Counting proteins

Donna L.
on 11/20/17 4:13 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I also count only solid meat or plant protein towards my goals. The exception is that I often need to supplement with protein powder which I do count, as well. Soup, nuts, etc, I do not count at all, usually, since they are not as protein-forward per calorie.

The main reason I do this is to avoid overeating. I do not trust myself with some of the more hybrid protein foods. Of course, everyone needs to find what works for them.

Typically, the standard bariatric diet (here anyway) I'm familiar with is like 120g of carbs maximum, and 60-120g of protein depending on your surgery, the rest fat. Solid and dense protein such as meat, tofu, fish, etc, should be consumed first. All other food should be eaten only after we finish our protein.

Of course, every nutritionist is different. I have Celiac and eat very low carb, so typically I'm at 20-50g/day max...there's room for variation, though.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics