My Insurance Case Manager has just managed to freak me out!!

crystalcandoit
on 12/22/17 9:19 am
RNY on 02/06/18

My insurance case manager called me today to let me know that I was officially approved for the surgery insurance wise. I am standing in the line to check out after doing some Christmas shopping, but I answered the phone because I have been waiting for this call. So she tells me that I am approved and says I am going to schedule in the system to call you again around the end of January, because I don't want to call you when you are in agonizing pain. WHAT THE HELL??? Is this really what you say to patients?? I am nurse, so I immediately said to her..."I am sure that you did not mean to tell me that I am going to be in agonizing pain.. You meant to say that you wanted to give me time to recover and get back on my feet before you called me right? Because while you know that I am going to recover beautifully, you also know that I am going to need lots of rest and time to re-adjust after the surgery right??? "

She immediately apologized but now that agonizing pain statement is in my head. I am prepared for some pain, it is surgery after all. I have read the forums I am prepared for the gas pain. I have had laproscopic surgery before I know the discomfort that comes from the air being used to expand the abdomen to provide space for the instruments. But I have not prepared for agonizing pain...I have been through child birth on Pitocin with no epidural..that was very painful, but it was not agonizing!! Am I deluding myself?

mcleank91
on 12/22/17 9:29 am
VSG on 12/15/17

While she did not handle this appropriately, you do need to be prepared for pain. I am 1 week out today and am just starting to feel better. I had quite severe incisional pain on one side but the gas pain is no joke. I was in such pain post op when the Dr came in to check my sites she could not get me adjusted to get to them and had to increase my pain medication and come back. The things they didn't tell me about was the pain when you breathe in deep, try to cough or blow your nose. I'm a nurse as well and I wish they had been more serious about the pain post op because I feel I wasn't prepared for it. It's manageable with meds but this is major surgery, it's no walk in the park.

Mirandia
on 12/22/17 9:41 am
VSG on 03/14/17

While I can't speak for everyone ... my pain level after surgery was right around the menstrual cramps mark. Yes, it was painful ... but hardly "agonizing"

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Acedding27
on 12/22/17 10:13 am
VSG on 12/14/17

Well, she handled that poorly, but you will be in pain. That's just being realistic.

My friend Heather was fine enough to drive two days post op and lives by herself. She said it wasn't nearly as bad as her daughter being born and was back at work the next week. She didn't take any narcotic pain meds after day two.

I woke up crying from the awful gas pain, and breathing deeply in and out was about a 5-6 pain (out of 10) for the first few days. My wife had to help me out of bed and off the toilet for the first two days. I took NORCO two or three times a day until Day 4. I'm on day 8 now, and in no pain at all! ? I know it was worth it.

So. Everyone is different. It is abdominal surgery and there will be pain....but you'll get through it. Just remember to take deep breaths and walk and the gas pains won't be as bad. :-)

Cathy H.
on 12/22/17 10:27 am, edited 12/22/17 2:31 am
VSG on 10/31/16

If you've have laparoscopic surgery before, then you will do fine. Of course, everyone is different, but I'd hardly call the pain anywhere near "agonizing." (Frankly, I think your case manager is an idiot...JMHO.) I was out of bed and sitting in a chair the morning after surgery, walking the unit, and begging them to let me go home (2 hour drive)! I felt pretty good (with pain meds, of course). I also took Norco after surgery, but only for the first few days. After a week I could have gone back to work but waited until 2 weeks anyway.

The air bubble sucks, as always, and the main incision is pretty painful for a while, but overall, it's not that bad. I live alone and didn't need anyone to stay with me. Like any abdominal surgery, getting up and down was the hardest for the first several days. I only spent the first night in a recliner, and didn't sleep worth a darn. I'm a side sleeper, so I got into the bed the second night and used a pillow to support my belly, and slept just fine. Just be careful how you maneuver to get out of bed.

After previous surgery and childbirth, you got this, no problem!! :)

P.S. I was also almost 57 when I had surgery! If you're younger, you'll probably do even better.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Gwen M.
on 12/22/17 11:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats!

Wow, she sounds totally overdramatic. WTF was she thinking? I hope she doesn't say this to every client she talks with!

You are definitely not deluding yourself. It sounds like you're well prepared, mentally, for the level of pain you will have.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CC C.
on 12/22/17 12:38 pm

My pain was so minimal I didn't even need Tylenol when I got home. Ignore her!

hollykim
on 12/22/17 1:47 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 22, 2017 at 5:19 PM Pacific Time, crystalcandoit wrote:

My insurance case manager called me today to let me know that I was officially approved for the surgery insurance wise. I am standing in the line to check out after doing some Christmas shopping, but I answered the phone because I have been waiting for this call. So she tells me that I am approved and says I am going to schedule in the system to call you again around the end of January, because I don't want to call you when you are in agonizing pain. WHAT THE HELL??? Is this really what you say to patients?? I am nurse, so I immediately said to her..."I am sure that you did not mean to tell me that I am going to be in agonizing pain.. You meant to say that you wanted to give me time to recover and get back on my feet before you called me right? Because while you know that I am going to recover beautifully, you also know that I am going to need lots of rest and time to re-adjust after the surgery right??? "

She immediately apologized but now that agonizing pain statement is in my head. I am prepared for some pain, it is surgery after all. I have read the forums I am prepared for the gas pain. I have had laproscopic surgery before I know the discomfort that comes from the air being used to expand the abdomen to provide space for the instruments. But I have not prepared for agonizing pain...I have been through child birth on Pitocin with no epidural..that was very painful, but it was not agonizing!! Am I deluding myself?

my pain was any worse than with any other laparoscopic surgery. If you have experienced lap surgery,you should be fine.

Deannalan
on 12/22/17 3:58 pm
VSG on 10/25/17

Oh my! Oh my! What a way to freak you out! I had literally no pain. A little discomfort, didn't use any meds or Tylenol. No nausea. It's been smooth sailing. And I'm wishing the same for you! Don't listen to her just get ready for a new life!

Ladyblu
on 12/22/17 4:04 pm - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

Everyone is different, but here was my experience. I had no gas pain. I was able to drink broth, water and juice the same day (per surgeons instructions). I was up and moving within 24 hours after the surgery (and I was over 450 pounds the day of surgery). I went home and slept in a recliner because my usual bed is a waterbed, but was back to work in a week.

I've been in and out of the hospital with cellulitis and sepsis. That is/was agonizing. This was a walk in the park compared to that.

Your case manager is an idiot. Prepare yourself for pain and give yourself time off from work to recover, but you may find that you come through with little to no problems.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

Most Active
Recent Topics