How do you know when you are full?

Donna L.
on 11/9/17 7:19 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I don't think bread is as bad from what I've seen, especially the far more dense/less digestible kinds. The Healthy Life bread is pretty low carb and not toooo awful.

Thankfully I have Celiac and wheat free bread tastes like glue, so I avoid it, haha.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/3/17 3:04 pm

This is the worst advice in the history of OH. This is worse than eating fun size Milky Ways to break a stall or a KFC bowl on the way home from the hospital.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/3/17 3:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On November 3, 2017 at 5:37 AM Pacific Time, califsleevin wrote:

The easiest way to find your capacity is to eat until you throw up, and then back off a couple of bites. Needless to say, that isn't the most practical approach. The problem is that our satiety signals are crossed up for a while - the vagus nerve has usually been cut, so there goes the signal to your brain that your stomach is starting to stretch, so time to stop. Carbohydrates also provide an early satiety signal, but we aren't eating much of them, so that's out the window, too.

We can go with limiting ourselves to our nominal stomach size (if you know - mine was 2.5 oz) and that's a good start, but our capacity is a combination of basic stomach size or capacity, and how much passes through it during the meal. This is what gets deceiving about these early stages, as we can usually eat a fair amount of liquids and mushy things with relatively little restriction as things tend to flow right through, but as we move into solid things, then that physical stomach capacity comes into play as the pyloric valve is closing up to let the stomach process those solids, so we need to be aware of these things as we progress toward solid real foods.

Disclaimer or no, this is TERRIBLE advice.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

califsleevin
on 11/3/17 4:07 pm - CA

I probably should have qualified it with a few more grins and LOL's. It stems from an old adage regarding alcohol fueled engines (such as used in Indy cars) where the leaner they are tuned, the more power they create, but also the hotter they run - so to optimize the tune, it is said that you lean it out until the engine blows up, then you back it off a turn from there.

The emphasis here, is that you want to avoid things coming back up, but it is hard to determine where that point is, particularly early on when a lot of our wires are crossed from surgery. So, we need to approach these things cautiously, giving due regard to the changing food consistencies that we are also dealing with at this time.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/17 7:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Or, use the proper size measuring cup, and stop when it's gone.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

califsleevin
on 11/3/17 7:51 pm - CA

Never used measuring cups, only go by mass.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Valerie G.
on 11/3/17 4:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Be aware of other signs of fullness, too. For instance, when I'm nearing capacity, my nose starts to run. Soon thereafter, and my final warning, I hiccup about 3 times.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Donna L.
on 11/9/17 7:20 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Me too. Thanks, post-op vagus nerve >.>

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Ladyblu
on 11/3/17 7:54 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

I'm almost at 5 weeks out from surgery. In the liquid phase, I was concerned that my new stomach was too big as I could drink a 12 oz chobani yogurt drink with no issues (although I did sip it slowly). When I moved to more solid food, my fears were alleviated. The first time I ate "real" food (baked cod) I got a little "pang" from my new tummy as I ate. Then the next bite said, you are FULL. Uncomfortably full (30 minutes of hell).

I have only threw up once. I didn't listen to the pang and took 3 more bites. Won't do that again.

The key is to eat slowly, chew well, and pay close attention to what your new tummy tells you.

Weighing and measuring is also something that I do. I will either weigh what I'm eating before and then again when I'm done (assuming I don't finish) so I know how much of something I ate. This is very helpful for things that are on the bone or things that I can't finish. As time has gone on, I have been able to get a visual feel for what a new Diane portion looks like. But I don't ever assume that I can fini**** I still listen very closely as that overfull feeling is not pleasant.

I know everyone is different, but that is how it works for me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/17 10:32 am
VSG on 03/28/17

If my nose is running or I start hiccupping, I'm overfull and should remember to eat less of that food next time. I can eat 4oz of egg or fish, endless amounts of yogurt or cottage cheese, and around 3oz of beef or chicken. Eating too much is the worst feeling - I hope you never experience it!

Most Active
Recent Topics