start to finish

cathleenjauch
on 11/29/17 8:27 am

Can someone tell me how this works as far as time, from the first consult to surgery day?

I have geisinger family and I was looking to have the sleeve done in Danville.

Thanks

cathleen

CC C.
on 11/29/17 9:34 am

It's really dependent on your insurance requirements. Give them a call and ask what they require. A 3 or 6 month supervised diet? No supervised diet? Psychological evaluation? Classes? Nutritionist visits? Everyone is different.

Mine was fast. I met with my surgeon, got insurance approval, had my psych eval and had surgery 10 weeks later.

Acedding27
on 11/29/17 9:39 am
VSG on 12/14/17

Honestly, it's been different for everyone that I have talked too.

My insurance is Blue Cross Blue Shield of MS. I went to the weight and bariatric clinic in Oxford, MS. It's about an hour and a half away, but the people at the Memphis one were very rude and I felt weird while I was there.

They gave me a checklist of tasks to complete. They also instructed me to have all my doctors and nurses send my paperwork to them. After I had completed all these tasks (6 months of weight checks, so it was 7 months before I was done) they submitted everything to my insurance company. I was approved 6 days later and the surgery is scheduled. I didn't actually get a consult until after my 6 months. The whole process took 7 months.

I have two friends who were denied twice in the same year (even though both had BMIs over 40...mine is 60) so they went to Mexico and paid cash for theirs. They had a different insurance company (I'm assuming that's what Geisinger is) They both are doing quite well, now. It was $3,800 ea*****luding the flight and meds.

Shannon S.
on 11/29/17 9:57 am
VSG on 11/07/17

My insurance requires 6 mos supervised nutrition before you even get to meet the surgeon. Then about another 6 to 8 weeks to get scheduled. Some insurances require weightloss during this period, so you would also have to meet the criteria of your insurance.

Gwen M.
on 11/29/17 10:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It totally depends on your insurance and requirements.

I met with my PCP in September 2013, then the surgeon in December 2013. I was initially scheduled for February 2014 but the endoscopy found an ulcer, so I ended up having surgery in March 2014.

As time frames go, mine was pretty quick!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Knitter215
on 11/29/17 10:19 am
VSG on 08/23/16

It also depends on your group, in addition to your insurance. I had mine done in Philly at Pennsylvania Hospital. While my insurance had no waiting or dieting period, the U of P system requires at least three months of visits with a registered dietitian, three visits with the nurse practitioner for the surgical team, a pscyh eval and pre op stuff (blood, chest x-ray, pulmonary clearance, cardiac clearance, barium swallow or endoscopy). Also, you have to attend an "intro" session before you can book an appointment with a surgeon. You must attend at least one support group meeting and then there is the pre-op/post-op diet meeting about 2 weeks prior to your surgery.

My first visit was May 11, 2016. My surgery was August 23, 2016.

Call your carrier to check their requirements and then call Geisinger to find out what they need/want.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

xoxsarahxo2
on 11/29/17 7:01 pm
VSG on 10/19/17

I had my sleeve in Danville, I also have GHP! They require you to go through a 6 month program and get multiple tests done (blood work, upper endoscopy, psych eval). All said and done I believe my surgery was 8 months after I first started going to the appointments and meetings. Good luck!!

Notaboutperfect
on 11/30/17 9:16 am
VSG on 11/08/16

I was self pay. If I had known I wouldn't have insurance cover, I could have chosen to have it done in a very short amount of time (probably within a month).

I had six months between deciding to pursue surgery and my procedure. I followed the protocol for my insurance--3 mos supervised weight loss, psych eval, introductory class, 3 support meetings, dietician visits and then found out that I wouldn't be covered because I didn't have any comorbidities. (I really thought I had sleep apnea).

I'm thankful for the insurance company slow-down-and-learn process prior to my surgery. I wanted it immediately, but I needed the education.

Best to you

Most Active
Recent Topics