What surprised you the most post-surgery?

NYMom222
on 1/13/18 7:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Surgery post-op related: what the foamies were, why you got them

Surprised I actually got to a normal weight. And it really worked. I attribute the support here to realizing I could go all the way.

Surprised I got plastic surgery.... it wasn't even a thought starting out.

Surprised thst I don't miss certain Foods. I might enjoy them when I eat them occasionally.... here's looking at you pizza.... but don't crave them... there isn't that 'have to have them' Feeling.

Surprised I love exercising, hiking, running ....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/14/18 4:31 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Good ones. Me too on the Plastic Surgery. I never thought I'd even contemplate that in 100 years. Not that I wouldn't want to but I didn't think "regular" people had it (just celebrities). But I didn't think people who were "only" 100 pounds overweight had WLS.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

NYMom222
on 1/14/18 5:20 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Isn't it funny how in today's society 'only 100' doesn't seem too big?

I am also surprised by people who are worried about loose skin before lose as if it's a deciding factor.... I can understand not liking the idea, but the 'I'm not sure I want to not be fat that much'

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/14/18 5:26 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I think some people look for excuses not to do it (skin, hair, etc.)... It seems like the majority of people I know who could benefit from it are either afraid of the surgery or love food too much to contemplate eating less. I was so fed up with myself that once I found out I was eligible, I jumped at the chance.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Insert Fitness
on 1/14/18 5:01 am

RNYer here. Like you I spent so much time reading and preparing for surgery. I felt really well prepared for surgery. But there is a difference between knowing something and actually experiencing it. Surprises for me included:

-just how great it felt to actually start losing the weight. Like, every one on here talks about it, but when you actually experience it, it's quite shocking.

-constipation. Again everyone talks about it here, but I never realized how much attention it required, especially early days.

-that I might actually get to a normal weight. I started out with a BMI of 64. The idea I could get to a normal BMI range was wayyyy beyond anything I could consider. I'm not there yet, but I can actually see it happening.

-realizing how much time and mental energy went into living as SMO in the world. I almost cried the first time I realized I had my hand on the door of a restaurant and had no idea what the seating situation was inside. Pre op, I'd have done my recon, scoped out any new venue to see if I'd fit. But now, I'm free to wander in to any cafe, or restaurant I want.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Pat D.
on 1/14/18 11:28 am
VSG on 01/17/18

It amazes me how open and transparent people are willing to be on this forum! Thank you for sharing...it gives me great hope!

-Pat

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/14/18 3:35 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Things that surprised me, in no particular order:

• I was completely exhausted for MONTHS. I came home and took a long nap every day after work for at least 3 months. Where was all the energy you were supposed to have after losing weight?

• After losing about 40lb, I didn't recognize myself in the mirror at all, and it freaked me the F out. Body dysmorphia is a real thing, and it can seriously mess with your head.

• I came to actually enjoy exercise when I found I didn't suck at it. I took up cycling and actually looked forward to it!

• My eating habits and emotional relationship with food were seriously messed up, before surgery. I had some weird emotional things I definitely had to work through.

• Nobody shamed me for having WLS after explaining it. I told my coworkers, and they were super supportive!

• If/when you work on regain, you will seriously miss how quickly and easily the weight seemed to come off right after surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Nknerr
on 1/15/18 9:14 am
VBG on 12/07/17

I think I was most surprised by the fact that I had trouble keeping any amount of liquids down after surgery. Started bringing it back up immediately and lasted 3 days until i could keep down 4 oz an hour for three hours! Still nauseated, but not bringing it back up at that point.

No real issues with pain after the first day, except my muscles were sore, probably from them digging in there! However, I was tired for quite some time after surgery. Was about 2 weeks until I could actually go all day without a nap. Glad I didn't have to go back to wor****il after 3 weeks out for the surgery.

Another surprise was the bowel habit item. I'm more than 5 weeks post surgery and STILL CAN"T manage a bowel movement on my own! Really shocks me, as I had IBS for years!

Also surprised that I can't stand certain foods now! Eggs were my "go-to" for dinner prior to surgery and now they upset my stomach, but I understand that is quite normal.

Contadine
on 1/15/18 10:53 am
VSG on 11/17/17

I'm two months post-VSG. The surprises to me so far:

• How little liquid I was able to take in the first several weeks. Way below goal.
  • How quickly I grew disgusted by protein shakes. I took a ton to the food shelf.
  • How I still really crave my big "trigger" foods - donuts, cookies, pastry, cake, bread. (I've cheated and tried them and they don't taste good, and make me sick, and yet, I still have intense cravings.)
  • This one is hard - the depression/anxiety. I knew it was a possibility, and a common one, but I still wasn't prepared. I have a history of both, but thought, "how can I possibly feel bad after losing 50+ pounds?" But I do.

They're all manageable, and I'm learning lots of new skills, and am happy that I'm losing lots of weight. But there have been some bumps in the road.

VSG 11/17/17 | HW: 318.6 | SW: 295.6 | CW: 263.2 | Pre-Op: -23 | M1: -16.7 | M2: -14.1 | My Trend Weight

Lalagigi
on 1/16/18 10:34 am
VSG on 10/23/17
  1. No post-surgery pain, needed no pain relief, and went back to work 1-1/2 days after release from hospital.
  2. Constipation is a terrible thing, especially when NOTHING works to relieve it (MOM, Miralax, Dulcolax).
  3. No foods disagree with me. This is actually disappointing. I hoped (and was led to believe by others) that the slightest bite of potatoes or sweets would make me so sick, I would never touch them again. Not happening.
Most Active
Recent Topics