Weight loss at four(ish) years out

Gwen M.
on 12/12/17 2:29 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You're welcome. I think the most important thing is to keep in mind that LIFE isn't filled with rainbows and butterflies and, even post-op, life continues to be life. There are definitely lots of rainbows and butterflies in my life - but there's a lot of not so pleasant stuff too. It's definitely easier to stay on track during the rainbow times.

In retrospect, I know I had BED pre-op, but I had never heard of BED pre-op so didn't know that it existed. I NEVER would have talked to a medical provider about it due to the shame and guilt that often go along with BED. So.. yeah.

As I said to a poster above, "I ran across BED in a number of my textbooks which inspired me to do more research. The DSM criteria are listed on wiki and I met them all." So learning that BED was a thing that existed caused me to look into more. And, honestly, I think the only reason I talked to a medical provider after putting two and two together was because I knew there was a fix action that I was willing to try - Vyvanse. If there wasn't a fix action, or the fix action was something that I wasn't willing to try, I probably would have just kept trying to muddle my way through because that was a really, really hard thing to address with my doctor.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 12/12/17 1:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Gwen, thank you for sharing your story. You've always inspired me to do my best, and I have always looked up to you so much.

I don't doubt that you will keep kicking butt for many years to come!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/17 9:36 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Gwen, Thanks for all your input to this board. It truly helps. This post is very timely for me personally. I will be at 1 year at the end of the month. I"ll be down 75 lbs but I'm not at goal. It's good motivation to hear again that this will keep working. I was feeling like I was about to hit an 'expiration date' with my sleeve. I see people in my support groups who've gained back significant weight and I don't want to end up in that group.

Most Active
Recent Topics