Does VSG just not work for some people?

hollykim
on 11/21/17 8:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 21, 2017 at 2:06 AM Pacific Time, mershmellow wrote:

I definitely understand being attracted to bigger people, but I couldn't find myself wanting someone to suffer. I know how much I suffered at 485 lbs. I didn't have a life at all.

some people , esp some men, are mind boggling selfish. They want what they want, doesn't matter if the woman is suffering.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/20/17 5:31 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I think anyone can pick the wrong surgery, any surgery.

Some people pick the VSG because they were afraid of the rny or the ds, when in fact those surgeries might have been just what they needed. At the same time people can pick those surgeries but can't keep up with the aftercare. So they fail at those surgeries.

Anyone can fail at any surgery. It could be medical complications, lack of knowledge, lousy aftercare, inability/unwillingness to change their lifestyle, reverting back to old habits, lack of therapy, they give up. The list can go on & on.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 11/20/17 5:33 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

There are certainly people who expect VSG to work for them, not realizing that they're the ones needing to do the work and just expecting the surgery to do it for them.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/17 6:07 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

You are right, it is so much more than surgery. I am so thankful for this tool, but my head is constantly at war. Thank God for therapy.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/20/17 7:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Some of the DS advocates here would say that some people can only be successful with that particular surgery. I'm inclined to disagree, but it's one perspective you'll see on the boards.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/17 9:24 am
VSG on 01/12/17

When I chose to go for surgery VSG was the only one I wanted. I didn't even look into DS or RNY. I'm not sure why I didn't research the others, vsg was just the one I wanted

Donna L.
on 11/24/17 4:54 pm, edited 11/24/17 8:54 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The problem is that in some ways we don't get a chance to study super super obesity, which I do think benefits more from an RNY or DS down the road...though barely, likely. I was not overeating even by WLS standards, but I was overeating for my body's setpoint, which is apparently really freaking low. It's easy to blame surgery and metabolism, and much harder to blame habit.

It'd be interesting to see more controlled studies between more accurate data points. For example, 600 lb DS patients vs. 600 lb RNY patients who all have diabetes (or not).

Also, they do a crap job, IMO, of treating behavioral health issues pre-op across the board. Of course I am biased given my profession and own mental health issues! However, if I wasn't wrapping up grad school when I had surgery and being trained in it myself, frankly I'd never have lost any weight.

I have seen VSG peeps lose 400+ with just that surgery and DS peeps what have gained 75 pounds or more. The greatest organ that influences weight loss is the brain, and either because of stigma or limited financial resources or the structure medicine has built around WLS, we ignore it for the most part, sadly. Again, totes biased psychology person here >.>

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

NYMom222
on 11/20/17 9:40 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You can eat around any surgery. I know someone who had RNY lost the weight, kept it off and then regained. Why? She discovered she could drink milkshakes.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/17 9:27 am
VSG on 01/12/17

To me no milk shake is worth the risk of sabotaging myself. I know how easy I am with some things and know what is and isn't a trigger. Milkshakes are a trigger. And those Dairy Queen blizzards no no no.

Keith L.
on 11/21/17 8:48 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Of the people I have talked to that have had a similar experience it is almost always that they return to a normal way of eating, i.e. sandwiches (even if it is only a half of a sandwich) or they start drinking heavily. There are very easy ways even with the sleeve to consume 3000-4000 calories per day and if you are only burning 1200-2000 calories a day (i.e. you do not do anything) and you do not have the benefit of ketosis any longer, you will likely stop losing and eventually gain.

To this day I cannot eat very much but I have put back on 40 of the almost 200 lbs I lost. I started getting over confident and drinking and partying a lot thinking I could always easily take it back off. Its not that it didn't work, she likely stopped following her plan.

That being said there are certainly people whose metabolism is extremely slow and even ketosis doesn't start working. There also needs to be some sort of exercise involved. Its not a pick and chose program and requires almost obsessive dedication and focus.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Recent Topics