Discharged post op today

RNYloser
on 12/8/17 12:51 pm
VSG on 12/06/17

Hi. Vsg Wednesday, Discharged today from hospital. Too sick, don't feel good to sit here and search forums for answers. Anyone who would like to input please do. I'm having trouble getting my fluids in. I feel almost like hunger pangs, extremely painful hunger pangs. Is it hunger from not getting enough fluids or is it cause I'm trying force fluids? I have a shot glass with bullion I'm trying to finish every half hour. I'm not really succeeding but I am getting some down.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/8/17 12:58 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Stomach grumbles are totally normal. It could be the liquid issue, or it could be acid. Does your doc have you starting on a PPI?

A few things that helped me:

• Take the tiniest sips you possibly can. Visualize a volume of liquid the same size as a pencil eraser, and see if you can sip that much each time.

• Try different temperatures-- cold water, room-temperature, or warmed up. Some people can't do ice water, but have better luck with warm tea.

• If the bouillon doesn't work, try other flavors. Tea, Crystal Light, SF lemonade, or water with added lemon or cucumber slices might agree with your stomach better.

• Do you have any SF popsicles? I used those to get some of my liquid allowance in, and it was much easier for the first day than trying to actually drink.

You can do this!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

RNYloser
on 12/8/17 1:12 pm
VSG on 12/06/17

Thank you. They gave me iv regular and zofran I think it was called every 6 hours til discharge. I'm normally on prilosec daily but I'm not sure if he wanted me to start that again I guess I'll have to call for that. I tried sf popsicle but the cold hurt. I also had a hernia they had to repair while they were in there I was told. Does that make a difference too?

on 12/8/17 1:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yeah, Zofran is common-- it helps with the nausea.

If they fixed a hernia, then yeah, that may be why you're more sore. More things being pulled around inside your abdomen, more stitches, more poking and prodding.

Definitely call and ask about the prilosec. Acid problems can mimic hunger feelings and hunger pains, and it's very common for patients to be on one sort of acid controller or another for a while after surgery.

I had trouble with cold drinks, too. I did room-temperature water and lukewarm tea. It's all about trial and error at first, unfortunately. Trying to get your liquids in when you feel like crap is no fun, but dehydration can cause serious problems and it's really important.

Are you still on any pain meds?

I believe in you! You can do it!

RNYloser
on 12/8/17 1:13 pm
VSG on 12/06/17

It's so bad I wish someone would have talked me out of it. :'(

on 12/8/17 1:18 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Hang in there! I had an absolutely miserable recovery, too-- opiate pain meds don't do squat for me so recovery was an absolute beast. I was exhausted, I hurt, I couldn't swallow anything. It was miserable.

The first few days (or weeks) will suck. There's no way around it. But the good news is that it is SO SO SO worth it! As you lose weight, your health improves, and you can do so many more things than you used to, it's absolutely worth all the discomfort and frustration.

But! I survived, and I'm so much healthier now! I got off my blood pressure meds and my CPAP. I had a healthy pregnancy and I have the energy to chase my 2-year-old all over the place. I've done a triathlon and a 150-mile bike tour. Life is good.

You can do this!!

RNYloser
on 12/8/17 1:33 pm
VSG on 12/06/17

The pain medication made me deathly ill, something happened and I didn't fully wake up for 12 hours after the surgery. I woke up in the icu and haven't had pain meds since. It's terrible. Everything is fine now that's why they let me come home but I can't take any more pain pills. I'm so glad that you are doing well, it gives me stuff to look forward to

Gwen M.
on 12/8/17 6:29 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Ditto everything Julie said. It WILL get better.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

RNYloser
on 12/9/17 10:06 am, edited 12/9/17 2:09 am
VSG on 12/06/17

Thank you sparkle kitty, feeling a little better today. I got more fluids in as well and took a slow walk around the block. Thank you for yesterday

Shannon S.
on 12/9/17 11:28 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I used medicine cups and set my timer on my phone for every 5-10 mins which was recommended by my nutritionist in order to get my fluids in. This is by far the most important for you to focus on. I also had hunger pains, some say it was from stomach acid. I say I'm one of the weird ones that still have hunger. Not sure why you are having them, but this rough patch will pass. Feel better soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics