Final reconstructive surgery update!

Gwen M.
on 11/7/17 6:15 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm totally dopey, but got this posted in the plastics forum and wanted to get it posted here too.

Woke up at 4am. Showered with Hibiclens. Left for hospital at 445. Got there with no issues and checked in by 530. Remembered not to pee before getting called back so I? could take the obligatory pregnancy test.

Lots of the staff remembered me :)

Got called back, peed in a cup, changed into my sexy hospital garb. Got the IV line, met anesthesiologist, did some intake with the nurse. Got scopolamine patch.

Then Dr Michaels came and marked me up. This took some time and wasn't very comfortable. Lots and lots of ink.

From there I? finished intake and it was about 730 so the ball got rolling pretty quickly. Met more people, said bye to Art. Got jabbed with heparin and then Versed in my line.

And that's pretty much the last I? remember until I? woke up in phase 1 recovery.

Things were good there. Got my first pain meds. Got taken to phase 2 where Art could join me. He got me a small white bear who I've named Femoris.

And then the stress began since I could NOT pee and this needed to happen before I'd be allowed to leave. At 7pm I? got moved back to phase 1, Art had to go back to the waiting area, and ugh.

I? finally was able to pee at 8pm (and I've wanted to pee a LOT since then).

My clothes were found, Art was instructed to bring the car around, and I? got dressed and moved into the transport chair.

And my BP tanked. I? was 100% sure I was going to pass out. It was super horrible and scary. While my nurse was getting me hooked up for BP testing she commented that I? might need to be admitted after all. (Something she'd talked me out earlier when my choices if I? hadn't peed by 11pm were admission or going home with a catheter.) So that added to the scariness.

But by the time she got my BP, I? been taking lots of slow, deep breaths, my BP was normal agin. I? opted to sit there in the transport chair for 30 mins and then try standing up again before heading to the car. Everything was fine from there.

Getting into the car was a challenge. It has seats with flared edges so I? tried to sit on the edge before bringing my legs in, but couldn't since edge was right into some painful places. Luckily there were pillows in the trunk for the ride home, so putting one of those in the seat leveled it out. It was still challenging due to the opening of the door and needing to bend my knees.

We got home, Art got me settled, and he went out to get soups and ice cream. I? think we got home around 1020? Much later than intended for sure. At least we missed rush hour?

Lance got home while Art was out and he's been on Gwen-duty all night. He's got Gwen-duty until Wednesday night when Art will take over. Sadly this involves not sleeping since I? need drugs every 2-3 hours.

Pain - I'm in a lot of it. When I? don't move it's pretty low and has a piercing type quality. When I? walk?! OMG. It goes to 11fc. My calves are especially sore and feel like I've just ended a charlie horse that lasted for hours. Lots of other places hurt too.

I? think he revised my LBL scar but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Going to the bathroom is hard. Getting there is full of pain and sitting down sucks, even with the toilet riser and arm bars. Wiping is super challenging since I can't spread my legs and there's a lot of swelling so it's hard to get my hand between my legs. That sucks. And I've had to pee a lot, so that's even more sucky. I? started using a peri-bottle to spray instead of wipe. I've also got something called a "butt buddy" which can hold wipe and allows for greater reach without any twisting.

I? think that's it. I'm having trouble staying awake and typing on the phone is especially challenging!)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JourneyBound
on 11/7/17 9:22 pm
VSG on 10/09/17

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

VSG 10/9/17

HW: 294.2 SW: 286.2 CW:174.6

STGW: 170 LTGW:140

Pre-op:-8 M1:-25.4 M2:-16.8 M3:-15.6 M4:-13.8 M5:-5.4 M6:-8.6 M7:-9.2 M8:-5 M9:-5.6 M10:-2.4

Ladyblu
on 11/8/17 5:18 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

I'm sorry you had/are having such a rough time. I am sending thoughts and prayers for a quick and less painless recovery.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

carolw1229
on 11/8/17 7:12 am
VSG on 10/18/17

I'm wishing you a quick and strong recovery. Take care of yourself and rest a lot so you can heal. It sounds like it's been difficult. You are so brave.

Kristi T.
on 11/8/17 10:24 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I think I might have felt some sympathy pain while reading your post!!:-) Oh my Gwen have you been through the ringer! I admire your dedication and attitude. So glad you have Art and Lance there to help you and give you support and love. Hang in there, you're doing amazing!

ShirlAus
on 11/8/17 12:07 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Sending you quick healing vibes from Australia

Glad you have good support from your guys

Be kind to yourself and rest lots

Shirley :)

LaurieJ64
on 11/8/17 12:22 pm

Best of wishes for a speedy recovery

Shannon S.
on 11/8/17 4:39 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Wishing you a quick and uneventful recovery!

Agran
on 11/8/17 6:23 pm

Take care of yourself, thinking of you and wishing for a quick recovery.

grandmagood
on 11/9/17 5:49 am
Revision on 08/01/14

Prayers sent for relief and speedy recovery. I am sure it will all be worth it in the end!

Most Active
Recent Topics