Does VSG just not work for some people?

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/17 3:04 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I saw a nurse practitioner today who did my health screening for my new job. We got on the topic of weight loss and I told her I had VSG and have lost over 200 lbs. She said she couldn't believe it, that she only lost 50 lbs and it just stopped working (she was a larger lady still). I was confused, because I can't see how she could ONLY lose 50 lbs at her size if she followed the rules. Are there people vsg just doesn't medically work on, or is it all a matter of not changing your life?

theAntiChick
on 11/20/17 3:24 pm, edited 11/20/17 7:25 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

There is probably a medical case or three somewhere that has a patient who cannot lose weight regardless of intake.

For the other 99.9999999% of the population, it's a case of they aren't modifying their diet enough. Many times they THINK they are, but if they are put under laboratory conditions and their food measured exactly, they will lose weight once their caloric intake is less than their output.

I have known a bunch of people who have had WLS (various types). Several (who had lap-band but I think the observation applies to any WLS) started right back up eating stuff that is counter productive to weight loss, almost immediately. One couple I knew was doing it deliberately. They would flat out state that they were addicted to food, they loved their food, and they were going to find ways to eat the quantities they wanted regardless. They ate cream based soups because it would go right past the band. They drank sugared sodas. The list of what they ate goes on and on, and they refused counseling but were upset that the surgery didn't magically fix them.

That couple is the extreme, I know. But I can list many other people who did the same thing but less consciously. Going back to sugared sodas, sugar-laden pasteries, lots of white bread and pastas, etc. They also start lengthening their meal times because if you sit at the table long enough the pouch/sleeve will start emptying and more food can go in. Grazing throughout the day, etc.

I know that at a year and a few months out, I am not eating as well as I should. But therapy has helped me see a lot of the emotional and binge eating habits I was doing and correct those. So even though I'm not eating all of the right foods, I'm still only eating for 15-20 min at a time, not grazing all day... and I'm able to maintain like that. I can't LOSE like that, but I can maintain. If I'd started this back in the early months, I wouldn't have lost anywhere near as much as I have.

Whatever WLS surgery you have, there are ways to sabotage it. Intentionally, consciously, unconsciously... it's just a tool. If you have control issues with food, it's a good idea to get counseling too. Otherwise life hits the fan and we go back to our old patterns.

Just my spare change, FWIW.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

catwoman7
on 11/21/17 5:53 am, edited 11/20/17 9:53 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I know this happens (re: what you said about some of the people you know), and it infuriates me because some insurance companies are no longer covering bariatric surgery. I have to think part of the reason is because of the failure rate. We all know that it's these types of people you mentioned who are failing the surgery - not that the surgery is failing. But when insurance companies stop covering it as a result, it screws over everybody....even those of us who follow the rules and are successful with it. I'm glad I had mine done when I did (my employer's insurance will no longer cover it after this year), but I feel really badly for people who need it and will be compliant (and successful with it as a result) but can't get it because of these bozos. :-(

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/17 3:29 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

VSG is a tool. It is one of several. The BIGGEST tool is our own mind. If someone says their surgery, VSG or otherwise, didn't work, what they REALLY mean is they didn't change their mindset. Period.

Shannon S.
on 11/20/17 3:57 pm, edited 11/20/17 7:57 am
VSG on 11/07/17

That?s unfortunate! My VSG is brand new so I haven?t experienced much in the way of solid food, but I have done a lot of research on the VSG before getting it. My findings conclude that one of the downfalls of this surgery is that you can graze your way to absolute failure. While you have restriction with dense proteins and some other foods, others slide right down. If you?re willing to sacrifice your results by grazing and eating the wrong stuff, I guess weight gain or lack of weighloss is the result. Scares me to death!

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/17 6:08 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Oh yes, I've learned that chippy items and popcorny items, just keep them away. I will eat and eat mindlessly. Even when I portion them out, I don't like that feeling of mindless eating. When I'm eating, I should be thinking a little about the meal at least, not just shoving it in my mouth while watching cartoons on netflix!

Shannon S.
on 11/20/17 7:37 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Agreed! Your weightloss is awesome by the way! Very inspiring!

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/17 9:22 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Thank you! I think it has finally slowed down, but my amazing tool is still helping me every day. If only I could get a bag for my brain, then I would be unstoppable

NoraM13
on 11/20/17 4:07 pm
VSG on 08/21/17

Its all behavioral. I have a coworker who had it done. She lost 45 lb, and then met a man who likes larger women. She stopped losing. It's a shame because she has a lot of mobility issues that would probably go away (or at least improve) if she got her weight down.

5'2" VSG: 8/21/17 HW: 261 SW:243 CW: 193

Pre-Op: 15 M1: 19.8 M2: 10.5 M3: 13.7

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/17 6:06 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I definitely understand being attracted to bigger people, but I couldn't find myself wanting someone to suffer. I know how much I suffered at 485 lbs. I didn't have a life at all.

Most Active
Recent Topics