Holidays and VSG

diane S.
on 11/16/17 10:28 am

Hey, we all have to cope with holiday food excess. There is no reason to miss out on the fun of gathering with family and cooking together. You just need to find a health friendly way to do it. Have others do the heavy duty stuff like stuffing and gravy. You can prep the veggies. Make some healthy things that others will like too - like the cheese crisps that someone suggested. I make these for my friends and they love them. Limit tasting and tell others you don't want to "spoil" your dinner. If it gets too intense, take a short walk or step away from the action for a bit. Or do the non cooking like set the table. Try to make it about the company and not the food. GL Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

diane S.
on 11/16/17 10:30 am

P.S. Another good thing to make is the mashed up cauliflower dish with a bit of cream and parmesan cheese. Others love it and its good for you. Do the same thing with zucchini. DS

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

NYMom222
on 11/16/17 9:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

When I want to have a festive looking drink at a wedding or whatever function- I ask for water with a splash of cranberry with the fruit in it they have available- lemon, lime etc... and to please put it in a wine glass. Buy some Diet cranberry and you can do that at home. So many times I've had people ask me what I was drinking because it looked good.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/17/17 4:15 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I was thinking about my pre-op psych evaluation when I read this. The psychologist asked if I avoided social gatherings because of embarrassment about my weight. I didn't for the most part except for ****tail dress-up fundraisers which I opted out of once I got really big. After surgery I did avoid a couple of food centric activities early on when I couldn't eat (like Easter), but then I realized that I needed to learn to cope with those occasions or I would feel deprived (similar to avoiding all satisfying foods). Plus, at my age, going out to a restaurant is the most common social activity.

As the others suggested, if I'm a guest I try to bring something that I can eat. Shrimp as an appetizer is always appreciated and can serve as my primary meal if necessary. If I am hosting (not much these days), I'll have a great protein main dish and low carb veggies which I can eat. I do tend to get a dessert which won't tempt me too much and have no more than a couple of bites.

When we go out to eat (once or twice a week), I usually get a protein based appetizer (like ahi tuna) and only eat my usual portion (I have LOTS of leftovers).

I know your question is a little different, but you will be happiest if you can build some coping mechanisms so you can continue to participate. Sip your water/crystal lite/favorite drink while the others have wine. Perhaps plan a small snack for yourself during the prep (or just before) after which you won't be able to drink for a while anyway (while the others are drinking wine).

Good luck and happy holidays!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Ladyblu
on 11/17/17 5:52 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

I think that each person is different and has to handle the TG and Christmas dinners differently. If you love to cook (that would be me, both before and after surgery), then it becomes fun to modify and plan menus that respect the traditions and are also "on plan".

For those of us that hate to cook or look at it as a chore, then perhaps the surgery is an opportunity to pass that baton to others. We can make crafty stuff to decorate, set tables, help clean or perhaps just show up to someone else's feast. For those who can't pass the responsibilities, maybe enlisting others to help would work for you. Five women (or men) cooking in the kitchen can be a hoot!

I love the idea of sparkling water with a splash of cranberry and some fruit. It sounds wonderful. Put it in a fancy glass and voila! you are special too!

As far as tasting? I think we can all still do tasting. As a matter of fact, I think most of our meals would qualify as a "tasting". So I'm not sure why that would be off the table. Taste away. Drink your special drink, taste a smidge of this and a smidge of that. Laugh, talk and have fun. And remember how wonderful and different you will look and feel year after year. Imagine all the nice comments you will get.

I truly believe that most of what we struggle with is simply our perception of normal. Almost everyone hates to be different. But how different were we when we were so big that we were afraid to sit in a folding chair. I want the new different. I can pile food on my plate and only eat what I could and should or I can be very judicious on what I take.

One other observation. I know that not all families are loving and supportive. Those of us who have mean sister in laws and mothers who pick at us mercilessly, maybe we should consider going on a cruise for the holidays with a supportive friend or significant other. Now I'm going to be blunt. To hell with mean people. If I expect (and demand) that a stranger treat me with respect and kindness why in heaven's name would I allow a relative to treat me otherwise?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

Most Active
Recent Topics