Liquid ranitidine?

Liraa
on 11/21/17 6:28 am
VSG on 11/07/17

My surgeon is having me take 10 ML of this rancid liquid twice a day for a month. Anyone doing anything differently? I haven't taken it in two days because it makes me vomit. I see my doctor tomorrow so i am definitely going to bring this up but i was just curious about what you all might be doing.

I am new to the site and the forums. :)

Keith L.
on 11/21/17 8:13 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I've not heard of that, but after looking it up, its to reduce stomach acid and reduce the risk of developing ulcers. Probably a good idea. Many of us took acid reducers post op.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

califsleevin
on 11/21/17 10:28 am, edited 11/21/17 2:39 am - CA

I just used the pills (it's generic Zantac) as they aren't very big. Some docs are slow for their patients to take whole pills, likely a holdover from old RNY practice where there was a fear of them getting stuck in the stoma.) Some docs have their patients crush their pills for the same reason as using liquid forms, but most docs just have their patients take their pills whole, unless they are particularly large, like calcium tablets

If your doc insists on the vile stuff, perhaps you can blend it in with something less vile like your protein drink or juice. My wife takes liquid potassium, as the tablet form doesn't work well with her DS, and she blend it in to her fruit smoothie along with protein and some other supplements - turns something vile into something tasty and nutritious.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Shannon S.
on 11/21/17 5:20 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm taking liquid pantoprazole. Different drug, used for the same purpose. I told my doc it tastes like dirty fish water. It is absolutely putrid. It's important though because a complication of this surgery is GERD, which in some instances has lead to the rather serious complication of aspiration.

Liraa
on 11/21/17 5:23 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Thank you all for the replies. Ill definitely have to check with doc tomorrow!

Most Active
Recent Topics