QUestions.

Ladyblu
on 12/20/17 7:14 pm - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

1. Can I use straws?!

I use a straw. It was especially easy for me in the beginning as I was sucking in too much air without one. For some people straws introduce more air. For me it is the opposite. Do what works for you.

2. Em I ever going to be able to drink more than a zip of water?!

Yes, as you get further out, you will be able to take in more liquid in a shorter amount of time. This is why it is important to stay away from high cal, high sugar drinks. It gets too easy to consume lots in a short period. I am almost 3 months out and can down 12 oz in about 10 minutes. If I drink too fast, it is uncomfortable for a few minutes.

3. I was told by my provider that I could eat and drink at the same times.

As everyone above has stated, it makes food flow through your sleeve much faster. One of the reasons we had the surgery was for the restriction. Eating and drinking at the same time circumvents the restriction (and can be quite uncomfortable). I wait 30 minutes before resuming drinking (I usually set a timer for myself).

4. Sugar free drinks and crystal light, my provider said absolutely Not Ever! My only drink should ever be water. No protein drinks as well.

I was told to eliminate carbonation, but sugar free and Crystal light on my program were actually recommended. My surgeon says to do what I have to as long as I get in the amount of fluid necessary without added calories. And protein shakes are the same. Get in the protein (in the form of whey protein isolate) I actually am adding back protein shakes to reduce the fat and calories I was consuming trying to get my protein in through regular foods. I'm adding Premier Protein (PP) vanilla to my coffee rather than half and half and drinking PP flavored shakes as snacks. I'm flavoring my water with the PP clear shakes. I will taper off in time, but will probably keep a supply to use when my protein is low for the day.

I would ask your surgeon for an explanation for why these specific rules are in place. See if the answers make sense to you.

I have been in and out of hospitals for the last 5 years and have discovered that we are the best proponents for our care. If something doesn't make sense, I ask why. And if the Dr. blows me off I go above his/her head and get a second opinion. An example was one of my attending physicians when I was admitted for sepsis took me off ALL my blood pressure medications. I have chronic kidney disease that resulted from kidney failure during an illness that happened years ago. So, although the level of CKD is low and I don't need dialysis, the BP medications were a complex mix of six medications that took 6 months to perfect. His answer to me when I asked why was "That is just too many medications... you should only be on one at a time." What? I went above his head and asked for a nephrologist and cardiologist consult. They put me right back on my meds. Had I just listened to the doctor that didn't want to deal with my complicated issues, I could have had serious and potentially fatal consequences. My family may have been able to sue, but all the money in the world would not have brought me back from the dead.

So, in short, understand what is being done or understand what you are told to do and why.

Diane

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

Most Active
Recent Topics