How do you know when you are full?

CC C.
on 11/3/17 11:15 am

Me too! Runny nose and hiccuping means I went too far. Plus I'll feel stuffed. I really need to slow down when I eat...

sweetpotato1959
on 11/6/17 12:17 pm

Use ice cream tasting spoon and chew each bite 10 times was our instructions...each 2 ounces would take 45 min to eat. Everything I ate except first 3-5 bites was always cold.

Feeling full is dependent on how restrictive the procedure is.( how small the pouch) in the past many years the surgery has progressed wonderfully. My pouch after surgery was less than 2 ounces until the swelling subsided...liquid proteins were my "go to" until I was 6 months out..was the best way to get in fluids required and protein. I stil use them when gastric conditions warrant.

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/17 7:07 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

That's one of my signs, hiccuping. No nose running. It really can sneak up on me. I will be eating what is usually a normal amount but somedays I fill up quicker!

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/17 11:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Every time I see a doctor or nutritionist tell someone to eat until they feel full, I want to scream. That is the dumbest, most insane bit of advice I can imagine. Honestly, they should lose their license for that.

No morbidly obese person knows when to stop eating. And no new postop ever feels full. It's not a good combination.

Weigh and measure your portions. Stop eating when your portion is finished, if not sooner.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/3/17 2:22 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Neesie57
on 11/6/17 7:33 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Thank you, thank you, thank you Grim! Eating until full is always a bad idea. If I eat until I'm full, I always pay for it with a half hour of discomfort. Sometimes, my mouth fills with saliva and I feel like throwing up. Happily, I've never thrown up since surgery, but that feeling is incredibly bad. If I eat too many carbs, I get a headache, nausea and diarrhea. It's not truly dumping, but close to it.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

CJ On Orcas
on 11/3/17 3:07 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Nose running, hiccups are signs that I have overeaten. Also, I can eat popcorn, crackers, bread endlessly and never feel full. And, I want to eat forwver then... carbs just make me more hungry. I do not agree that carbs satisfy. THEY DO NOT provide any satiety for me. Protein, fats do. And I would never, ever advise anyone to eat until they vomit.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/3/17 3:43 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I can only say chasing the full feeling is a lousy wl strategy, especially for you at this point. You just had surgery so you won't really feel the full feeling at this point & even when you do start getting that full feeling it becomes way too easy to depend on it to keep losing/maintaining.

Track your portions in an app like Mfp & stick to those portions. It will help you to not only lose weight but maintain it as well.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Fredbear
on 11/3/17 4:51 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I'm eleven months out and the only times (~5?) I've ever felt full are when I've been at parties and not paying attention to what I'm eating (hence I don't go to parties anymore...).

They must have done a real number on my vagus nerve, because there is never a time I feel full. Ever.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Donna L.
on 11/5/17 8:15 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I didn't have any restriction in Harvey until almost two years out. Most people feel it again between 6-12 months. We are all different, though, and nerves can take a long time to heal.

Fullness is...an odd thing. It's mechanical, chemical, and neurological. Satiety is not just about how much we eat to "fullness" - it's about eating food that stimulates certain hormones which have a particular result.

Eating to fullness is typically a bad idea. Most people who are "naturally" slim typically stop eating before they are full, when they are satisfied. Fullness and satisfaction aren't always the same thing.

Surgery is an excellent chance to reset this by measuring always. If you get your nutrition don't worry about being full...fullness is largely irrelevant if nutrition is met.

I think you are off to a great start measuring :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics