I don't like not being able to eat properly, I don't like greasy and salty foods, my tastes have changed. to keep from going into food fatigue i rotate all my food by caegory, meats, vegs we are able to eat,and grains we are able to eat. I must maintain my protein and carbs very close to my RX. I have taken control of mine.

The thing you need to know is your diet as prescribed. Your Doctors orders and YOUR body and its tolerances and intolerances.. You are responsible for using your surgical tool for the best benefit you can.

I am Here to tell Jacreasy : YOU CAN DO THIS. You are WORTH the time and effort to get where you desire to be in health and happiness.

.I have regained only 20 lbs over 23 years.. still strugging with getting the final back off. Over several years I have taken the responsibility for caring for family members who were unable to take care of themselves. During that time I let myself health-wise go and depleated my iron and immune system.I also had a drastic reduction in my physical activity, over the past 14 years. after I turned 45 I was no longer able to physically unload 18 wheelers by hand. The result was a change in my needed calories, metabolism and blood sugar yo-yo's. Doing in-home complete nursing care does not have the same stress involved as unloading trucks. It's a different dynamic, both are physical but in different ways and use different muscles. I missed a lot of sleep because of others illness and medical crisis.I ignored my medical needs and now am playing catch up to get my anemia, and immune system back up to full potential, while rebuilding my strength,and loosing the last few pounds.

I would urge you to get regular medical checkups and regular labs, see a professional that is able to guide you to your best choices...even when caring for others and think you do not have time. Make full use of the benefits you have available early in your new way of life. The more you learn now and apply the easier to make tweaks as you and your body adjust thru the years.. Each surgeon will make different recommendations from their clinics. Each one is right. They have the experience of seeing many patients in a day/week/month. If you don't like/trust them find another Dr before you have surgery.

My diet is specific to me. It is adjusted because my intolerances are many. My protein and carb limits were set by my surgeon. My diet is 90 grams of protein daily + carbs of 50-70 grams...in whatever form I wish for that day.that may include any food I tolerate, and sometimes those I have a limited toerance for.

I can eat anything I want, but must know what the results will be and if I wish to pay the price for eating a food. I eat liver 3 x a week in some form and take a dessicated liver to rebuild my iron.

I must eat something besides meat.I do not want to go in renal failure from consuming only protein. I do rotate my carbs whi*****lude rice pasta and potatoes. I keep my carbs no higher than 70 grams day with daily goals of 50-70. I have no food I don't eat, except what I don't tolerate. There are several groups of food I do not tolerate.This is why they make vitamins to fill in the gaps of non-tolerated foods.

Notice i am not saying I don't like these foods, but that I don't digest.. they ferment in my gut... gas from that has caused two gastric twists and I don't want to go there again. It is painful!.It costs a 6 day hospital stay, a NG tube to low intermittent suction for the first 5 days and then a day of increasing tolerance.. clear liquids to solids. I have gottten very good at knowing when I am at the cusp of gastritis and bowel inflammation.

A MD, FNP and I worked out a protocol for me to use for that. I use it as needed.. I choose what works for me. Day #1: includes ONLY ice water, prevacid and nothing except rice for ... that would be about 1/2 cup dry rice, cooked makes almost 2 cups, and eaten thru the day =320 calories. It is more than enough for an inflamed intestine.

Day #2 next day is soft scrambled eggs(only water and no oil.)one pc. dry toast, other meals are and 2 oz rice and 3 oz meat, boiled baked or grilled,.( struggle to get the protein in on these days...)

Day 3: add to day 2, one 2-3 oz serv of vegetable to each meal,(may reduce rice, so i eat it for snack if need calories.. with up to 2 oz portion of meat.)

Each of you will have different tolerances and different intolerances. I had a different surgery from that is being done today. basically an RNY plus intestinal revisions both to small bowel and colon.GB and appendix were removed.and bandings above pouch and below the pouch. The result is I have Many of the problems of those with various other gastric surgeries, plus some.

My generation of those who had Gastric BY Passes,were "the guinea pigs" for those who have had the newer procedures... Dr's learned what did and did not work, and what the minimally invasive options are to get results desired. My pouch size is 5-6 ounces. I generally eat 2 full meals and 2 small snacks..(most of the time it is the meat I was unable to eat at my meal, with a couple of saltines.) I constantly drink filtered water...allowing for time before and after a meal when I drink nothing.

To answer the unspoken question... Would I do it again, knowing now, what I know? Yes, I would, I belive it has given me the ability to fulfill obligations to my family and others. I am living a fuller life. Able to do more things, like tie my shoes, work in the garden, mow the yard with a push mower.

Now, isn't that why we all do try a procedure (which has no guarantee it will help us get healthy, but gives us the tools we need to do so.) because it is easy? No , it would be easier to remain in the same rut. ..at least til we die early. Each person here has some reason for needing a surgical procedure to assist hem to be/obain health.

I had many gastric intolerances before surgery..the first one i figured out was lactose intolerance. I am still working on finding the right set of gastric enzymes for broccoli and cabbage. Til then, my tolerance is so low it is a waste of money to buy them. My husband can have none due to inherited disorder.

Gastric surgery put my intolerances all of them on steroids... that means....NO Cheese, sour cream ,yugurt, greek yugurt,milk or buttermilk., no ice cream, no ice cream diet bars, no icee's unless I make them myself with stevia., from plain koolaid. I scratch cook almost every meal we eat at this house. There are no hidden calories in pre-made meals/mixes and no hidden ingredients.

I also tolerate no artificial sweetners,( gives me the quickstep, the Tennessee trots.) so can have no diet products, zero calorie drinks, nothing labeled sugar free, nothing labeled no calorie,... so yes i use small amounts of sugar and pure stevia. I am allowed treats. occassionally. They are figured in my overrall carbs and proteins. I keep a running tally of protein and carb servings on a regular basis.

I usually drink water filtered with ice and..no bottled water, . I also can't eat greens... not kale, lettuce, turnip or mustard greens, broccoil cabbage or cauliflower.. and only limited amounts (up to 2 oz.)of beans , sweet peas , butterbeans once a day/or less

I can't digest nuts, not peanuts,almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, pecans, or sunflower seed. Nor beans peas,legumes..

I also tolerate very little fruit..only applesauce, 3oz., apple juice in 3 oz portions ,pineapple (a slice as desert)canned peaches..(one ounce)... no bananas, citrus, (rash) few tomatoes(too high in acid,use as an ingredient in small amts.)

My vegetables are extremely limited... The only thing I tolerate at present is root crops which are carb heavy and grains. I tolerate and we like quiona occassionally.(higher in protein, eat it q 2-3 wks.) Since my max is volume s 6oz ,limiting carbs by limiting the amts of these foods I eat has been my only option. I tried beano, helps, but triple dose is not enough,even for 3oz serving.. I have tried some herbal teas, they help, do relieve lactose tolerance, but taste earthy, not something I want to take daily.. I tried probiotics. String beans is the only vegetable we can both eat well, has few carbs, and we already eat it 4-5x a week.. tomatoes are limited because of acid. Other vegs that are supposed to be "good for you"...GAS! paint peeling variety.

I began this journey at 292.5 now range around 170-175. my orig goal was 160... i made it to 149 for one day. (When i worked 16 hour days(6 years) unloading trucks my weight was 155). I am on no prescription meds. I use nutrish supplements: iron, mag, calcium, zinc, K2,Iodine,D3.Vitamin C and.. B complex in a sublingual. I take no RX'd drugs.NO.blood pressure meds, no arthritis drugs, no allergy meds..my PRN gastritis is generic and I get it OTC. I use herbals for pancreatic support.

I have obstacles, no one saw coming for me. I am very near my goal weight. I can do this with these obstacles,. If I can do it so can you. You have to get your head in the game of life. Have fun. Work hard, play hard, ground your children in health and happiness.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/16/18 9:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

>> The thing you need to know is your diet as prescribed.

This is very true. So why are you going into long detail about your own diet, when you explicitly acknowledge that it's not standard?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sweetpotato1959
on 1/17/18 3:35 pm

Julie,

I have to work within the confines of MY tolerances. I was trying to show I have taken responsibility for myself, as everyone else, must. Each of us has chosen some surgical route.Those are not easily changed.

The technique is the same no matter what foods are finished in a different manner, from what one would normally serve their healthy family members.

I used mac and cheese as an example of something I would alter for my use by removing a portion, before finishing for family. Others will have another food they may want to change for their needs... like using an insta pot to tendrize a tough ,browned, meat , and removing a portion then preparing a different dish for the family. My 1 oz removed portion/pasta=7 grams carbs. served with my meat portion=enough.Still takes me a while to eat.

Since each person is different I advocate each one recognise their many nuiances and find acceptable (for them) ways to get proper nurition in. ie. Things that work for #2 person might not work for #3, but could have potential for #6. The reason this board works so well to help others is such a wide variety of people are providing options, that have helped in their past during difficult situations.

Several took me saying "I remove cheese" from my diet, as they should do the same . I did not say WHY I was altering.(IT wasn't necessary to explain the technique) That's Not what I WAS saying! They continued with ...and oh how each one loves it and eats it as a primary protein. While, I believe the better balanced our diets can be naturally, the better our health will be. It is Wonderful! I am so glad others are able to eat it and enjoy it. I agree is is good for those that can eat it. I USED to eat it that way too.. NOW I can't! I have gotten more intolerant by the year. I love cheese, especiallay sharp cheddar, I like greek yugurt, plain even.. and I love vegetables, but they bloat me til i appear as if 6 months pregnant. Then I go into gastritis. I have had 2 intestinal twists from gas. They hurt! (worse than labor.) I just detest being in the hospital with a tube down my nose!

I have lactose intolerance PLUS, and Enzyme deficiency PLUS... I prefer vegetables over meat, but 90 grams protein is prescribed and I signed on to this with life changing surgery.I don't always reach that goal, 12 oz meat daily is difficult.80 Grams, I don't sweat, and try to do better the next day.Carbs are usually 50-70 range for 24 hours.

I have used beano,and several other enzyme replacers , lactase and milk digestants, probiotics.. My conclusion is I will need some combination, but have not found the exact one yet. Til then, I avoid most milk products, and other offenders, routinely.

I eat my protein and carbs mixed in some manner.I try for ratio,2/3 meat and one third another food.This is working Within the portions I am allowed and tolerate(not a slider,NOT soup. NOT liquid + protein , but just another food, a choice). I can't choke down protein only. I am not/never was addicted to food. Others may need to avoid certain foods because they are triggers for binging.Not my subject. B complex sublingual(recommended orig by my nutrishionist atttached to surgeon) helps with carb cravings...I no longer have them.

Another trick ,for my taste buds, I also use is to serve myself same proteins, prepared differently, to get my total for the meal in. I might use a 3oz of chicken out of the stew pot, and some prepared as BBQ (1 oz.)for my total protein amount. Measuring foods, imperative. Moisture in food, for me is 1 oz prepared plain rice, for another 1 oz broccoli will do the same thing.Eaten with my meat enables me to get in ALL my prescribed food.I hold liquids 30 min before and after meals.

Who knows what causes the "yuck, I can't eat, what I am prescribed" after few bites. It could be a number of things including eating too quickly, improper chewing, and hidden fat... Moving around briefly, 3 min,is one diversion I use,by then I know whether I have to put the remainder of my meal up for a snack/meal later or wait prescribed time and finish protein needs..with liquids.

Everyone has the ability to change their pouch/surgical tool size by over eating and abusing it. It is my plan to NOT go there, NOR to send others there.

I expect many of my problems are from the additionals procedures- beyond my upper By pass. I have only have 10 ft of small intestine and 2 ft of colon, and believe that is the reason for my many intolerances. I also have 2 bandings, and three areas where resection occurred in the procedure/narrow passages,( I can feel ice water or heat move past them, espec. when dealing with a near empty bowel.)

I return to the boards intermittently, hoping someone has posted of another enzyme to try or a "new to me" protein supplement and to encourage others to use their tool for best advantage. I have gotten several things I have incorporated into supplements...like mag citrate...

I have consulted privately with 2 nutritionists, and a herbalist. so far nothing they have said has worked completely. Organics help to some degree. Everlasting tea helps some. Beano and lactase, in very large amounts, help some.

My Surgeon retired, because of heart limitations, earlier than he anticipated. No one wants to take patients of another surgeon,leaving the "surgically changed" with few to no options for consultation or assistance in this field. THAT was something we never anticipated.

hollykim
on 1/17/18 10:21 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 17, 2018 at 3:35 AM Pacific Time, sweetpotato1959 wrote:

Jacreasy, .(and also to others). I know others who do not know me, consider MY diet to be odd, and against what they do and what they are prescribed. I do not recommend necessarily you eat exactly what I eat. I have to change my foods up in some manner or I go into food fatigue and can't eat...nothing, nada,not meat, not vegs, only junk like potato chips go down then. I don't like not being able to eat properly, I don't like greasy and salty foods, my tastes have changed. to keep from going into food fatigue i rotate all my food by caegory, meats, vegs we are able to eat,and grains we are able to eat. I must maintain my protein and carbs very close to my RX. I have taken control of mine.

The thing you need to know is your diet as prescribed. Your Doctors orders and YOUR body and its tolerances and intolerances.. You are responsible for using your surgical tool for the best benefit you can.

I am Here to tell Jacreasy : YOU CAN DO THIS. You are WORTH the time and effort to get where you desire to be in health and happiness.

.I have regained only 20 lbs over 23 years.. still strugging with getting the final back off. Over several years I have taken the responsibility for caring for family members who were unable to take care of themselves. During that time I let myself health-wise go and depleated my iron and immune system.I also had a drastic reduction in my physical activity, over the past 14 years. after I turned 45 I was no longer able to physically unload 18 wheelers by hand. The result was a change in my needed calories, metabolism and blood sugar yo-yo's. Doing in-home complete nursing care does not have the same stress involved as unloading trucks. It's a different dynamic, both are physical but in different ways and use different muscles. I missed a lot of sleep because of others illness and medical crisis.I ignored my medical needs and now am playing catch up to get my anemia, and immune system back up to full potential, while rebuilding my strength,and loosing the last few pounds.

I would urge you to get regular medical checkups and regular labs, see a professional that is able to guide you to your best choices...even when caring for others and think you do not have time. Make full use of the benefits you have available early in your new way of life. The more you learn now and apply the easier to make tweaks as you and your body adjust thru the years.. Each surgeon will make different recommendations from their clinics. Each one is right. They have the experience of seeing many patients in a day/week/month. If you don't like/trust them find another Dr before you have surgery.

My diet is specific to me. It is adjusted because my intolerances are many. My protein and carb limits were set by my surgeon. My diet is 90 grams of protein daily + carbs of 50-70 grams...in whatever form I wish for that day.that may include any food I tolerate, and sometimes those I have a limited toerance for.

I can eat anything I want, but must know what the results will be and if I wish to pay the price for eating a food. I eat liver 3 x a week in some form and take a dessicated liver to rebuild my iron.

I must eat something besides meat.I do not want to go in renal failure from consuming only protein. I do rotate my carbs whi*****lude rice pasta and potatoes. I keep my carbs no higher than 70 grams day with daily goals of 50-70. I have no food I don't eat, except what I don't tolerate. There are several groups of food I do not tolerate.This is why they make vitamins to fill in the gaps of non-tolerated foods.

Notice i am not saying I don't like these foods, but that I don't digest.. they ferment in my gut... gas from that has caused two gastric twists and I don't want to go there again. It is painful!.It costs a 6 day hospital stay, a NG tube to low intermittent suction for the first 5 days and then a day of increasing tolerance.. clear liquids to solids. I have gottten very good at knowing when I am at the cusp of gastritis and bowel inflammation.

A MD, FNP and I worked out a protocol for me to use for that. I use it as needed.. I choose what works for me. Day #1: includes ONLY ice water, prevacid and nothing except rice for ... that would be about 1/2 cup dry rice, cooked makes almost 2 cups, and eaten thru the day =320 calories. It is more than enough for an inflamed intestine.

Day #2 next day is soft scrambled eggs(only water and no oil.)one pc. dry toast, other meals are and 2 oz rice and 3 oz meat, boiled baked or grilled,.( struggle to get the protein in on these days...)

Day 3: add to day 2, one 2-3 oz serv of vegetable to each meal,(may reduce rice, so i eat it for snack if need calories.. with up to 2 oz portion of meat.)

Each of you will have different tolerances and different intolerances. I had a different surgery from that is being done today. basically an RNY plus intestinal revisions both to small bowel and colon.GB and appendix were removed.and bandings above pouch and below the pouch. The result is I have Many of the problems of those with various other gastric surgeries, plus some.

My generation of those who had Gastric BY Passes,were "the guinea pigs" for those who have had the newer procedures... Dr's learned what did and did not work, and what the minimally invasive options are to get results desired. My pouch size is 5-6 ounces. I generally eat 2 full meals and 2 small snacks..(most of the time it is the meat I was unable to eat at my meal, with a couple of saltines.) I constantly drink filtered water...allowing for time before and after a meal when I drink nothing.

To answer the unspoken question... Would I do it again, knowing now, what I know? Yes, I would, I belive it has given me the ability to fulfill obligations to my family and others. I am living a fuller life. Able to do more things, like tie my shoes, work in the garden, mow the yard with a push mower.

Now, isn't that why we all do try a procedure (which has no guarantee it will help us get healthy, but gives us the tools we need to do so.) because it is easy? No , it would be easier to remain in the same rut. ..at least til we die early. Each person here has some reason for needing a surgical procedure to assist hem to be/obain health.

I had many gastric intolerances before surgery..the first one i figured out was lactose intolerance. I am still working on finding the right set of gastric enzymes for broccoli and cabbage. Til then, my tolerance is so low it is a waste of money to buy them. My husband can have none due to inherited disorder.

Gastric surgery put my intolerances all of them on steroids... that means....NO Cheese, sour cream ,yugurt, greek yugurt,milk or buttermilk., no ice cream, no ice cream diet bars, no icee's unless I make them myself with stevia., from plain koolaid. I scratch cook almost every meal we eat at this house. There are no hidden calories in pre-made meals/mixes and no hidden ingredients.

I also tolerate no artificial sweetners,( gives me the quickstep, the Tennessee trots.) so can have no diet products, zero calorie drinks, nothing labeled sugar free, nothing labeled no calorie,... so yes i use small amounts of sugar and pure stevia. I am allowed treats. occassionally. They are figured in my overrall carbs and proteins. I keep a running tally of protein and carb servings on a regular basis.

I usually drink water filtered with ice and..no bottled water, . I also can't eat greens... not kale, lettuce, turnip or mustard greens, broccoil cabbage or cauliflower.. and only limited amounts (up to 2 oz.)of beans , sweet peas , butterbeans once a day/or less

I can't digest nuts, not peanuts,almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, pecans, or sunflower seed. Nor beans peas,legumes..

I also tolerate very little fruit..only applesauce, 3oz., apple juice in 3 oz portions ,pineapple (a slice as desert)canned peaches..(one ounce)... no bananas, citrus, (rash) few tomatoes(too high in acid,use as an ingredient in small amts.)

My vegetables are extremely limited... The only thing I tolerate at present is root crops which are carb heavy and grains. I tolerate and we like quiona occassionally.(higher in protein, eat it q 2-3 wks.) Since my max is volume s 6oz ,limiting carbs by limiting the amts of these foods I eat has been my only option. I tried beano, helps, but triple dose is not enough,even for 3oz serving.. I have tried some herbal teas, they help, do relieve lactose tolerance, but taste earthy, not something I want to take daily.. I tried probiotics. String beans is the only vegetable we can both eat well, has few carbs, and we already eat it 4-5x a week.. tomatoes are limited because of acid. Other vegs that are supposed to be "good for you"...GAS! paint peeling variety.

I began this journey at 292.5 now range around 170-175. my orig goal was 160... i made it to 149 for one day. (When i worked 16 hour days(6 years) unloading trucks my weight was 155). I am on no prescription meds. I use nutrish supplements: iron, mag, calcium, zinc, K2,Iodine,D3.Vitamin C and.. B complex in a sublingual. I take no RX'd drugs.NO.blood pressure meds, no arthritis drugs, no allergy meds..my PRN gastritis is generic and I get it OTC. I use herbals for pancreatic support.

I have obstacles, no one saw coming for me. I am very near my goal weight. I can do this with these obstacles,. If I can do it so can you. You have to get your head in the game of life. Have fun. Work hard, play hard, ground your children in health and happiness.

you don't need to be giving diet advice to anyone.

Most Active
Recent Topics