Hello (+ seeking some advice/opinions)

SA79
on 1/9/18 11:17 pm

That really helps to hear! I doubt I'll ever have the problem of being too lean, haha, but who knows?

I'm slowly getting my head around this thing. It's still just really new, but I'm working through it.

I believe you, about the loose skin! Thanks for sharing that!

jenorama
on 1/8/18 9:49 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I hope your GERD can be resolved with weight loss. My BFF has to deal with it and it just seems like the most awful thing ever.

I too am a member of the big feet club! My toes and fingers are very long, but I don't feel like my overall frame is big. When I wrap my fingers around my wrist, my thumb covers my middle finger up to the first knuckle. I know my wrist is smaller than the standard 7-inch bracelet size, so I want to say that makes me a medium frame?

Hopefully while you're waiting to qualify for your surgery you'll be able to lose a bit and see some resolution on your GERD. If you get a lessening of symptoms, then you may be able to make a more informed surgery decision.

Good luck to you!

Jen

SA79
on 1/8/18 1:24 pm

Thanks!! :)

SA79
on 1/9/18 11:19 pm

I think it depends on why you have it in the first place, and mine didn't kick in until I became significantly overweight, so I sort of assume it's because of that??

My overall frame is definitely big. I should have gone into pro rugby or something, lol. If I was carrying no extra fat whatsoever, I'm pretty sure I'd still be a solid size 10-12 just because of my frame. I guess time will tell, though! I have man hands and my fingers don't meet around my wrists. :P

Thanks for your wishes!

Erin T.
on 1/8/18 10:50 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I forgot to mention, that if you 'friend' me on here I have pictures of my skin on my profile. I've lost 155lbs or so. So it gives you an idea, of what I personally am seeing.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Shannon S.
on 1/3/18 4:41 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I shared many of your thoughts and feelings before surgery. I never felt horribly unattractive, but I started to have chronic pain. I had a failed lap band 11ish years ago due to complications, and just never wanted to bring myself to weightloss surgery again. However a new husband, and a happy life made me want to feel whole (and not in pain). My highest was 376 in December 2016. I took 2 years plus with nutrition because I was still straddling the fence. I actually gained weight during nutrition (initially). Then (the game changer), I had to have another emergency surgery due to a severely herniated disc, which lead to caude equina syndrome (very serious). That was the final straw for me.

Unfortunately your mindset has to be there. Nobody can tell you it's the right time for you. The only thing I can say is that eventually your body will start to deteriorate with that much weight on you. I think if your not ready to jump in, but want to explore, it is still okay to start the process. Go through the motions, and attempt to lose weight on your own while simultaneously recieving the required nutrition.

I actually feel healthier. I take a slew of vitamins. I drink an organic greens shake everyday, I get my protein in, and I drink a ton of water. I did some of this before, but my diet was not controlled.

I have been complication free so far, and feel ecstatic with my weightloss. I feel more attractive now, I'm excited to buy clothes, and I've lost more weight than I have in awhile in a short period. Very happy with my decision.

As far as the skin, I think everyone worries to some degree. Depending on your body type, age, and the health of your skin you may have better results than some. I have been obese since I was a toddler so I'm expecting the worst, and hoping for the best. Your health should be a priority over your skin. After all, health goes downhill, and skin is just well, skin. Some insurances do pay for some procedures, not many, but it is possible.

Wishing you the best in your decision making process.

SA79
on 1/7/18 11:44 pm

Thanks for your response! Wow, that's a scary-sounding journey! I'm glad you've gotten to such a better place! I agree, health is much more important than skin, and someone else pointed out that I could get the saggy skin from losing weight strictly by dieting, too, so... sigh. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your experience - I appreciate it!

Donna L.
on 1/3/18 6:18 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Some people anecdotally report having far less extra skin post weight loss (surgery or not) when they fast, because fasting can increase autophagy, and autophagy reduces excess cells more rapidly. Of course, there is no way to test this well or at all. Some people will lose massive weight and have basically no extra skin, and others will lose five pounds and need a tummy tuck. There's no way to predict which you will be, whether you have surgery or lose it via diet and exercise.

As for myself, I lost a great deal of weight on a ketogenic diet. Several hundred pounds, actually, and I put off surgery for many years as a result. I wound up getting it after perpetually stalling with my BMI at 78 or so. I have no idea what my BMI was at 750+...I just know it wasn't great, heh. My greatest regret about surgery is that I did it at 38 instead of 28.

I have never regretted surgery itself even though I must revise to an RNY because I developed GERD. I have a ton of lose skin and don't care, but that's also highly individual. I did care for a while, and I'll have even more after the revision, however it's preferable to being super morbidly obese. I stalled for far too long without getting surgery. Having said that, I also was very well-prepared mentally.

It sounds as if you have a fabulous self-image and self-perception. Think about why you want surgery - it is a very individual choice, and no one can make it for you. I'd encourage you to write lists of pros and cons. What are your goals? What do you want to accomplish that you might not now due to the weight? Where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 15, or 20+ years?

One option to it being Canada is that you can start the process and always *not* get surgery if you decide to later. You might get additional support that way and find another method, too.

As someone who has done research, I view surgery as I view antibiotics or vaccinations. They may not be "natural," however they all greatly improve and augment modern life versus when those things did not exist. Many natural things are also deadly - atropine, for instance, or cyanide, or bears, or American politics. All are natural and equally dangerous. In a way, surgery is no less natural than us going to a gym or researching biochemistry and using a keto diet. All of those are man-made, really.

Surgery has metabolic benefits that even ketogenic diets and fasting do not which are permanent. The flip side is that major surgery is drastic - however becoming obese is also drastic, too.

Pick the tool that works best for you, whether it's surgery or something else. Explore who you are and what your needs are, because ultimately that will help you find the correct tool for the job.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

SA79
on 1/7/18 11:51 pm

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it! Your thoughts are resonating with me... I'm 38 now and never really gave this much thought, honestly. It looks like it will take a really long time before I can even get the surgery, though, so I might as well start in! I'm moving back to my home city in July, and want to have the surgery there. At the hospital that does it for free (covered by the health care system), your BMI has to be between 40-55, so I'll need to get my weight down significantly on my own first, and I have six months to do what I can before I can even apply to the program anyway, so that's okay. I'm going to try the Mayo Clinic's diet and see how that goes.

You're so right - surgery is drastic, but obesity is drastic, too. I guess I was just cruising along without giving this much thought at all until this sudden wake-up call from my doctor. It's a lot to take on board, but I'm doing the work now!

Thanks again for your response. :)

feels_so_good
on 1/3/18 8:35 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

Welcome and best wishes which every direction your journey takes you.

I'll add my thoughts and experience about the 'permanence' part of the surgery.

My only tinge of this fear came from hearing others express it pre-op. Doing my diligent research, I found if this occurred it seemed temporary, due in part to all those stories of people regaining weight.

One of the reason's I chose VSG is it leaves the bottom of your stomach and digestive system completely intact. This seemed to provide fewer instances of issues with food tolerance including sugar and dairy.

Right or wrong, I went into the surgery looking for a re-boot and wanting to eat and enjoy food just like before. The only difference is I wanted assistance at eating a piece or two of pizza vs one or two large pizzas.

I have found nothing that I can't eat and miss nothing. If anything I get that somewhat satisfying feeling of thanksgiving full much easier.

On the downside, I've found slider foods, how to slide food with water, and discovered the ease of drinking calories. I am still working on the mental journey (and physical connection) to food. By that I mean why do I want a bag of potato chips vs a carrot. Surgery did not fix, nor was it promised to fix my cooking style or preference for a bacon cheeseburger vs a plain chicken breast. I recommend and admire those with the will power to choose chicken and broccoli.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Most Active
Recent Topics