Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Sunday 1/7/18

Gwen M.
on 1/7/18 2:32 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I think that there's a difference between perfection and consistent poor choices. I can't help but feeling that the idea that you "need" certain foods for your "sanity" is a throwback to the type of thought patterns that you should be trying to escape from now for your longterm health. It's all too easy to justify poor choices, but doing so doesn't make them any better. This might be something worth working on in therapy - self-sabotage is no joke.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Shannon S.
on 1/7/18 2:43 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I understand. I'm pretty self aware, when I feel like I'm getting in my own way I'll definitely consider that as an option. Right now I'm happy with my weightloss and progress so far. There have been some things that I disagree with in regards to the extremely low carb diet that my nutritionist is pretty aware of. My personal goals are to get protein, vitamins, and to stay under a 1000 cals. People will disagree with that too. I'm sorry but I'm not trying to slowly starve and have all my hair fall out. So while some may be eating 500 cal at this stage, that is not going to be me. My ticker will keep on keepin on, and this weight will come off. Mark my word.

Acedding27
on 1/7/18 5:48 pm
VSG on 12/14/17

My surgeon/nutritionist (they work as a team) have between 600-800 kcals on my post-op sheet (with the note that this is only if I'm getting the 64 minimum oz. of water. I've met people who stay under 400-500 and I've met a few that are on a plan like mine.

My doctor said to stay under 1,000. He has a lot of bariatric patients that are very successful, but most of them were much smaller than me at the get-go (like a BMI of 40) so I stay under about 700, most days.

I know everyone's plans differ, I just try to follow mine and do the best I can with my own knowledge and that of my team. My recommended amounts are to get at least 65-75 grams of protein, less than 50 carbs. I typically don't go over 20-30 in carbs (unless I have half a banana and a latte in the same day) so I count that as successful. I do think Gwen makes some excellent points out of care, not out of any sort of "You should do this my way because it works" type of attitude. I have been working really hard on the "food as a reward, incentive, emotion-taker-away, etc." mindset. I feel some definite changes. As soon as I think, "You deserve this frozen yogurt." I decide I don't need it. Don't get me wrong. Food is more than fuel, as some people say. Food brings people together and is passed down through families. It's nice. It's also important to enjoy what you're eating and for it to be well-seasoned and taste good. At this point though, I need something to fit INTO my plan for it to be worth eating. I'm not lecturing, I swear. I'm not even 1 month post-op and I know more about archaic British Literature than nutrition. Right now, the inability to eat more than a few ounces really helps us, but maximizing our weight loss NOW is super important. When we hit maintenance, we will more than likely be able to eat more calories and have some of our favorite things every so often without ditching our nutritious eating habits!!

Anyway, I do think Gwen makes some excellent points out of concern and care, not out of any sort of "You should do this my way because it works" type of attitude. I feel like that's one thing OH is for....having other people to say, "Hey...are you okay? Are you working your stuff? Have you talked to your doctor? Will this help you meet your goals?"

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss and I'm so, so happy that everything is going so well!

Amanda 12/2016 HW: 393 11/2017 Consult: 378 12/2018 SW: 350

2/2018: 309 3/6/2018: Broke a barrier! 297 4/2018: 286 5/2018: 279

Pre-op: -28 M1: -25 M2: -16 M3: -12 M4: -11 M5: -7

Short-term Goal: 250 by August 15th!

Shannon S.
on 1/7/18 6:33 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Thanks for your response. I totally get it, but sometimes you just know what is good for you.

Gwen M.
on 1/7/18 5:58 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I actually think the "I need this for my sanity" mentality is much more concerning than the amount of calories you're taking in, or the quality of those calories. Especially so soon after surgery. I also think that if I had a dollar for every person who self-aware'd themselves into obesity (including myself!), I'd be wealthy. :)

But, you do you, and I wish you nothing but continued success. If I didn't wish you continued success, I wouldn't have commented in the first place!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Shannon S.
on 1/7/18 6:35 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I get it, and I appreciate your advice.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/7/18 6:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I will completely confess to being bewildered by many allegedly self-aware posters here on OH who swear up and down that they know better than their doctors, and know better than thousands of observations that make up medical research.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Acedding27
on 1/7/18 6:01 pm
VSG on 12/14/17

Good morning! Back to the grind tomorrow.

I had the opportunity to do some work at Ole Miss this Saturday, and I had such a great time! I was part of the panel that judged regional entries in the National Scholastic Writing Competition, and I was assigned a set of 9th-10th-grade stories. Some of them were REALLY original and promising. HOWEVER, I found myself stuck. I grabbed my protein drink as I ran out the door, but I forgot my lunch bag! I live about an hour and a half away, so this was an issue and I didn't realize until I got there. Luckily, the lunch was catered by Newk's. I was able to pick about 2-3 oz. of turkey and a small piece of cheddar off of one of the sandwiches, and I had a small square of melon. Score!

B: premier chocolate (didn't even miss my latte today!) I've ordered some CLICK!

L: Oikos Triple Zero Peach (My new favorite flavor)

D: 2 oz. of baked chicken, 1 oz. of steamed yellow squash

Snacks: babybel cheese, 1 tbsp of Peanut Butter on 2 whole wheat saltines

I prepped my lunch for the next three days. I made some turkey meatballs (they are about 1-1.25 oz. each, and I have 2 a day for the next few days, DW gets 5 for her lunch) and I put a 1/4 of babybel light mozzarella into each one. They look great! I added an egg white and only a tablespoon of panko bread crumbs (a minute amount of carbs in each one) along with Italian seasoning, cumin, chili powder, and fresh garlic and they stuck together quite well. I'm enjoying being able to make high-protein low-carb foods for us as opposed to ordering specialty-bariatric food and sticking to sliced nonfat/lowfat cheese and turkey breast.

Amanda 12/2016 HW: 393 11/2017 Consult: 378 12/2018 SW: 350

2/2018: 309 3/6/2018: Broke a barrier! 297 4/2018: 286 5/2018: 279

Pre-op: -28 M1: -25 M2: -16 M3: -12 M4: -11 M5: -7

Short-term Goal: 250 by August 15th!

Ladyblu
on 1/7/18 9:17 pm - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

Good choices for lunch!

We went to Mellow Mushroom (which is a pizza joint) for dinner the other night. I chose the meatball appetizer and the mushroom soup. Ate 1/4 cup of soup and 1 of the meatballs. It was super special to be able to go out (or get stuck somewhere), but make good choices for food out.

I also have become very creative in cooking and have found that I can make healthy good-for-you food with standard ingredients. For me, variety and creativity are essential. I used to fry everything and I used to cook very carb-centric. Now I have turned that creativity to a more protein forward, low carb, low fat direction. My family loves it. I do still make them potatoes, rice, bread or pasta on occasion, but I pair it with healthy delicious proteins and vegs and I pass on the carbs. Mom and DH have both lost a few excess pounds and I think all of us are heading toward a more healthy lifestyle.

Lalagigi
on 1/8/18 7:26 am
VSG on 10/23/17

QOTD: Scotland. I am in love with that place.

B: 1 piece of bacon, 1/2 scrambled egg and 1/3 avocado

Snack: chicken jerky

L: Leftover fajita chicken and veggies from previous dinner

Snack: chicken jerky

D: Thai chicken meatballs with coconut curry sauce over riced cauliflower - Delish!

E: Treadmill and weights at the Y.

Most Active
Recent Topics