Sleeve Gastrectomy - Metabolic Changes

Grim_Traveller
on 11/15/17 11:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There used to be a hard-core group of VSGers here who were defiant in there belief that their smaller sleeves (and thus the skill of their surgeon) was responsible for their success. And of course, anyone with a larger sleeve from some inept clod would doom those chumps to failure.

We have seen many with small sleeves do poorly, and many with larger sleeves do great. It is, obviously much more complicated.

But it is also the only time people will argue that "mine is smaller than yours."

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Donna L.
on 11/15/17 1:20 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The smaller sleeves are a big cause of GERD post op. I'm glad to have 40f...I can't imagine how much worse it'd be smaller.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

califsleevin
on 11/15/17 5:27 pm - CA

Ah, yes, the microsleeve crowd. They were also the big proponents of rushing to goal to take advantage of their "six month honeymoon" which was largely a function of diet fatigue from their dieting to get as much loss in within their six month honeymoon....

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

califsleevin
on 11/15/17 5:23 pm - CA

My wife has a DS sleeve that was initially about 4 oz - probably a 56-60Fr, vs my VSG sleeve with an initial capacity of about 2.5 oz, which probably corresponds to a 36ish Fr sleeve (assuming that the Rabkins even use a bougie - I never asked and don't care, as I'm more interested in the outcome than the process and specific tools they use), yet our meal sizes are roughly the same, many years out. Reference also some of the Dr. Matthew Weiner vids where he outlines the approximate volumetric progression, irrespective RNY or VSG. It's not just nominal capacity of the stomach, but also the throughput, which is quite dependent upon the meal composition - how much simple and slippery stuff vs. tougher, fibrous material. More even than the basic carbs vs. fats vs. protein thing as I find an artichoke just as filling and enduring in satiety as a piece of steak or chicken - things in real life are never as simple as the models we create to try to get our heads around a problem.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/17 6:58 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I very much wonder how long the metabolic changes last with VSG.

Donna L.
on 11/15/17 9:21 am, edited 11/15/17 1:21 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

There is a period of ~1 year or so where there are over-compensating benefits with most surgeries. Studies I read for the sleeve listed the blood serum stuff at about a year. Many people talk about the "honeymoon period," and it may be this science backs it up.

Of course, if one returns to old eating habits, it's possible to become obese and reverse the change again, even if you have a powerful DS, as they still absorb most if not all of very simple processed carbs.

Regardless of surgery, forming excellent habits post-op is the best way to lengthen the bonus effect.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics