Weight loss stall almost 3 months after surgery. What am I doing wrong ?

Contadine
on 1/15/18 11:02 am
VSG on 11/17/17

I had a three-week stall only a month after surgery. So, generally speaking, don't let it freak you out. They happen at any time.

That said, I agree your calories might be too high. Everyone is different, but I'm around 700-800 calories at 8 weeks out. During my stall, I was closer to 900-1000 many days.

And, at that many calories, and even at 600-800, you should be able to get all of your protein from food and not need the shakes. I've been off the shakes for a few weeks already. 70 grams of protein is only 280 calories. Getting rid of the shakes and eating solid protein will help you feel full longer, and satisfied on 600-800 calories.

The only carbs I do are from dairy, veg, and fruit (and a really rare cracker or two - just a few calories).

VSG 11/17/17 | HW: 318.6 | SW: 295.6 | CW: 263.2 | Pre-Op: -23 | M1: -16.7 | M2: -14.1 | My Trend Weight

Cres89
on 1/16/18 2:25 pm
VSG on 10/20/17

I've done some changes to the calorie intake so I'm really thinking that was the issue. I was consuming too many calories.

I wont know until next week see if I see changes on the scale. ð?'?

Im beginning to get off the shakes as well. Every now and then I'll have one as a snack in between meals. But no longer do I replace them for a meal. When I was just out of surgery maybe 4-6 weeks they were all I was having for breakfast and dinner.

thank you for your advice!

Bentzly
on 1/15/18 2:39 pm
VSG on 09/18/17

I did this too. It was really frustrating, especially over the holidays. I found that my protein was slipping and I was only getting about 100 to 110 grams of protein where my body needed 124 to 130. Also, I notice I stall every time I change my exercise. I walk 3 miles, next couple of days I am up a lb with no loss. I have found that yoga a couple of times a week is the trick for me. Making sure I get 10000 steps a day does the trick.

Lastly, so much of this is a mind game. Even if I lose 1 or 2 lbs in a week, at least it is a loss. I am not going back to my sedentary lifestyle where I felt defeated all the time. Make sure you are reflecting on where your thoughts is.

You can do this. You must be proud of the 53 lbs you have already loss. Congrats! What a great accomplishment!

Cres89
on 1/16/18 2:16 pm
VSG on 10/20/17

Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I've been doing a lot of reflecting and looking at old pictures recognizing the big change and acknowledging the hard work I've put in this far.

Ive adjusted the calorie intake and I'm hoping next week I'll see changes on the scale again ?ð?'ª?

Donna L.
on 1/16/18 2:30 pm, edited 1/16/18 6:31 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The kind of calories matter just as much as the amount. Some of us, unfortunately, will stall if we eat carrots or granola. I'm one of them. Even very small amounts will cause me to stall. Being Sicilian, I also secretly hoped I could inhale biscotti forever given my genes and lamented this myself after I got over my denial about it pre-op.

Fat-free dairy almost always is higher in sugar...an exception are the Light & Fit Greek Yogurts, which are high protein and lower sugar. I think they are 9g each?

I take plain greek yogurt and add a squirt of mio and/or one teaspoon (non-heaping) of sugar free jam. That winds up being about 6-7g of carbs.

Obesity is not just caused by overconsumption; it's caused by hormone dysregulation. Specifically, it's caused by insulin resistance. Foods that raise insulin can cause weight gain. I can literally eat a half a banana and gain 1-2 pounds, however my highest weight was about 750 pounds (I weigh far, far, far, less now).

Some of us even with intestinal bypasses will retain this very severe insulin resistance. It's unfair and it sucks, and I whined about it a lot (thankfully long before I found the OH forums). I still may be bitter about no lasagna, lol. However, for me, mobility and longevity and health are better. My last A1C was 4.6% (down from well over 11 ages ago). I came to the realization that toes are worth more than lasagna in the end.

I'm rambling now. At any rate, Cres, do not give up. Work with your metabolism and you will make it work for you instead of the other way around. You can definitely get through the current plateau.

Edited: forgot to add that when we burn fat we excrete it two places - the lungs, and also the urine. If you aren't staying hydrated, you can't excrete these byproducts, which will hinder weight loss too.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Cres89
on 1/16/18 3:47 pm
VSG on 10/20/17

Wow congrats Donna! You've definitely inspired me to keep trying. I know I can do this. Kinda learning as I go. There are some things I'm descovering about myself and the way I eat now that wasn't taught in the pre surgery classes. Something were totally inaccurate, like the diatician saying I would no longer feel hungry or crave sweets! I do feel hunger just like I did before and sweets are still a crave every now and then. However, now when I think of the food I crave I stop and think is it worth me taking that bite and mess up everything I've worked hard for.

The pain and depression I went through after surgery was no joke. So I try my best to make the necessary changes so all that I went through was not suffered in vain.

Do do you have any recommendations as to what I can eat when I crave something sweet?

Thats my problem... being Latina in our culture there's a lot of sweet bread involved and sweet drinks and chocolate! I loved it all before and even used it as comfort food when I was going through hard times. Now it doesn't work that way. I can be strong but still need to figure out what I can eat that will satisfy that crave.

Donna L.
on 1/16/18 5:40 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Well. We are all different too, and some people are more sensitive to cravings than others. It's hard too because food has a huge cultural component and it's not just energy in many ways.

Many of us struggle with pain and depression post-op. It's hard to say the least. I had very bad mood swings due to the hormone dumping from the weight loss...it was awful.

As for a sweet tooth, I totally get it. Did you ever have the abuelita hot chocolate? I used to have it all the time. I found this was a good replacement. I use fairlife skim milk instead of the heavy cream, or I will use premier protein shakes (the vanilla) after it cools a bit. It is not like the original, but it's really good!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics